Kanger Subtank Mini coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Long story but I got three 5-pack of subtank coils for free (was supposed to get two RTAs... some mix up in shipping) So, after correcting the situation (and getting my two RTAs) they said "just give the coils to someone that can use them" So I got a Subtank Mini (and it comes with a RBA...:thumb: )
Anyway, I tried the two coils that came with it (really liked the 0.5 ohm but the 1.2 ohm was just OK)
My question is about the other coils I have for it. One is 0.5 ohm ceramic coil. The other is 0.5 ohm SSOCC and seems to be stainless steel (I have never used TC... like my simple wattage mode) I am looking for tips on how many watts to use for these coils (and also tips on TC if I try it)
Any tips on the RBa would also be welcome (was going to try a 2.5 mm 28ga coil)

• Winner
Reactions: HigherStateD

Dudeman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2009
New Bedford, MA
I always run between .4- .5Ω 3mm coils in mine. Wick like a bow tie. Ends straight out to the wall of the RBA juice intake holes. Cotton > Rayon in these as it's less likely to shift away from the juice flow if you knock it over, etc.

I can't speak for the OCC coils as I only tried the ones that came with the tanks. I don't do TC either.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I always run between .4- .5Ω 3mm coils in mine. Wick like a bow tie. Ends straight out to the wall of the RBA juice intake holes. Cotton > Rayon in these as it's less likely to shift away from the juice flow if you knock it over, etc.
So you are talking about the RBA (that comes with the TANK) I do all of my coils 3mm (just because the only coil winder I have is home-made and 3mm) I can easily do a smaller coil but really do like 3mm because it's more wick. I have no problem doing a smaller coil (I have 26 and 28 ga wire)
Anyway (RBA aside) I just want some tips on the factory coils. (for now) The ceramic coils (0.5 ohm) do not recommend a wattage to use.

Dudeman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2009
New Bedford, MA
Yeah the RBA. That's all I use in subtank mini. I can build them in my sleep after using them almost exclusively for about 4 yrs. Once you try the RBA you may put the rest of those factory coils in a box. :D

As for factory coils, just shoot for whatever wattage you'd vape another .5Ω coil at. Or, maybe a few watts lower. Sometimes those Kanger coils don't wick so well.

• Agree
Reactions: zoiDman

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
As for factory coils, just shoot for whatever wattage you'd vape another .5Ω coil at. Or, maybe a few watts lower. Sometimes those Kanger coils don't wick so well.
Should I use a thinner juice? I was going to use 70 VG juice (pre-made) but I do DIY and can adjust and or mix my own (I won't go below 60 VG though... the PG starts bothering me if too high)

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I found an old video on the ceramic soils I have (0.5 ohm) Seems like they take similar wattage to the original 0.5 ohm coils. I was happy with the original at 35-40 watts (I tend to go lower than most people) so the guy in the video like them at 50 watts. Looks like 4-50 watts should be fine. Going to try one ceramic and one SSOCC coil then going right into the RBA (28 ga kanthal 2.5 mm ID coil) I take short draws and pause between draws so going to try the 70 VG juice first. I can easily thin it if needed (gotta love DIY... thin a juice, add more nic, ect... too easy)

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    As far as the OCC coils go (the square ones), I hate them (but lots of people love them). They don't seem to wick well IMHO and therefore don't last as long as the SSOCC coils.

Regardless, you need to prime them WELL. That goes for the SSOCC, too. How I do it is I put the base of the STM on my mod, screw the coil into the base, then grab my mod and hold it over a trash can upside down while I slowly squirt juice into the wicking holes in the coil head, alternating each hole. When I see juice dripping out the top of the coil head into the trash can, it's good to go. I then fill 'er up then give it a few dry pulls (no fire button!) on the tightest airflow setting.

Then I let it sit for minimum 15 min.

Then I let 'er rip starting at 9W then work my way up (using my preferred airflow setting). That's on the 1.2 ohm head. If you are using the 0.5 ohm head you can start off higher than that.

How high you can go is subjective IMHO. You just have to work your way up until you get to a point you like.

As far as the RBA is concerned, 2.5mm or 3 mm ID coil 28g will work just fine. Both diameters will sufficiently cover the air hole below it.

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    As far as the OCC coils go (the square ones), I hate them (but lots of people love them). They don't seem to wick well IMHO and therefore don't last as long as the SSOCC coils.
    Well that's good news. I liked the original (square OCC) coil... preferred the 0.5 to the 1.2. I am OCD about priming coils... no worries (I often let them sit for an hour... no hurry) and also do a few "primer puffs". Slowly increase wattage to break them in. I tried the ceramic 0.5 ohm coil last night. 35 watts, then 40 watts. Today tried 45 watts and it's vaping great (medium... not too cold or hot ) and nice vapor production/flavor. Tomorrow I might push it to 50 watts (out of curiosity). I am also going to thin the 70 VG juice just a bit. Have already watched several videos about building the RBA (can't wait to try it) I wish I had got two ;) We will talk later (PM) about that.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread