Kayfun Prime problem, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas666

Apr 13, 2018
Guys I do have one question, what do you mean by one full turn?(juice control)
Is it 360 degrees? so a whole circle?
I have now change all o-rings just in case although I didn`t see anything wrong with the old ones
Re done my coil and did wicking with less cotton then previously, trim the tails, etc
I put the coil into the chimney and took it out and check again if the coil is still in place with the air hole
free of anything.
I have checked the treads on the juice control and it looks to me like they are fine and that they all close.
All the o-rings have been lubed.
so the finger crossed!
I ll let you know once I do 1-2 re-fill.
Thank you!!!

Reactions: stols001

Thomas666

Apr 13, 2018
IMG_0899.JPG
IMG_0900.JPG
IMG_0901.JPG
Hello everyone,
I`m happy to inform that my problems are solved.
Thank you all for taking the time to help me out.
The only problem is that I have done every advice you gave me at the same time so not sure what my problem was!;)
Because of that I have couple of questions:
Would you mind to have a look at the pictures that I have attached and tell me what do you think of my wicking - this is the current set up.
Also I would appreciate if you could send me a good links for a video how to do the wicking in Kayfun prime so I can expand my knowledge.
Some of the video I have seen were not very good apparently
Once again- Thanks guys!

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Your wicking looks pretty good to me, based on Kayfun videos I've seen. If all is well, I certainly wouldn't change what you are doing, sounds to me like you've finally got things sorted out. I guess you could play with the wick a bit, maybe thinning it but my understanding of the Kayfun prime (I am not at all an expert in its use) is that length and placement matter the most, and etc.

But, If you're happy, you may just want to leave this build and if./when it needs replacing, do so with some slight changes and see if it makes you even happier. Etc. But, if not leaking, and flavor is there and juice is flowing adequately, well I'd say the majority of your "issues" are solved and most of what remains will be a matter of tweaking. Congrats on your persistence :)

Anna

Reactions: Baditude

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
View attachment 736579 View attachment 736581 View attachment 736583 Hello everyone,
I`m happy to inform that my problems are solved.
Thank you all for taking the time to help me out.
The only problem is that I have done every advice you gave me at the same time so not sure what my problem was!;)
Because of that I have couple of questions:
Would you mind to have a look at the pictures that I have attached and tell me what do you think of my wicking - this is the current set up.
Also I would appreciate if you could send me a good links for a video how to do the wicking in Kayfun prime so I can expand my knowledge.
Once again- Thanks guys!
Actually, your wick looks significantly short. It should just make contact with the deck, but not enough to fold under or totally block the juice inlet holes. I don't use my Prime anymore, but my builds were more like this pic (snip from the web). I believe this will help you resolve it.
http://forum...................../uploads/default/original/3X/3/9/39a5746462b4a5f43b231e7af7784a88b42effce.JPG

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Not sure that pic came thru (I can't see it), so trying again, with red arrow to show where it just makes contact. Although in this pic, the builder might have made it a little messy, with too much contact on those little walls. You can slide a small needle, or length of straight wire in there to create a shoulder gap if necessary.
upload_2018-4-17_13-25-8.png

Last edited:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Yes I agree with Brew, your tails are a smidgen to short, but besides that , looks good. Maybe next time try another wrap with the 28g. When I do use 28g, I much prefer it in the 7 wrap range, around 1.3 ohms. I just feel that the coil should be slightly longer or just slightly spread out more , but if it's working ok with that short coil, then just keep it the same

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
View attachment 736579 View attachment 736581 View attachment 736583 Hello everyone,

Once again- Thanks guys!

Forgot you asked for videos. Not sure if there are many for the Prime, but it's essentially the same as building their Mini V3, which I had a lot of experience watching videos for. ;) Here's a couple, and I'm sure you can google more. Note the "tucking" rather than pushing method of putting the wick in the well, so that the fibers stay straighter and wick better. It's a little sloppy in both of these videos, but you'll get good at it after a few times. I fold the wick over the deck, and make an indentation in the wick with my thumbnail at the top oring, and cut there. Just keep it folded down toward the deck, take the side of your tweezers and push it in toward the deck and upward, and when the ends are pushed in, the ends will kind of fall into the cup. Then gently guide them down with the tip of the tweezers until they make contact with the bottom, leaving smooth little shoulders. That'll consistently give you a good length, so it makes good contact with the juice coming up thru the holes, without actually blocking them, and it'll minimize seepage.

I found a pic of one of my builds from a while back. Not really using it much now, mostly loving my Doggy Style.
upload_2018-4-17_17-38-28.png

Hope it helps - really, once you get used to that part of building it, it's very forgiving.

• Useful

Thomas666

Apr 13, 2018
Thank you Untar,
This is actually a good idea, I ll try that too.So far I have been successful on most days with the Prime,
I had two leaks so over the last few days.
The first one I had a lot of liquid under the tank ( around the 510 screw, in between the tank and the mode). I have replace the o-ring that is under the hex screw and it seems to be ok for 3 days but I got a bit of that again today.
Any idea what could be a problem? 510 screw is firmly in place.

Very often the vape is just perfect so I know when is right is really, really good.
However sometimes vaping irritates my throat, I caught a bit more than usual and you can feel that the vape is not as it should be.
Do you guys know what is the reason for it?
Once I had it with the new cotton in place sometimes after 1 day of use.
Is there any mistake that I make with coil or wicking that may cause this?
I change the cotton every 24 hours but I`d rather go for 3 days or so.
Is there any advise of how often the cotton should be change?
Apologies for a lot of questions again but you guys are my best bet of solving it.
Thank you

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Thank you Untar,
This is actually a good idea, I ll try that too.So far I have been successful on most days with the Prime,
I had two leaks so over the last few days.
The first one I had a lot of liquid under the tank ( around the 510 screw, in between the tank and the mode). I have replace the o-ring that is under the hex screw and it seems to be ok for 3 days but I got a bit of that again today.
Any idea what could be a problem? 510 screw is firmly in place.

Very often the vape is just perfect so I know when is right is really, really good.
However sometimes vaping irritates my throat, I caught a bit more than usual and you can feel that the vape is not as it should be.
Do you guys know what is the reason for it?
Once I had it with the new cotton in place sometimes after 1 day of use.
Is there any mistake that I make with coil or wicking that may cause this?
I change the cotton every 24 hours but I`d rather go for 3 days or so.
Is there any advise of how often the cotton should be change?
Apologies for a lot of questions again but you guys are my best bet of solving it.
Thank you
Sometimes when I add a bit to much cotton in coil i feel that it doesn't wick as fast and feels a bit harsh or irritating. Also the vape feels irritating if the juice flow control is open to much, thus over saturating the coil. Those are the only 2 things that effects or makes my vape feel a bit off. As for that slight leakage, imo it's from not quite enough in the channels or somehow juice is coming off the coil and dripping into the airhole. Sometimes I add a bit to much in coil and it gets a bit to bushy near the airhole edge and perhaps juice runs down the coil wrap which attaches to the screws and perhaps gets into airhole. Have you tried a slightly longer coil? Maybe with a longer coil, the wick is further away from airhole and less chance of dripping or seeping down towards airhole. I rewick all my rtas, including my primes, after approximately 10mls or like 4 to 5 refills and I vape a pretty high vg juice and NET tobaccos

Thomas666

Apr 13, 2018
Hi Vapdivrr,
Thank you for all of this, will keep this in mind. I`m still experimenting with the prime but did go with your recommendation and had my set up for 1.3 on 28 7/8 wraps. Its a nice vape but I still get some leaking.
Unfortunately the liquid that I smoke ( jac vapour 70Vg) seems to be thick as I need my juice control open almost 2 full turns otherwise I get a dry hits within minutes.
I still got some leaks around 510 screw, I`m aware of a air hole below my coil so I`m looking at everything when I do my build but still have some issues.
I`m trying to find my best vape and so far 1.3 seems to be the best.
Cheers
Tom

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
You still must have a wicking issue because I vape 70 to 80 vg and vape at 23 watts at 1 to 1.5 turns and can vape and vape with no dry hits what so ever. Do you really chain vape? Like really hard dtl inhales , one right after another? If your doing regular mtl inhales you shouldn't be getting dry hits within minutes at even 1.5 turns. But 2 turns is average and shouldn't leak unless the orings just aren't a proper fit . My wife had a kayfun mini v3 clone and that had that same issue at the 510 and I tried everything and still leaked. I think it was just cheap orings. If you ever really get annoyed and wanted me to take a look at it, just send it and I will get her checked out ? You can send with your build and wicking and I would be able to see if anything is off a bit, then rewick and see . I could even video it to show you
Hi Vapdivrr,
Thank you for all of this, will keep this in mind. I`m still experimenting with the prime but did go with your recommendation and had my set up for 1.3 on 28 7/8 wraps. Its a nice vape but I still get some leaking.
Unfortunately the liquid that I smoke ( jac vapour 70Vg) seems to be thick as I need my juice control open almost 2 full turns otherwise I get a dry hits within minutes.
I still got some leaks around 510 screw, I`m aware of a air hole below my coil so I`m looking at everything when I do my build but still have some issues.
I`m trying to find my best vape and so far 1.3 seems to be the best.
Cheers
Tom

Thomas666

Apr 13, 2018
Hi,
Thanks for that however I`m based in Poland so shipping is out of an options:)
I wish I could visit you for a half an hour :) so to see what the heck I`m doing wrong!
I do a bit of chain vapping when I`m having a wine but not that much really.
However the last few days have been pretty good, no irritating vape, no leaking but one yesterday.
I woke up at the morning and I fill in the liquid and.. I got a significant leak under the 510 plate.
This has happened few times already and I don`t know why which is frustrating.
I have attached a 12 pictures of my build when I was changing a cotton yesterday I hope you can have a look and let me know what do you think.
At the moment this is 26 Kenthal about 6-7 wraps,2.5mm, 1 Ohm( as I`m trying a different builds)
The first 3 pictures shows the old wicking which I was about to replace and the rest are all the steps
till it was saturated. I started to trim the tails a bit more which I think helped but please have a look and let me know what do you think.
It seems to me like the leaking under the plate is really my last issue I`m having. When I had it yesterday, I took everything apart, clean it under the water, new wick and so far no leak at all.
Keep in mind that all the o-rings has been replace inc. the one under the hex screw.
Thank you!!!
1.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
2.jpg

Ps. BTW: When everything is working its a great vape!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread