Kangertech subox mini

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Worsdell

Feb 28, 2016
Hi all.
Brought a kangertech subox mini 3 days ago and have the 1.5ohm coil in there with it running at 8 watts and for the first couple of days the taste was amazing, however now I just get a horrible burnt taste with the odd nice taste. I am gonna go and get another juice tomorrow for the .5ohm burner and give it a go. The juice I currently am using is pg 80% and vg 20% with a 16mg nic from the shop. Will this make any difference? Obviously with the .5ohm burner I will have a much lower nic level.
Thanks.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Hi all.
Brought a kangertech subox mini 3 days ago and have the 1.5ohm coil in there with it running at 8 watts and for the first couple of days the taste was amazing, however now I just get a horrible burnt taste with the odd nice taste.
Couple things could be going on here. You may have burnt the cotton, or the coil could be all gunked up. Either way, it sounds like you need to replace the coil. If you ever fired the coil with the watts turned up way too high, or without enough juice in it, it could have got too hot and burned the wick. The wick is made of cotton, so once it's burnt, there's no way to get rid of that taste. You have to either replace the coil unit or, with a rebuildable atomizer, you can often just replace the wick and keep the same coil. Not so much an option with the disposable Kanger coils.

The other possibility is a gunked-up coil. Particularly if you use a sweet-flavored or dark-colored juice, you can get incomplete vaporization of the flavor compounds, and this caramelized gunk will build up on the coil and wick, choking off the juice supply and leading to dry, burnt, or overall foul-tasting hits. Oddly, you can get this burnt taste from having your power set too low, while a higher power (not high enough to burn the wick, mind) can more completely vaporize the flavor agents and not leave them caked up on the coil.

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
bwh79 summed it all up very well. I might add that if the problem is wicking. I've heard that you can use a straight pin and push thru one juice hole, right thru the coil, and out the other side. This may open up more juice flow. Also, the .5 coil will need more watts to heat up as it is a thicker wire.

Honestly, I have never had much success with the stock coils in the subtank, and really prefer using the rba deck instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread