Kangertech Vola Coil Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

xCJack

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2013
United States
Hello, I'm trying to figure out if the problems I'm having with my Vola coils are user generated problems, or if these coils are duds. They do not have good star reviews on kangertech's website.

When I put in a new coil, I started by letting the juice sit for 5 mins then vaping it. Horrible burnt taste. So I did some research on why coils might taste burnt. I figured out that I might need to stop chain vaping, so I upped my nicotine content, and now I'm letting my juice sit for atleast 15 minutes plus. Now, for some coils, letting the juice sit for atleast 15 minutes vapes fine, but for others, the horrible burnt taste persists for a while, before vaping normally. The coils are recommended for 40-80 watts, and I vape at 50. I have also tried starting at low watts/temperature, and working my way up.

Now the biggest thing. No matter how long I let the juice sit before vaping, and regardless if I chain vape or not, these coils do not last long before consistently producing burnt hits. I'm getting 3 days at most out of a coil. If anyone else has this mod, I'd like to hear if you are having problems with these coils, and if it sounds like I might be inputting user error causing my problems. Thanks.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
Hello, I'm trying to figure out if the problems I'm having with my Vola coils are user generated problems, or if these coils are duds. They do not have good star reviews on kangertech's website.

When I put in a new coil, I started by letting the juice sit for 5 mins then vaping it. Horrible burnt taste. So I did some research on why coils might taste burnt. I figured out that I might need to stop chain vaping, so I upped my nicotine content, and now I'm letting my juice sit for atleast 15 minutes plus. Now, for some coils, letting the juice sit for atleast 15 minutes vapes fine, but for others, the horrible burnt taste persists for a while, before vaping normally. The coils are recommended for 40-80 watts, and I vape at 50. I have also tried starting at low watts/temperature, and working my way up.

Now the biggest thing. No matter how long I let the juice sit before vaping, and regardless if I chain vape or not, these coils do not last long before consistently producing burnt hits. I'm getting 3 days at most out of a coil. If anyone else has this mod, I'd like to hear if you are having problems with these coils, and if it sounds like I might be inputting user error causing my problems. Thanks.
I use a lot of Kanger products but not the Vola so I will try to give you some general info and light troubleshooting. I've had similar things happen to me and I know that horrible burnt taste is awful. I looked at those coils and there are holes in the sides similar to other types coils. For me, when I use a coil I drop a few drops on the cotton in the sides holes - that helps to wet the cotton wicking. Also if you can see inside the center of those coils where the coil actually is you can put a few drops of juice on the cotton there After I fill my tank, I let it sit a few minutes. Before I actually start to vape - I either close off the air holes or cover them with my fingers and without firing I inhale on the mouthpiece. I think that helps to pull the liquid through the cotton. For my first few vape inhales I inhale semi-gently and then all is usually well.

As far as the coils going bad in a few days --could be the type of juice you are using - VG and sweet flavors tend to be thicker and gunk up the coils faster or perhaps the coils were not primed as good as they could be hence shortening their life.

Is this the coils you are using. If so, maybe start even lower - like at 20 watts.

• R2-OCC Nicr 0.4ohm coil
  • Single Core
  • 20w - 100w
  • Recommended 40-80W

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't have a setup, but I will describe the priming process I use on (all my) coils. The most important thing in priming is capillary action, meaning your coil could float in your juice for days, honestly, and still wind up not primed. Sure, let it sit a BIT but the most important thing is, suction which is you taking inhales as the juice pulls up into the wick. I start with at least 5--7 LONG slow inhales without even hitting the fire button. Then, I raise the wattage by 3 watt or 5 watt increments, still taking long slow inhales (at say 3 watts, you won't see visible vapor, but that's fine) you are slowly heating the coil, while allowing the coil to gently and slowly begin wicking. Keep increasing until you find a wattage setting you like.

I've underprimed coils and have had what you described happen (yuck and then-- sometimes--evening out) but unfortunately that situation can make for a slightly unhappy coil that may have shorter coil life.

Really, recommended resistances from the manufacturer are just that-- recommendations. It's fine to vape below the recommended (I do it quite frequently) and less wattage quite often means less tank/juice overheating and can extend coil life. Going too close to max or exceeding it can shorten coil life.

Juices do play a role, as does airflow. You may want to adjust your airflow some if you are on the higher end of things in the wattage department, more air MAY allow your juice to wick better, overall.

Best of luck,

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread