Kanger protank - disappointed.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

roasted

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
USA
Not a good product IMO, if I have to do maintenance to avoid burn hits...

Just my .02

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Agreed. In other news... New clean head and I'm stuck with 3.4v at 2.6 ohm unless I want to rock some burnt flavor. Now I'm kicking myself for not bringing my carto tank with me today. I'll definitely be sticking with my ibtanked setup as it's so problem free for me. For those of you not wanting a carto tank due to slipping, pbusardo recently reviewed two cheaply priced locking carto tanks that he thought very highly of.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Unscrew the tank to avoid dry hits!!!!! I have mine up to 2-3 turns loose you will see bubbles rise .. Dry hits gone!!! It doesn't leak like this either once the tank pressure equalizes. I run like this all day. It gives you a juice control. And yes the air tube doesn't even touch the cup seal and I have no leaking. Just don't pocket it loose jostleing will disrupt the pressure screw back tight for rough journeys. I use vg so depending on thickness of your juice will determine how far you need to unscrew it. Bubbles are good!
Your day is saved

99BA30AE-DF6D-4497-B217-FE9D7FB26C39-4797-000005D1EC215AA4.jpg

roasted

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
USA
Unscrew the tank to avoid dry hits!!!!! I have mine up to 2-3 turns loose you will see bubbles rise .. Dry hits gone!!! It doesn't leak like this either once the tank pressure equalizes. I run like this all day. It gives you a juice control. And yes the air tube doesn't even touch the cup seal and I have no leaking. Just don't pocket it loose jostleing will disrupt the pressure screw back tight for rough journeys. I use vg so depending on thickness of your juice will determine how far you need to unscrew it. Bubbles are good!
Your day is saved

I'm all right with unscrewing the thing now and then, but I wouldn't want it wide open like that. I'd trust even the slipperiest carto tank in my pocket for a jog before I do that. :p

What bothers me about the unscrewing every-now-and-then-thing is this... new head, fully washed and dried...

1. Fill up tank
  2. Take 2-3 hits @ 3.8v/2.6ohm
  3. Burnt taste

Am I to unscrew it to fix the vacuum between steps 1 and 2, and then again between 2 and 3? If I could get a dozen or two vapes out of it before having to do that, I'd be fine with it, but with how constantly this happens, no thanks.

I really wish I could say I was exaggerating with this, but I've sat here every night on the deck this week with a text editor open on my laptop taking notes as to what exactly I'm doing. It's mind boggling to re-read everything and think, ahh, yep, should have worked fine.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Am I to unscrew it to fix the vacuum between steps 1 and 2, and then again between 2 and 3?

Actually yes.. Once the pressure is stabilized you can leave it loose. Yeah you can't pocket it like that though. It does fine if its standing mostly upright all day. I agree it sucks but its making it work for me.

Also, I am getting sick of this thing I was just saying today I'm done with this piece biggest waste of 18.99 I have had vaping. I could have got a oddy clone for 25, and been much better off. At least its made to be rebuilt. I'm hating this rubber grommet right now. It sucks crank the voltage too high and you can sear it to the point you're vape tastes like burnt rubber for good afterwards.

I guess if you just want to buy a bunch of heads and toss them mybe it would be good. I intended to rebuild them... and that's not really what they are for with the rubber grommet.

I'm getting and oddity or an itathca clone.

Last edited:

rogergendron1

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
woburn ma
If you rebuild the heads with 28g kanthal micro coil and use 3mm siloca they work flawless

I will agree though the stock protank is a big waste of money and the heads are way out of spec none meter out where they should .

Mine is perfect now and rocking it on a mech with results similar to the diver or killer atty

Attachments

• 2013-08-12 02.24.05.jpg
    2013-08-12 02.24.05.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 2013-08-12 01.45.53.jpg
    2013-08-12 01.45.53.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 87

ElectricalSocket

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Houston
I see a lot of complaining because silica wicks suck. Ok, DIY silica wicks may be ok, I don't know. Thing is though, ALL of the clearomizers come with crappy silica wicks, so you can't really say this or that device is trash just because the wick sucks. If that's the case, ALL clearos are trash, and that's not the case. PT-2 is a huge win.

My first e-cig was a CE5 around 6ish months ago. The coil was wrapped so tight around the wick, you couldn't just pull it out. With the Protanks though, you can. You have no excuse, pull that nasty silica out and put something else in there. Hair probably tastes better. Throw some cotton in there though, seriously.

Fiddle-free/maintenance-free clearos don't exist yet. How long would it take to drive to the store to buy smokes? Spend that amount of time to jam some Q-tip or cotton ball through the coil. Just do it and start enjoying your $20 investment...unless frustration just gets you off or something ;)

PS
Put some wick over the coil so there isn't leaking and even more frustration.

roasted

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
USA
Revisited the Protank for the 19th time. Rocking it at 2.7 ohm, 3.2 volt, one flavor wick removed on a newly installed and washed head with 80/20 liquid. Guess who's getting burnt hits? 3.2 on 2.7... burning... how on earth... I'm hesitant to remove the other flavor wick as the darn thing is gurgling quite a bit as it is.

In a semi unrelated note, I noticed something pretty awesome about my carto tank. With the Protank, or any other clearo, I can see an increase in the vape as I ramp up the voltage in a somewhat predictable/proportional manner. In my carto tank, rocking it at 3.2 volt really doesn't give me much less vape than 4.2 volt. That said, it feels like I can use it at a much lower voltage, still get the vape and flavor I'm after, and likely prolong the life of the cartomizers due to them not burning as hot.

On topic, I plan to pick up some more kanthal. The kanthal I have is ribbon kanthal. It's physically tough to be using ribbon kanthal in the Protank head as the space available isn't something that exactly works out. I wrapped it as much as I could, installed it, 0.9 ohm. Meh. I'll get some more and try a rebuilt head using the regular kanthal and 3mm silica. Hopefully this yields better results than, well, all of the above experiences with the PT1/PT2. :/

Fullknight

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2012
Oklahoma
I know this is about the Protank ,but others have mentioned carto tanks. I like this tank. The screw on the bottom can be used to punch cartos I have read. I do know that you can tighten the screw to keep the carto from
slipping out. No leaking or gurgling. I really like it.
https://www.fasttech.com/product/1336002

dale1962

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2009
Charlotte,NC
I got my PT2 friday and luckily other than a airyer draw than I'm use to haven't had any problems yet.I have been using it on MVP at 4.8V,Vamo2 at 9 watts with 50/50 juice.The head is 2.2ohms and haven't touched(removed) the wicks.

Overall its Ok if the draw was tighter,might get one of those air controller's.On another note also got some evods and am totally impressed by them so far.This is my first run with BCC's...

roasted

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
USA
I got my PT2 friday and luckily other than a airyer draw than I'm use to haven't had any problems yet.I have been using it on MVP at 4.8V,Vamo2 at 9 watts with 50/50 juice.The head is 2.2ohms and haven't touched(removed) the wicks.

Overall its Ok if the draw was tighter,might get one of those air controller's.On another note also got some evods and am totally impressed by them so far.This is my first run with BCC's...

I hear you there. While I can't really bring myself to recommend the Protank, the EVOD is a different beast. I love that thing. I wouldn't mind seeing a higher capacity glass EVOD that works as well as the current EVOD...

dale1962

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2009
Charlotte,NC
As far as the Evods go I thought I had some Ego-510 adapters but all I had was 510-510 ones so haven't been able to use them on nothing but spinner and MVP :(.Want fit on any of my other devices.Thinking of getting the SID since its inexpensive and can use the evods and read the ohms on the evod heads as well.Any other inexpensive ego/510 threaded devices that will work with the evods someone could suggest tube or box but has to read resistence...

Surprised how well evods hit with the spinners though.

txtumbleweed

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Walla Walla

roasted

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
USA
That is basically what the mini Protank 2 is, There is a co-op for them right now for 8.00 each. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ank-2-mini-protank-2-heads-1-8-2-2-co-op.html

I have traditionally had trust issues with it since it shares the 'protank' name.

That being said, in a strange twist of fate, I began having flooded cartomizers last night in my otherwise-olde-faithful cartotank. I took a new Protank head out of the pack and held it on the edge of my mouth. I noticed immediately that I could taste oils. It reminded me of those times when you're working on your car and you put a bolt in your mouth to hold it for a second and forget it's covered in motor oil or grease and you get that kind of taste... yeah that's what I'm getting at. I tasted that with this Protank head, however the previous heads I washed out. Previously when I washed them out, I would just hold them under luke warm water for about 30 seconds, let them dry, and then vape on. This time I did something different. Considering the magnitude of oily taste I experienced straight out of the pack, I got some pliers out and held the head (with the rubber washer slid upwards on the post) under the hottest water that my faucet could produce for the better part of 3 minutes straight.

That said, I've been vaping with my PT2 all last night without incident. Granted, I am still keeping it low, as I've found that even lower voltage vapes are decently pleasing (and if it prolongs the life of the coil, I'm all for that), but we'll see what happens when I go out and about today. I'm definitely bringing my EVOD with me as a backup. I just hope this time there aren't any relapses. :)

EDIT - I inched it up to 4.0v @ 2.6 ohm. So far, no burning and it's performing decently. I took no flavor wicks out of this head... just gave it an extremely thorough wash beforehand. I bought some 32ga kanthal and 3mm wick today, so I'll rebuild some of the other heads I have and see what happens with them. For *now*, the stock head untouched aside from a thorough bath seems to be working moderately well... hmm... I wonder if I just wasn't washing each head thoroughly enough before I fired them up before?

Last edited:

corsairhawkvap3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2013
United States
Hey roasted i'd recommend you buying some 2mm ekowool to rebuild your PT2 heads. The ekowool wicks amazing! I'm using 32 kanthal 6 wraps around 2mm ekowool no flavor wicks at 2.0 ohms vaping at 9 watts with a 50/50 ratio juice. Flavor is amazing and i could chain vape as much as i want. Just my :2c: =) Also always try to rebuild your PT/2 heads the stock one are garbage compared to rebuilding them.

Liquidrino

Sep 21, 2013
Overseas
I hear you there. While I can't really bring myself to recommend the Protank, the EVOD is a different beast. I love that thing. I wouldn't mind seeing a higher capacity glass EVOD that works as well as the current EVOD...

You mean like the 5ml Hypertank?
5ml_HyperTank_BCC_Glass_Clearomizer_3__32871.1376698731.360.360.jpg

Looks EVOD-y to me, and uses the same coil assemblies.

Dave379

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Independence, Mo.
I just recently got a couple of Kanger Evods because I was having issues with the ProTank giving off a burnt taste, especially when I was vaping Vanilla Custard and some other sweet flavors. The Evods work great and I'm not getting any kind of burnt taste from them but what was a little odd is that they sent me one with the old discontinued short stem Evod head and one with a standard universal Kanger head. The one that had the old short stem Evod head flooded with in 7-8 draws and the other one with the universal head worked just fine. I just replaced the short stem head with a universal head and it works fine now but from my first and obviously last experience with the short stem head, I'd have to say that the new universal heads are an improvement. Either way, I'm just glad that I decided to try out the Evods. I don't even see a reason to use my tank anymore. Hmmm, I guess size really doesn't matter:blush:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread