• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Kanger BVC coil - leaking/gurgling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
For the past 5 days I've been happily using a new Kanger MOW tank with the BVC coil it came fitted with ....this morning, gurgling/leaking and siphoning.
Looked a few times and there's liquid sitting on top of the battery.
I've tried adjusting the tanks airflow but it makes no difference.

I've used this tank/coil with a few different flavours: fruit, dessert sweet types & custard etc. Last one was a Custard with a little Snickerdoodle.

I just ordered two more MOW tanks after getting the odd leaking Unitank mini, so hope this isn't going to be a problem.
I'll try a fresh coil and see how that goes.

Also wondering if the BVC's can be washed/rinsed successfully.

terry w

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2012
Manchester UK
For the past 5 days I've been happily using a new Kanger MOW tank with the BVC coil it came fitted with ....this morning, gurgling/leaking and siphoning.
Looked a few times and there's liquid sitting on top of the battery.
I've tried adjusting the tanks airflow but it makes no difference.

I've used this tank/coil with a few different flavours: fruit, dessert sweet types & custard etc. Last one was a Custard with a little Snickerdoodle.

I just ordered two more MOW tanks after getting the odd leaking Unitank mini, so hope this isn't going to be a problem.
I'll try a fresh coil and see how that goes.

Also wondering if the BVC's can be washed/rinsed successfully.

Trisha, i don`t know an awful lot about these tanks but if they are similar to the protank coils etc, you could try doubleing up the little silicone washer on the coil unit.

I think it was bob who posted the link on the FT thread to the youtube vid, showing how to do it. If you do that, i may just solve the issue. Not much help, i know, but you could give it a shot. :)

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
Trisha, i don`t know an awful lot about these tanks but if they are similar to the protank coils etc, you could try doubleing up the little silicone washer on the coil unit.

I think it was bob who posted the link on the FT thread to the youtube vid, showing how to do it. If you do that, i may just solve the issue. Not much help, i know, but you could give it a shot. :)
No, they're different coils. I found one on Youtube a week or so ago where the 'fix' included the second washer as well as replacing the flavour wick? with a fresh piece of thread. Ian is going to send me some when he gets back, but it was for the problem I have with the Unitanks - suddenly found I had two that leak!
I have none of the thread yet to renew the wick, but the second washer didn't help. I can wait - got some spare Unitanks in the cupboard! :laugh:

So, I got the MOW tank to see if it's better, and they have the new vertical coil Kanger V2. They also have airflow control too.
Worked a dream for 5 days then started gurgling and leaking late last night.

I cleaned/dried it all well with tissue and re-filled it a while ago, and it's mostly working OK again - not perfect, so I'll see how it goes.

terry w

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2012
Manchester UK
Worked a dream for 5 days then started gurgling and leaking late last night.

I cleaned/dried it all well with tissue and re-filled it a while ago, and it's mostly working OK again - not perfect, so I'll see how it goes.

The problem may be that after 5 days trish the coil will be gunked up, and that would definitely cause leaking/gurgling. So as you are not into rebuilding them the only solutions are, when they are gunked up, soak overnight in vodka, wash with warm water dry them off, then do a quick dry burn. That should work.

EDIT: how much are replacement coils trish, it might be worth investing in a few more.

Last edited:

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
The problem may be that after 5 days trish the coil will be gunked up, and that would definitely cause leaking/gurgling. So as you are not into rebuilding them the only solutions are, when they are gunked up, soak overnight in vodka, wash with warm water dry them off, then do a quick dry burn. That should work.
Yay! I must have learned something along the way ...it's been soaking in vodka in a medicine pot for the past hour! I remembered buying a small bottle of it a while back after reading about using vodka somewhere ..likely the FT thread!
It started gurgling again right after I got it working again!
Working nicely with a new coil.

how much are replacement coils trish, it might be worth investing in a few more.
I can get them for £5 for 5 when I buy a new Aerotank mini or £8 for 5 from myEpack. FT are a bit cheaper, and I do have some on the way from them! :)
I don't mind replacing them - it's still cheaper than smoking!
Apparently there's an art to re-building these ..think there's a video on Youtube but I haven't seen it :facepalm: :laugh:

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK

terry w

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2012
Manchester UK
Yay! I must have learned something along the way ...it's been soaking in vodka in a medicine pot for the past hour! I remembered buying a small bottle of it a while back after reading about using vodka somewhere ..likely the FT thread!
It started gurgling again right after I got it working again!
Working nicely with a new coil.

I can get them for £5 for 5 when I buy a new Aerotank mini or £8 for 5 from myEpack. FT are a bit cheaper, and I do have some on the way from them! :)
I don't mind replacing them - it's still cheaper than smoking!
Apparently there's an art to re-building these ..think there's a video on Youtube but I haven't seen it :facepalm: :laugh:

Ha yes trish, we are learning all the time, all part of the fun. :D At least they aren`t expensive to replace, if the soaking method doesn`t work. But it should work fine, just see how you get on with the one you have soaking now trish, but i would leave it a few hours first. Good luck. :)

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
Ha yes trish, we are learning all the time, all part of the fun. :D At least they aren`t expensive to replace, if the soaking method doesn`t work. But it should work fine, just see how you get on with the one you have soaking now trish, but i would leave it a few hours first. Good luck. :)
I'll leave it overnight and rinse it tomorrow! I did expect a little bit longer than that though with it. A week and I'm happy.
Come to think of it, after two different fruit ones, I'd had a bit of Steamgunk Snickerdoodle in it and then when down to 1/4 tank, mixed that with custard ...recalling the rapid gunking up with the Jamaican ginger, perhaps I expected too much!

terry w

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2012
Manchester UK
I'll leave it overnight and rinse it tomorrow! I did expect a little bit longer than that though with it. A week and I'm happy.
Come to think of it, after two different fruit ones, I'd had a bit of Steamgunk Snickerdoodle in it and then when down to 1/4 tank, mixed that with custard ...recalling the rapid gunking up with the Jamaican ginger, perhaps I expected too much!

A sacrifice we all must go through with the gunkers. :laugh:

terry w

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2012
Manchester UK
Yes, a take it or leave it situation! :)
Must say, the Mint Choc Vapetto is a nice rich, sweet enough one, and it doesn't do too badly for coils. The Jamaican Ginger started gunking up after a day if lucky!

I am glad i didn`t like the jamaican then. :D My worst culprit is the SD&C, although with rayon i can put a lot more through my tanks now, easily 20-30 ml before i need to clean them.

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
I am glad i didn`t like the jamaican then. :D My worst culprit is the SD&C, although with rayon i can put a lot more through my tanks now, easily 20-30 ml before i need to clean them.
Last time I used either of those was when using eSmarts - couldn't bear to wreck coils on Evods and other Kanger tanks! ..and yes, the Spottedick didn't last that much longer for coils.

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
soak overnight in vodka, wash with warm water dry them off, then do a quick dry burn. That should work.

I just took a look at the coil in vodka ..barely a tinge of colour in the vodka, even when I swished the coil around a bit ...not sure these coils will 'wash' like the others!

terry w

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2012
Manchester UK
I just took a look at the coil in vodka ..barely a tinge of colour in the vodka, even when I swished the coil around a bit ...not sure these coils will 'wash' like the others!

Never mind trish, give it a try anyway and if it doesn`t work at least you can sup the vodka, YUK only kidding of course.:toast:

dw117

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2014
Kernow
I popped one of the "upgraded" dual coils you're talking about (1.2ohm) into my mpt3 and as far as I can tell it performs just about the same as the other kanger dual coils. Might drink a bit more juice but I'm comparing to a 1.5ohm coil of the other type so could just be the higher power.

Like someone else mentioned (and I can't find the answer online, nor have I taken one apart YET), are they vertical coils?

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
I popped one of the "upgraded" dual coils you're talking about (1.2ohm) into my mpt3 and as far as I can tell it performs just about the same as the other kanger dual coils. Might drink a bit more juice but I'm comparing to a 1.5ohm coil of the other type so could just be the higher power.

Like someone else mentioned (and I can't find the answer online, nor have I taken one apart YET), are they vertical coils?
Interesting question: apart from the chimney, they look a lot like Aspire coils. The inner material is similar, and on the Kanger one, there's an arrangement like a vertical ladder which has a coil, a wick and a coil. If I was into rebuilding coils, this looks pretty fiddly to me! :) Looks like a rubber part on the older coils has been replaced with a silicon one too.
If you look at this video at around 26 and 29 minutes you can see both of them being taken apart:
A PBusardo Review - The New Kanger AeroTank Mini & Mega - YouTube

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
Never mind trish, give it a try anyway and if it doesn`t work at least you can sup the vodka, YUK only kidding of course.:toast:
Well, the Busardo video shows in the earlier section, the whole thing being washed including the coil, and once rinsed & dried, it seems to work OK, so we'll see. :)
As for the vodka? ...no thanks - hate the stuff even clean out of the bottle! :laugh:

dw117

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2014
Kernow
Interesting question: apart from the chimney, they look a lot like Aspire coils. The inner material is similar, and on the Kanger one, there's an arrangement like a vertical ladder which has a coil, a wick and a coil. If I was into rebuilding coils, this looks pretty fiddly to me! :) Looks like a rubber part on the older coils has been replaced with a silicon one too.
If you look at this video at around 26 and 29 minutes you can see both of them being taken apart:
A PBusardo Review - The New Kanger AeroTank Mini & Mega - YouTube

Ah I see. looks like the main difference is that vertical cylinder of wicking material, like an aspire. I've seen rebuilding videos for aspire coils where they leave that cylinder intact and just place the new coil in the same position. That cylinder won't be getting burned it's just for wicking, looks fiddly to get your new coil into place though.

I had a go at the weekend at rebuilding the other type of dual coil kanger heads and it worked fine (for a while). Then left it for a few minutes and tried again and it wouldn't fire every time. When it did it gurgled. Turned out there was some leakage through the bottom and the battery contact was full of juice. Will have to try again. Maybe I didn't put enough wicking material back in to hold the juice where the coil is?

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
Will have to try again. Maybe I didn't put enough wicking material back in to hold the juice where the coil is?
That was one suggestion as to why I've got a couple of gurgling/leaking mini Unitanks. I'll try replacing the thin wicking threads with some thicker stuff soon.
The other suggestion is to also add a second silicon washer to the outside body of the coil. (I tried just doing that - didn't work).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread