Not open for further replies.

gjustin79

Coil Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
Hey everyone,

Built a T3s head with cotton last night. I used some 100% cotton from Walmart. I think it was pretty crappy cotton because it had little white dots in it, so I plan on getting some organic cotton instead, but more on that later..

It worked quite well, but I got a TON of gurgling (but no leaking)? Taste was a tad off too, but it's probably the taste of cotton I'm not used too cause it still tasted pretty great.

I used 32g Kanthal with 4 wraps and got about 1.8ohms, not bad!

I tried to rebuild a second one and got a horrible scorched taste. I'm assuming it's the tiny rubber grommet..

Just a few questions:

1. How can I avoid burning the grommet? My coil was fairly high up in the chamber..
2. What's the best cotton to use? Organic cotton balls? OR could I use 100% cotton "rounds" or "pads" (like for women's makeup, facial stuff)?
3. What should I wrap the coil around? I tried a standard sewing needle but it was WAY too thin. I ended up wrapping it around a little metal door key for the doors in my apartment. looks like this: http://www.hardwareworld.com/files/pi/lE/W/PFKK.jpg and that worked pretty well.
4. How much cotton should I use without it flooding/gurgling or in the case of too much, clogging?

Thanks in advance :p

Last edited:

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
I use the 100% cotton yarn from Wally World - Peaches and Cream, white - for the flavor wicks. One strand, trimmed after I put the post back on. But i use 3 mm silica for the wick, so I can dry burn.

You can wrap the coil on a 4 - 40 machine screw to get good even and consistent spacing. Then thread the wick through. To do that, you can wrap the end of the wick with teflon tape. Comes off easy, and wraps to a fine point. Or, if you use a smaller diameter wick, double it over and pull it through. You can use a piece of kanthal as a hook, or a "floss threader" (for pulling dental floss through bridgework), or a beading needle.

The grommet will, sadly, eventually burn, ime. Trying to avoid chain vaping might help. Some use non-resistance wire, but you need a tool to weld it to the the Kanthal, so maybe not too practical...

vjdossey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Antioch, CA
Hey everyone,

Built a T3s head with cotton last night. I used some 100% cotton from Walmart. I think it was pretty crappy cotton because it had little white dots in it, so I plan on getting some organic cotton instead, but more on that later..

It worked quite well, but I got a TON of gurgling (but no leaking)? Taste was a tad off too, but it's probably the taste of cotton I'm not used too cause it still tasted pretty great.

I tried to rebuild a second one and got a horrible scorched taste. I'm assuming it's the tiny rubber grommet..

Just a few questions:

1. How can I avoid burning the grommet? My coil was fairly high up in the chamber..
2. What's the best cotton to use? Organic cotton balls? OR could I use 100% cotton "rounds" or "pads" (like for women's makeup, facial stuff)?
3. What should I wrap the coil around? I tried a standard sewing needle but it was WAY too thin. I ended up wrapping it around a little metal door key for the doors in my apartment. looks like this: http://www.hardwareworld.com/files/pi/lE/W/PFKK.jpg and that worked pretty well.
4. How much cotton should I use without it flooding/gurgling or in the case of too much, clogging?

Unfold a paper clip and wrap around that

JamezC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2013
Arkansas
Hey everyone,

Just a few questions:

Honestly, I don't how to avoid burning the grommet, I've rebuilt many of my bcc's (including the T3s) and some of them burn and some don't. What I've done recently and had success with was I cut the top part of the grommet (the raised section that goes INTO your base) and that eliminated the burning grommet taste thus far. Here's a link to a thread about some new grommets, and also the method I just described: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/clearomizers/485319-kangers-new-head-no-burny-grommets.html

As far as cotton, make sure you get 100% organic, or you could also use cotton yarn as well. Personally I use organic cotton balls from Walgreens.

If you can find one, I'd try to get a small or "mini" screwdriver, or really anything round that's about the size that you want the coil to be in diameter.

It's hard to answer that last question because with cotton, a little bit goes a long way but you don't want too much or too little. What I do is I thread my main wick through the coil and add a small tuft of cotton for the flavor wick then I fill it up with juice and try it out. If it's gurgly right off the bat, take the base back out and add another small piece or flavor wick. It's hard to gauge how much you really need but I just keep adding flavor wicks (if needed) until it's about right. Which is 2 at the most for me anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread