KFL dry hits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mapultz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
NC
My friend gave me a kayfun that I'm assuming is a clone of some sort. I watched some videos and gave it a go.

Did a 2.5 ohm coil with 32ga kanthal around a 3/32 drill bit. Wicked it with cotton. I wasn't getting much vapor, so I re-wicked with less cotton. That helped. But I was only getting a few good hits and then scorching my lungs with a burned hit.

Did some research, decided to make a new coil exactly the same, but leave more room between the coil and the air hole. Got it wicked up again. On the lighter side this time. Got a few really really good hits... And then burned.

I'm getting frustrated. Am I doing something wrong with the ends of the wick? I leave the tails long and pull them through the cylinder thing, then clip them about flush with the top of it.. Then fold the ends down to either side of the block there the coil sits. I'm not stuffing it down there. Just gently easing it in. I can't see well enough down there to tell if I'm blocking any channels.

Sorry for the novel, just wanted to give as much info as possible!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

mbliffert

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2014
Ocean Springs, MS
My guess is that you are using too much cotton and it is blocking up the juice wells some.

3/32 is quite a wide diameter coil and will require a fair amount of cotton threaded through it. I would recommend stepping down to a 5/64 drill bit and trying again. When wicking make absolutely sure that your wick isn't sitting in the juice channel and blocking it up. After you are done wicking and the chimney is on, your wick should be making a "z" or "s" shape within the chamber.

Don't give up on it! The Kayfun is amazing!

Asmo6

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
United States
I really think 32g lights up too fast and too hot. You really need to have things right or its going to burn. Especially with cotton. I think if you dropped down to 28g even though you'd be running less resistance... You would have less of a problem.

Idk why you're running 2.5 ohm coil in a KF anyway? VV should go down to at least 1.5 ohm. That's like an 11/12 wrap on a .063" bit if iirc. W/28g.

Try opening up the chamber base a little as well. Like unscrew it a little.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Between builds
Remove old wick/coil
Install Chimney tube
Inspect for decent vertical channel exposure
Drop a little water to each channel opening and see if it flows out the channels

If your channels are open/flowing then you have a bit to much wick or wick is riding in the channel and stopping flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread