Status
Not open for further replies.

olds97_lss

Feb 15, 2016
Dekalb, IL
I did dremel the weep holes a bit, but since this was my first coil and I don't have a proper sub-ohm meter, I think I did 6 wraps with the wire and ended up with my eleaf istick telling me it's .91ohms. When I go much over 20 watts though, the flavor drops off and the vape is pretty hot at 20 watts. I've been running it at 16 watts all day today and it's working really well. A few pops and cracks, but not getting nearly spitback I was getting with the occ's or the OEM .5 ohm coil in the rba.

Still running 18mg nic though, so at 16 watts, getting plenty of vape. At 20 watts... I get a pretty good buzz, which I don't want.

Reactions: Butch

vincom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Philippines
I did dremel the weep holes a bit, but since this was my first coil and I don't have a proper sub-ohm meter, I think I did 6 wraps with the wire and ended up with my eleaf istick telling me it's .91ohms. When I go much over 20 watts though, the flavor drops off and the vape is pretty hot at 20 watts. I've been running it at 16 watts all day today and it's working really well. A few pops and cracks, but not getting nearly spitback I was getting with the occ's or the OEM .5 ohm coil in the RBA.

Still running 18mg nic though, so at 16 watts, getting plenty of vape. At 20 watts... I get a pretty good buzz, which I don't want.
i dremelled more than just a little.

rba_dr1.jpg

rba_dr.jpg

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
v2 only has holes on side chimney wall, no weep holes on the bottom.
imo v1 works really well if you are willing to widen the bottom weep holes.
by doing this you can increase power and as such flavor will increase.
for me i really widened the weep holes, 0.7 ohm coil, 3mm, rayon wick, afc ring removed, i vape between 30w - 45w, and no its not a hot vape and flavor is great.
but i dont really have another tank to compare it to other than the nautilus which is no comparison really, stmini all the way

Curious why you remove the AFC ring on a STM? First I've ever heard of that.

vincom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Philippines
Yep. You sure did. Get any issues with leaking? Got a photo with your wick installed?

Curious why you remove the AFC ring on a STM? First I've ever heard of that.
i posted a thread in the rta section for the rba v1 stmini w/rayon wicking.
if wicked correctly it wont leak, well hardly ever.
pics of stmini rba v1 dremelled out weep holes w/rayon wicking

i removed the ring to maximize air intake.
its easy as bottom section is 2 piece screwed on w/afc ring sandwiched in the middle

Reactions: Mactavish

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York

TheVapingApe

Mar 30, 2016
I suppose this is as good as place as any to ask this question. I found a subtank mini while walking my dog a few weeks back, just laying on the sidewalk (I thought it was weird too) it was pretty torn up, missing glass, shattered glass stuck in the O rings, cracked drip tip, scratched to holy hell and needless to say the coil was shot. So I took it home, sanded off the the original paint, polished it, it's stainless steel now, I have a new drip tip for it and ordered the rba, I just need a new glass and O ring, but I saw a really cool looking bellcap the other day for it on fastech, it has a cool little pirate skull on it, anyone know if bell caps are any good? Or for the subtank mini in particular? I've never used one before.

Leo Bak

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2015
Netherlands
Most bellcaps on Fasttech are either acrylic or pom, that can be a disadvantage when using tankcracking liquids (cinnamon, acids etc). Make sure you get a glass one, Sweetvapes has cheap ones VaporDNA has expensive ones, not familiar with either of them, glass is not very strong though.

Why not just get spare glass and o-rings at Fasttech?

aldenf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2014
NYC, NJ, USA
ATOM VAPES has ceranic drop ins. They work great.

Four for $20? Hmmm. Like the cCells; partially embedded coil, in sintered ceramic, surrounded by cotton. I might spring for one to try out. $20 buys a lot of wick and wire for the RBA head. :D

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I suppose this is as good as place as any to ask this question. I found a subtank mini while walking my dog a few weeks back, just laying on the sidewalk (I thought it was weird too) it was pretty torn up, missing glass, shattered glass stuck in the O-rings, cracked drip tip, scratched to holy hell and needless to say the coil was shot. So I took it home, sanded off the original paint, polished it, it's stainless steel now, I have a new drip tip for it and ordered the rba, I just need a new glass and O-ring, but I saw a really cool looking bellcap the other day for it on fastech, it has a cool little pirate skull on it, anyone know if bell caps are any good? Or for the subtank mini in particular? I've never used one before.

Congrats VA, you can try the glass from sweetvapes as Leo suggests below. They are fragile but glass is outstanding as metals do affect flavor. Glass also give you a richer texture some perceive as greater, balanced flavor. It's rather more a matter of taste than flavor I feel. My experience with these inexpensive glass caps from SV is that they're worth trying but fail on most bases I've used, orig and clone. The red (square) o-ring seals seem to compress with use. The tank's internal vacuum pressure is relieved causing coils to underproduce (oversaturation). You'll get a wet vape and/or spitting then from excessive flow to the coil. Have a collection of 'em and constantly trying new o-rings I run across with the hope I'll hit on the right one. Testing these again now as I do like 'em when they work. High-quality colored tanks are available from spectrumtanks as an alternative. The Trinity tanks mentioned below are awesome but as with anything hand blown YMMV on fit.

Most bellcaps on Fasttech are either acrylic or pom, that can be a disadvantage when using tankcracking liquids (cinnamon, acids etc). Make sure you get a glass one, Sweetvapes has cheap ones VaporDNA has expensive ones, not familiar with either of them, glass is not very strong though.

Why not just get spare glass and o-rings at Fasttech?

Even on eBay, the acrylics all come from the same place. Don't think any are US made. It's a hit or miss proposition on quality. Most I've used start to minutely craze with exposure to any challenging juice even some tobacco's. Run these under hot water to make cleanup easier or more thorough and the crazes turn to cracks as they cool. But hey, love 'em and got 4 OTW from a new vendor.

Good luck all. :)

Last edited:

TheVapingApe

Mar 30, 2016
Congrats VA, you can try the glass from sweetvapes as Leo suggests below. They are fragile but glass is outstanding as metals do affect flavor. Glass also give you a richer texture some perceive as greater, balanced flavor. It's rather more a matter of taste than flavor I feel. My experience with these inexpensive glass caps from SV is that they're worth trying but fail on most bases I've used, orig and clone. The red (square) o-ring seals seem to compress with use. The tank's internal vacuum pressure is relieved causing coils to underproduce (oversaturation). You'll get a wet vape and/or spitting then from excessive flow to the coil. Have a collection of 'em and constantly trying new o-rings I run across with the hope I'll hit on the right one. Testing these again now as I do like 'em when they work. High-quality colored tanks are available from spectrumtanks as an alternative. The Trinity tanks mentioned below are awesome but as with anything hand blown YMMV on fit.

Even on eBay, the acrylics all come from the same place. Don't think any are US made. It's a hit or miss proposition on quality. Most I've used start to minutely craze with exposure to any challenging juice even some tobacco's. Run these under hot water to make cleanup easier or more thorough and the crazes turn to cracks as they cool. But hey, love 'em and got 4 OTW from a new vendor.

Good luck all. :)
Definitely appreciate the insight from you and Leo Bak. I mostly think it's the aesthetics of a bell cap that I'm interested in, they're different, and sort of cool looking, but yeah that definitely doesn't make up well for potential poor performance, I think I'll just order a regular glass and O rings for now, maybe after a bit of searching around I'll come back to getting a quality bellcap, but for now, I just want the mini to run, sanding out all the channels and smoothing out the literal chucks of steel missing on the top of the tank(from getting hit with a hammer it looked like, but who knows really) took basically an entire day, and I'd like to enjoy the fruits of my restorative labor ha-ha.

Shokker

Mar 18, 2015
Germany
pretty sure its cotton wicking in there..
Nope, the bottom picture shows the ceramic surrounding the coil. The description also says that its the wicking that is ceramic. But maybe Kanger will also release coils where the wire is coated in ceramic (as we have seen promo pics of that coil type).

BTW: I just have to give Kanger credit for their product policy considering the Subtank Mini. Over 1 year after release and you can still vape your day 1 model with the newest coils. Imho the Subtank Mini is to sub ohm tanks what the Ego was to e cigarettes as a whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread