Kanthal Ribbon Wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdeal

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
( -_-) Ω~
Ribbon wire has been getting a bit of play lately, so I thought I would kick off a discussion on Kanthal Ribbon Wire. I know a few people out there have this wire, so feel free to share your experiences.

I have been using Kanthal Ribbon Wire for a few months now in many different attys and with different wick materials. I am getting consistently good results.

The specific material I have been using was sourced from here:
Ribbon 020X 004" 10' 5X 1mm 3M Heating Flat Wire | eBay

Specification:
Tradename : Kanthal DSD, (FeCrAl)
Nominal composition : Cr 22%, Al 4.8%, Fe balance
Width & thickness : 0.020x0.004 in, (0.50x0.10 mm *¹)
Resistance : 9.09 Ohm/ft, (29.8 Ohm/m *¹)
(Essentially the wire dimensions have the width of 24g wire and the depth of 38g wire. Resistance is similar to 30g Kanthal A-1)

My current set-up is in a Cobra with a 1.1 ohm coil using an un-oxidized wick consisting of 40mm of #500 (.025mm wire with ~26% open space) wrapped around 40mm of #200 (.028mm wire with ~60% open space) mesh rolled tight.

This wire is more difficult to work with vs round wire. It has a natural tendency to twist when you coil it. With a freehand method I could not get perfect wire/mesh apposition. I now use the Petar K method. Using a drill bit allows for better wire tweaking and getting perfect coils. It also permits me to bring the coil through an annealing/hardening process for longer term shape stability. While making the coil, the wire ends need to be twisted 90 degrees to fit underneath the positive and negative connections. I had only one minor short on the initial set up with the top coil. It was easily resolved with a minor shift of top screw.

This is the same set-up after 2 weeks and 40mls. It has been very stable and I have only tweaked it once and have not cleaned the coil or wick yet.

This set up is one of the best I have had to date and is still going strong. The increased wire on mesh surface area coverage is really kickin up vapor pressure and the extra expose wire surface is shooting fireworks.

Below is a video of a full 16 second burn of that gunk-up wick above on a Provari at 3.6v ~12 watts using a 95%VG ejuice. The video starts at the button push, to show the heat-up time and goes until the Provari auto-cutoff.

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/1567/meikjmwehausntvepzhgcf.mp4

WallyO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Cicero,IL
Ribbon wire has been getting a bit of play lately, so I thought I would kick off a discussion on Kanthal Ribbon Wire. I know a few people out there have this wire, so feel free to share your experiences.

I have been using Kanthal Ribbon Wire for a few months now in many different attys and with different wick materials. I am getting consistently good results.

The specific material I have been using was sourced from here:
Ribbon 020X 004" 10' 5X 1mm 3M Heating Flat Wire | eBay

Specification:
Tradename : Kanthal DSD, (FeCrAl)
Nominal composition : Cr 22%, Al 4.8%, Fe balance
Width & thickness : 0.020x0.004 in, (0.50x0.10 mm *¹)
Resistance : 9.09 Ohm/ft, (29.8 Ohm/m *¹)
(Essentially the wire dimensions have the width of 24g wire and the depth of 38g wire. Resistance is similar to 30g Kanthal A-1)

My current set-up is in a Cobra with a 1.1 ohm coil using an un-oxidized wick consisting of 40mm of #500 (.025mm wire with ~26% open space) wrapped around 40mm of #200 (.028mm wire with ~60% open space) mesh rolled tight.

This wire is more difficult to work with vs round wire. It has a natural tendency to twist when you coil it. With a freehand method I could not get perfect wire/mesh apposition. I now use the Petar K method. Using a drill bit allows for better wire tweaking and getting perfect coils. It also permits me to bring the coil through an annealing/hardening process for longer term shape stability. While making the coil, the wire ends need to be twisted 90 degrees to fit underneath the positive and negative connections. I had only one minor short on the initial set up with the top coil. It was easily resolved with a minor shift of top screw.

This is the same set-up after 2 weeks and 40mls. It has been very stable and I have only tweaked it once and have not cleaned the coil or wick yet.

This set up is one of the best I have had to date and is still going strong. The increased wire on mesh surface area coverage is really kickin up vapor pressure and the extra expose wire surface is shooting fireworks.

Below is a video of a full 16 second burn of that gunk-up wick above on a Provari at 3.6v ~12 watts using a 95%VG ejuice. The video starts at the button push, to show the heat-up time and goes until the Provari auto-cutoff.

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/1567/meikjmwehausntvepzhgcf.mp4

Very cool. Just ordered some to give it a whirl. Maybe just what I need. Have not been too happy with my rebuildable attempts in the past.

Pega

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2011
Budapest
I have tried the flat wire for a while. It did improve the vaping on the quartz tubing, but have not seen any advantage on a regular genesis SS wick.

I am going to compare it to my go-to wire (28AWG/.32mm kanthal a1):

quicker heatup time
comparable flavor
setup is a breeze (hardly ANY hotspots)
no popping, 'smoother' vapor output
less vapor

a real winner imo :)

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
How about just mesh?

From a UK site.

RDA_Cotton_Braid_Candle_Wick_02.JPG

gdeal

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
( -_-) Ω~
How about just mesh?

From a UK site.

RDA_Cotton_Braid_Candle_Wick_02.JPG

I actually tried the technique described on the UK site. The mesh did act as a resistance wire and will produce vapor, but I could not get even resistance through out the length of the folded mesh. Hot spot/cool spots, etc. I assume if you have a meticulous ribbon forming technique it could be something to consider.

Could someone please describe the difference between vaping with SS mesh and Ribbon wire? I understand the ribbon surface area is greater than mesh resulting in more vapor.
I'm trying to decide which RBA and wire to buy for a provari.

Thanks

Right you are. Ribbon wire has approx 50% more surface area than a round wire equivalent. So, since you would have more surface area to vaporize ejuice, you should get a thicker vape all other things being equal. You are also distributing the heat over a greater surface area, so you should be able to get a smoother more even vape as well. (But the difference may not be as great as comparing say 28g vs 32g.) From a vape perspective that really is the only difference.

If you believe you have good coiling and mesh wick rolling technique, then give ribbon a try, if you are just starting out on a RBA (not sure from your post), then I would use round thinner wire (30, 32 or 34g). It is much easier to work with than ribbon wire. That said, you are eventually gonna end up with a lot of differing wire gauge anyway...IMO

rebar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2011
iowa
Yeah, would also like to know the difference.
Iv never owned a RBA.. But I think I want one for my new provari. I think I want one because I really don't know if they produce more vapor than a store bought or if they are just cheaper to run.

Im pretty handy so coiling wire, round or ribbon wouldn't be to tough. I just dont want to fool around with second rate stuff and wishing for more.

To much vapor/heat is just right for me..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread