Kanger protank rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sdh

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
U.S.
Yes I got that from this video I found on you tube and I think its the best demonstration on using the Peaches and cream wick,This video is for the vivi nova but can easily be applied to the Kangers as they are almost identical,And I did this for the Kanger T-3 same process as the video.Rebuilding Vivi Nova atomizer with cotton wick - YouTube
I will have to watch the video at a later date...slow wifi right now....I feel like I have aol dial up from 95. I am use to a 36mbps-54mbps connection...Thanks again!

l0stm4n

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2012
el paso, TX
i need / want to rebuild a few protank heads and read through the thread good info.
what i'd like to know is how to check for shorts and ohms with a multimeter, i only have a twist so no short circuit protection and/or ohm reader. other than that, i might also need recomendations on material, particularly what size of silica might be good to use , for both the coil and flavor wicks.

RickMc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
Fontana, CA
I separated the 3mm wick into thirds and used two of the thirds as flavor wicks. Here's the atomizer head after the rest of the thingies have been reattached. Sexy, aint she?
View attachment 191273

Let's saddle up and see what kind of Ohms she's giving...
View attachment 191274

Two Ohms. Booya.

Rebuilding was way easier and funner than I thought it'd be. Plus, I get to use pliers and wire cutters so my wife thinks I'm tough and masculine.

After reattaching the tank and filling with liquid, the rebuilt Protank is as good as new. Maybe a touch better. It's giving plenty of flavor and throat hit. The vapor production seems a bit better. I blew a massive cloud toward my cat and he scurried away like the little pansy he is.

I don't even use Protanks and I loved this. Nicely done....

Red_Bird

Moved On
Apr 11, 2013
Montgomery County, NY
I used 3 mm cotton wick with 32 ga kanthal....wrapped it against a paper clip I straightened...got 1.9
ohms

http://www.ecigadvanced.com/forums/...sion-f12/rebuilt-pro-tank-w-cotton-t7475.html

I'm gonna make another tomorrow after I paint the wrought iron railings on 2 sets of stairs...using 30 gauge kanthal, I hope to get 1.3 to 1.5 ohms on a 5/4 wrap.

NO FLAVOR STRANDS either....this 3mm cotton is thick and it doesn't fall apart.

Last edited:

stashbldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2010
Florida

AngelsBreath

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2013
Alabama, United States
Thank you for answering stashbldr, I ordered it from ebay as well as some 3mm wick. I want to do this so bad but I wanted to make sure I got the right thing. I was reading thru this thread about resistance and then I got all confused.

Kanthal A1 Wire 32 Gauge 100 ft 0 25oz Resistance Resistor AWG A 1 | eBay

This is the one that I got exactly, is the resistance ok?

Steve K

ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2012
Philadelphia,Pa

stashbldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2010
Florida
Thank you for answering stashbldr, I ordered it from ebay as well as some 3mm wick. I want to do this so bad but I wanted to make sure I got the right thing. I was reading thru this thread about resistance and then I got all confused.

Kanthal A1 Wire 32 Gauge 100 ft 0 25oz Resistance Resistor AWG A 1 | eBay

This is the one that I got exactly, is the resistance ok?

It seems to be the same as mine is. I use 2mm silica wick, sometimes 2.5mm. I do 5 wraps using a straightened paper clip as a stabilizer .. I wrap it pretty tight around the paper clip, since the paper clip will give it the the little bit of looseness it needs when I remove it. I end up with a coil that measures 1.7-1.8 ohms. With 3mm wick, and if you do 5 wraps, you'll probably end up closer to 2.0 ohms. The way it works is the longer the wire, the higher the ohms.

Making your own coils is fun-fun-fun, yes it saves lots of money but it is also a ton of fun to do. I watched youtube videos to learn how, watched them over and over while waiting for my wick and wire to arrive .. by the time my mail came I knew exactly what to do. My first wick sucked LOL, but from my 2nd one until now they've all been perfect. When it comes to learning how to do this just remember .. "youtube is your friend".

IG9447

Mar 25, 2013
Atlanta
Great thread. I've been trying to rebuild my pro-tank atomizers with some success, but most of my attempts end up with a "atomizer short" message on my evic. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. This is the way I'm threading the wire. I'd appreciate any suggestions anyone might have.

SMemo_02.jpg

CandyTX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Austin, TX, USA
candybeauchamp.com
So, what would I use for wick material? I see you guys mention silica but I had read somewhere there was a concern about inhaling little fibers that come off. I've seen others that use yarn that has been boiled (2 fibers of the four). I like a really strong flavor... Hmmm... suggestions?

AngelsBreath

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2013
Alabama, United States
It seems to be the same as mine is. I use 2mm silica wick, sometimes 2.5mm. I do 5 wraps using a straightened paper clip as a stabilizer .. I wrap it pretty tight around the paper clip, since the paper clip will give it the the little bit of looseness it needs when I remove it. I end up with a coil that measures 1.7-1.8 ohms. With 3mm wick, and if you do 5 wraps, you'll probably end up closer to 2.0 ohms. The way it works is the longer the wire, the higher the ohms.

Making your own coils is fun-fun-fun, yes it saves lots of money but it is also a ton of fun to do. I watched youtube videos to learn how, watched them over and over while waiting for my wick and wire to arrive .. by the time my mail came I knew exactly what to do. My first wick sucked LOL, but from my 2nd one until now they've all been perfect. When it comes to learning how to do this just remember .. "youtube is your friend".

I saw someone use a screw in here. I think I want about a 2.2 ohm, I think lol. I use a Vision Spinner, I have 2 and I need to be able to use those. I am also interested in doing my Evod's as well but I only have one coil for that one hahaha. I have about 10 for the Protank.

Steve K

ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2012
Philadelphia,Pa
Great thread. I've been trying to rebuild my pro-tank atomizers with some success, but most of my attempts end up with a "atomizer short" message on my evic. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. This is the way I'm threading the wire. I'd appreciate any suggestions anyone might have.

SMemo_02.jpg

Ig9447 Most of the time the short is either the actual coils around the wick touching or the wires need to be cut at the bottom where it screws in,In my case its usually where it screws in, the negitive and positive leg wires have to be snipped off completely.Great diagram, I actually like it.

Last edited:

Steve K

ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2012
Philadelphia,Pa
So, what would I use for wick material? I see you guys mention silica but I had read somewhere there was a concern about inhaling little fibers that come off. I've seen others that use yarn that has been boiled (2 fibers of the four). I like a really strong flavor... Hmmm... suggestions?

I actually have a hard time with silica because it breaks apart easily,I have some and waste it trying.So I buy The peaches and cream yarn at walmart for $1.75 and its a lot of yarn and if I screw up I have tons left,No worries.And In My opinion makes great wicks and produces Excellent vapor.I boil mine and buy the #4 white kind.For $1.75 you can have The yarn to experiment with.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Peaches-and-Creme-Yarn-4-70.9g/17422880

Last edited:

CandyTX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Austin, TX, USA
candybeauchamp.com
I actually have a hard time with silica because it breaks apart easily,I have some and waste it trying.So I buy The peaches and cream yarn at walmart for $1.75 and its a lot of yarn and if I screw up I have tons left,No worries.And In My opinion makes great wicks and produces Excellent vapor.I boil mine and buy the #4 white kind.For $1.75 you can have The yarn to experiment with.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Peaches-and-Creme-Yarn-4-70.9g/17422880

Ugh. I HATE WalMart, but I'll swing by when I get back. Out of town next week for a conference. (actually, to PA!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread