Kanger Protank FSUSA shorting out eGo-c Batteries???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time I walk into FSUSA I ask about the Kanger Protanks and they're always sold out. Last Sunday I walked in and they had a ton. I almost bought one but the manager walked up to me and started talking to me about them. He said that in the last week they had 5 people come back with shorted eGo-c batteries. He thought they were the wicks. Maybe the 1.8ohm was too much for the battery so he switched out the wick to a 2.5ohm and tested it but it still shorted. He said he was only able to reset 3 of the 5 and because of this he was no longer able to warranty the eGo-c batteries if I used the Protank. I'm totally befuddled with how this would even work.

Has anybody else had an issue like this? Maybe a remedy I could tell the manager about. He still sells the EVOD with no issues. I have 2 of those and love them. I REALLY want a Protank so I would love to figure out what's going on here. I could buy from another retailer but if I come back with any battery issues they most likely won't help me.

fabricator4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Mackay, Qld. Australia
I've never seen a short on either of my Protanks, or heard of it happening, and a 1.8Ω coil is fine on an Ego battery. The only time I've had a short with a bottom coil device was with a Vapeonly Mega BCC, and it's not clear what or how it happened. The Vapeonly head is held in place by the silicon rubber grommet in the base though, so I suspect something was mis-aligned. This can not happen with the Protank. The design is quite similar to the Evod, and in fact the heads are interchangeable.

The Vapeonly was on an Ego Twist when it happened, and the twist has short circuit protection, fortunately. Nothing happened except I was a bit confused as to why it wouldn't fire.

The only thing I can find on a google search is this one:
Bottom Coil Short Issues (EVOD, ProTank, Viva, etc.) | Vaping Guides to the Electronic Cigarette

It seems feasible, and would affect any coil regardless of what resistance it was supposed to be. Seems like it might be a quality control issue on a few batches of Protank heads, but one that is very easy to fix.

This is a common method of fixing coil wires (center pin and grommet) so could potentially affect a wide range of bottom coil devices. It's probably a timely reminder that we should inspect all heads carefully before putting them in a device and applying current. Some heads have a wider center pin than others, and this potentially puts any untrimmed tail wire closer to the -ve side of the 510 connector.

Last edited:

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
I'm not sure what FSUSA is (is it Freedom smokes by any chance?)

So let me get this straight, the manager is now saying that they will not warranty out a battery that they sold with a tank that they sold because there is a known issue with it? So why are they still selling the protank then?

If it is Freedom Smokes, there is nothing on their website about defective inventory so I say put a protank on your battery and enjoy it. If it shorts your battery, take it back to the store and if they ask, just deny ever using a protank. There is no way they can prove otherwise. I mean, I know it's a risk, but I've not heard of any issues using protanks with ego batteries.

Of course, if it does short your battery and they won't warranty it out, then that is your risk, but they are batteries and designed to work with various clearos and I find it quite ridiculous that the manager is saying no, don't use the protank (but we'll continue to sell it)

I've used a protank on my spinners on and off for the last 3 months with no issues shorting.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Horse Hockey - unless he has a bunch of Counterfeits or has Batteries with very wide center pins and is tightening to much to short the connections.
ProTank does not come with a 1.8ohm installed. It comes standard with 2x 2.5ohm coils and a beauty ring.

Just popped my Protank/2.5ohm om my itty bitty 450mah battery and It vapes. Not very warm, but it is working fine, no shorts.

Ask why it is, no other supplier seems to have this issue...................Do business elsewhere.

Dusty_D

Original Guru
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Toronto, Canada
dustysfoodieadventures.blogspot.ca
I'm with Crxess on this. Customers over tightening their ProTanks on their eGo batteries to get the flush look will end up pushing down the centre pin and cause a short. The eGo's are notorious for doing that. Is FSUSA checking to make sure that the centre pins are not pushed down too much?

cdf294

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
30° 16' 0"/97° 44' 34"
I agree with the above posters on the problem.
I run Protanks only on my eGo Twists and Spinners without any damage. Have also used 1.8, 2.2, and 2.5 attys without issues.
Just don't tighten the Protank until it stops- it will definitely screw in deep enough to damage the battery. I usually just screw in the PT until I start feeling resistance and then stop and have not had a problem.

I have a friend that works there and we were all talking sort of unofficially. I guess I should have said that before. I haven't been there since so I'm not sure what the official word is. He didn't want to sell any of the Protanks until he figured out what was going on with them. I'm thinking since he warned me that the Protank could short out my battery is why he wouldn't ensure the life of my battery. Basically I could still buy the Protank if I really wanted to but he's not going to replace a battery knowing that he gave me a part that has recently been known to kill it.

The positive coil coming in contact with the negative body is what I suspect. I'm going to print that article out, show it to him and see what he says. Also, screwing in the tank too much would make a lot of sense but I'm pretty sure they already have lots of experience dealing with pushed in center pins. I've overheard associates telling other customers that you can just pull the pin back out and they will vape again.

They've had some bad luck I guess lately. I wanted a big bottle of raspberry but evidently they got a bad batch and warned me about that too. FSUSA is the only vendor in town so that's who i deal with. I'm hoping next time i go in all this dust is settled and i can vape my raspberry in a protank.

I'm with Crxess on this. Customers over tightening their ProTanks on their eGo batteries to get the flush look will end up pushing down the centre pin and cause a short. The eGo's are notorious for doing that. Is FSUSA checking to make sure that the centre pins are not pushed down too much?

I tried my ProTank on a brand new eGo-C Upgrade battery and experienced the same issue...

FIX: Loosen the tank until its barely connected. SLOWLY tighten the tank and fire the battery every few twists until you get vapor production. (If you short the battery, then loosen again until you hit the mark.) My tank was wobbly at this point, so I unscrewed the cone until it made contact with the tank base. It should be both secure and working now!

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
This problem only occurs on eGo-C? Does that include the eGo-C Twist?
No, it occurs from Over tightening.
Look to make sure your Coil head is sticking past the 510 threads a tiny bit. That is the inner Contact point.Over tightening pushes that pin up and some battery center pins can bridge the gap to the threads...ZAP!

Also always inspect coils to be sure NO tail wires are sticking out. Both coil wires should be cut short near the pin grommet.

dailywalker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2013
Fantastica
I just ordered 2 Twists today. I had an issue putting a protank on a 900 ego battery and stripped the 510 threads out. I figured it was time to go ahead and order 1100 twists and upgrade the out and about daily vaping equipment to VV. I know I will not be using the protank with the twists now. Thanks for the heads up. I got my CE6s and a few mini protanks to use. I just got 2 new 2.5ml REM tanks but I haven't used them yet.

the issue has been resolved at FSUSA(Freedom Smoke USA). all problems addressed can be at fault here but the issue at hand was the coil wires sticking out. the first response is your answer if your Protank or any bcc tries to short out your battery. im not sure why the guy wasn't able to fix the few batteries i talked about but i would put my money on the battery itself. the ego-c has short protection so if anything happens then just plug it into the charger and it will reset itself. yes the center pin can be pressed in on the battery and cause a short as whell. you can pull it back out and the battery should still work. FSUSA now sells the Protanks and Protank II. i am now a happy owner of the Protank II. my evods have been set aside or just used for flavors i dont use all the time because i just love the Protank now.

just give yourself a mental note that before using a bran new head to check the coil wires sticking out and make sure that they dont stick out beyond the rubber gasket. they will stick out a little and thats ok but if they extend past then it will cause a short. THX all for the support!

JUDGMENT AFFIRMED

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2012
BELLE VERNON PA.
The only thing I can find on a google search is this one:
Bottom Coil Short Issues (EVOD, ProTank, Viva, etc.) | Vaping Guides to the Electronic Cigarette

It seems feasible, and would affect any coil regardless of what resistance it was supposed to be. Seems like it might be a quality control issue on a few batches of Protank heads, but one that is very easy to fix.

No, it occurs from Over tightening.
Look to make sure your Coil head is sticking past the 510 threads a tiny bit. That is the inner Contact point.Over tightening pushes that pin up and some battery center pins can bridge the gap to the threads...ZAP!

Also always inspect coils to be sure NO tail wires are sticking out. Both coil wires should be cut short near the pin grommet.

I think the last sentence by crxess is probably the issue in this particular case - so look at your replacement coils for wires sticking out.

oh yeah also if you are having problems with over tightening or are worried you might over tighten then i would highly suggest getting the lanyard for the ego batteries. you dont have to use the lanyard. i actually think its kind of silly seeing everybody wearing these things around thier necks. kind of makes you look like youve been put on nicotine life support, like you cant walk away from your e-cig for more than 20 minutes... but thats only just an opinion. its the collar that you want that wraps around where the button is. here is just a random pic from the net so you know what im talking about

ego-lanyard-2_wm.jpg

i use the collar that attaches the lanyard as ensurance that i cant tighten any further. the collar sticks just over the first thread or so. when i tighten i can tighten my tank snug up to the collar. its pretty nice because i get that flush appearance without any gaps. i can also tighten up snug enough(still not cranking it but basically till it stops) so nothing manages to get unscrewed in my pocket. like i said i dont use the lanyard so i grabbed my dremel and hacked off the loop. i wont ever have any problems with that center pin because i simply cant tighten beyond the point where the collar is.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
The stock wicks for Kanger Protech are prone to shorting right out of the package or shortly after beginning use. Test all new wicks prior to using, or rebuild. If rebuilding, be sure to clip the positive end of coil prior too inserting positive post.

I have yet to have any Kanger head short on me, fortunate maybe I guess, this includes my PT, PT2, T3's, T3S's, and Evods. Another thing you can do with the PT and PT2 on an Ego, tighten down to where you have just enough contact, then use the beauty ring that comes with the PT/PT2 that screws onto the Ego Cone threading, snug that up flush with the bottom of your PT/PT2 to prevent wobble then.

HDVaper

Ultra Super Senior Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
www.oktom.com
Every time I walk into FSUSA I ask about the Kanger Protanks and they're always sold out. Last Sunday I walked in and they had a ton. I almost bought one but the manager walked up to me and started talking to me about them. He said that in the last week they had 5 people come back with shorted eGo-c batteries. He thought they were the wicks. Maybe the 1.8ohm was too much for the battery so he switched out the wick to a 2.5ohm and tested it but it still shorted. He said he was only able to reset 3 of the 5 and because of this he was no longer able to warranty the eGo-c batteries if I used the Protank. I'm totally befuddled with how this would even work.

Has anybody else had an issue like this? Maybe a remedy I could tell the manager about. He still sells the EVOD with no issues. I have 2 of those and love them. I REALLY want a Protank so I would love to figure out what's going on here. I could buy from another retailer but if I come back with any battery issues they most likely won't help me.

B.S.!!!!!!! I have 9 or 10 and NEVER had such a problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread