Kanger protank rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncHellMatt

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2013
Boston
Since I wasn't loving the taste from the wicks on the ProTank, and I just received some bamboo based wick materials, I decided to give this a shot.

First try: Built something using paper clips to hold the wick steady while I wrapped the wire, nice and snug, evenly spaced. Checked it on my Vamo. 2.0Ω... right ON. Then, basking in the glory of my perfect wrapping skills on the first try, I hit the button to look for hot spots. Only... I hadn't added any juice. Everything got all nice and crispy and an amazing smoke wafted up. Either I screwed up or we've elected a new Pope.

Second try: Just could NOT get my fingers to work correctly, spacing was all wonky and when I checked it was 0.1Ω. Curses.

Third try: Wrapped perfectly, checked and got 1.9Ω. Better than a kick in the teeth. Wet the wick, but still not quite enough to keep it from roasting.

May not have done it perfectly, but this is a fun attempt. It seems Bin Laden is putting up a fight from beyond the grave.

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
I'm vapeing my pro tank on a vammo. It's in rms mode. Removed one of 3 wicks. And every time I refill,I'm left with burned dry hits.not always.most of the time it is mind bindingly good. Ideas?

Have you tried removing the silicone cup that sits on the air tube just above the flavor wicks? That's what I do and never get dry, burnt hits.

Butters78

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
San Antonio, Texas, United States
I've tried three attempts not good yet.

First coil was 1.3 so i tossed..

2nd worked ok but gurgled.

3rd gurgled Real bad.

I'm not doing good with the flavor wicks. Still not used to it. I'm a pro at vivi novas and like the phoenix rda. I have 3ml, 2ml, 1.5, and 1 to work with. I'll try again at work tommorow. I'm using evod heads though cause the protanks are too airy heh. They are the same concept.

bigleft

Unregistered Supplier
Feb 15, 2013
Roslyn, Pennsylvania, United States
Had to check out the post when I saw the title as I did this same thing a couple days ago, with a few minor differences.

I recently got into genesis style RBAs with SLR coils and SS mesh wicks. So I'm looking into my drawer of goodies, saw the protank and thought, I wonder....

So with a little patients I was able to build a 1.1ohm coil with a tiny little SS mesh wick through it. It was a little tricky, because with the mesh you need to take care where it touches the base as to not ground it. I used a drip tip size O ring insulator below where the wick goes across and into the tank. Fits perfect.

Result... well, it hits really good on a mech mod. Initially I wanted to make the coil to end up at about .9 ohm, but it was a good first try. The downfall is the draw is a little to tight to really get the clouds going. If I can figure out how to loosen that up, I might actually use my protanks again.

Either way, its always good times tinkering, after all, thats half the fun of this hobby we call vaping! :vapor:

Crash Moses

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Lansing, Michigan
Outstanding Mr. Meat. Just rebuilt my first one and I'm vaping a 2.7 ohm coil at 4.6 volts on my Provari. Flavor and vaper production is...well...spiffy. Your pictures were a great help. Much appreciated.

For what it's worth I used the doubled over wick suggested by Mr. unloaded. Very happy with the results. Thank you, sirs.

whatmonkey

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2011
InACity
Have you tried removing the silicone cup that sits on the air tube just above the flavor wicks? That's what I do and never get dry, burnt hits.

Ah that's a great idea. I didn't need to remove anything with the 50/50 mix that I ordered along with my Protank, but I pulled out some thicker (despite having been thinned) BWB Malty and was getting the occasional dry hit. I pulled 1/3 of the flavor wick out as Face Meat and others had recommended and it fixed the probem.

BUT -- removing that little piece is more easily reversible if flooding occurs. *Next time* I'm tempted to pull flavor wick out of a new head, I'm going to try your idea first. Thanks for posting it!

whatmonkey

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2011
InACity

Ah that's a great idea. I didn't need to remove anything with the 50/50 mix that I ordered along with my Protank, but I pulled out some thicker (despite having been thinned) BWB Malty and was getting the occasional dry hit. I pulled 1/3 of the flavor wick out as Face Meat and others had recommended and it fixed the probem.

BUT -- removing that little piece is more easily reversible if flooding occurs. *Next time* I'm tempted to pull flavor wick out of a new head, I'm going to try your idea first. Thanks for posting it!

SteamDaddy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2013
Rebublic of Texas
I never had the desire or need to delve into the world of atomizer head rebuilding until I got my two Protanks. I was so enamored with these glass and metal beauties that my wife began to get a bit jealous. Seeing as how the replacement heads, and anything Protank for that matter, are quite hard to come by at the moment, I started to wonder what would happen when my heads failed. Would I be relegated to the bleek, dismal world of Vivi Nova and Vape Only BCC use? Oh, the humanity.

I decided that now was the time to learn to rebuild. Like my forefathers, I rolled up my shirt sleeves, cracked a beer and got to work. 'Merica.

This is my first rebuild. As the photos below will indicate, I'm really, really good at it.

Here's how I did it...

This is the atomizer head that was used for a bit over a week. It's dark and grimy and produces some ungodly flavors.
View attachment 191262

Here's the tools I used...man s#!t!
View attachment 191266

I used 3mm silica wick and 32 gauge Kanthal wire. A sewing needle is used to make wrapping the wick a but easier and avoid wrapping too tightly. Six wraps.
View attachment 191268

Here's the wrapped wick in the wick holder thingy after the remaining wire ends have been threaded through the wick holder thingy.
View attachment 191269

I screwed the base onto the wick holder thingy and screwed that onto my ProVari. It's showtime. Let's see how those coils look all glowy and orange.
View attachment 191270

I half expected red-hot wire shards to shoot into my eyeballs and boiling hot battery acid magma to flow out of the battery cap of the ProVari. Alas, the coils glow evenly and beautifully. Suck it, Bin Laden.

ECF will only allow 5 amazing photos per post, so the rest of this epic journey is detailed below...

use photobucket so you can show bigger pictures.

IMAG0532.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread