Kicking Cable to the Curb

Status
Not open for further replies.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
Hey SS did an update not to 17 but did some kind of changes that really makes it run smooth and fast. It has some different addons and I found one that so far I really enjoy. All I've watched on it so far is documentaries. David Attenborough is my favorite narrator and they have a section just dedicated to him. The addon is WP and stands for
wolf3.jpg

second word is 4 letters and is what a group of these animals are called. Excellent addon with lots of stuff and a lot in HD.
Should be no complaints with my reference. Check it out.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
Oh and I'm getting way more Real Debrid streams on it in 1080 and HD. Actually works better then it did when it was new. They just keep making it better with updates nearly every month. I'm sure that they will evetually get to 17 but for now I'm very happy with it and with their version of Kodi 16. If they stopped being able to work at this point I would be money ahead.
I am thinking about getting PS Vue also on my Roku because I think I get stuff like that better on the Roku. Vue seems to have the best channel lineup by far and I love Nascar and the Dish Package I have does not have NBCSN or Fox Sports 1. to add it would cost about $60 a month more and I couldn't go back to this one which for $35 I get all the locals, networks and HBO for $35 in HD not going to give that up and also have DVR and that includes the equipment.
Vue the cheapest package $30 a month has both channels DVR and also several channels that we don't get like Animal, NatGeo,BBC and several others I don't think it can be beat with any of the other paid streaming services.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Well, another day wasted trying to set Kodi up for the kids. We're just interested in movies and maybe a tv show we missed. My oldest teen freaked when specto shut down her movie halfway through.

Haven't tried RD yet. Tried some Super Build that was supposed to make everything work, and it wouldn't work, lol.

Can't see me cutting cable anytime soon. What a waste.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 19, 2009
    Spokane,WA
    Well, another day wasted trying to set Kodi up for the kids. We're just interested in movies and maybe a tv show we missed. My oldest teen freaked when specto shut down her movie halfway through.

Haven't tried RD yet. Tried some Super Build that was supposed to make everything work, and it wouldn't work, lol.

Can't see me cutting cable anytime soon. What a waste.
    I've heard those builds are not the best way to go. I think with TVaddons being down to be able to watch stuff you have to start using streams that require you to pair. I've heard some of those still work but so many use the Fusion repo and TvAddons linked to so many addons it's going to be a little more work to watch what you want on Kodi. I did read that it was down not because of legal problems but that they had been planning a big update to the Fusion repo for quite a while also a security update that they decided this would be a good time to do it. Thats just what I read on the Kodi site. SkyStream put out that one way to get the movies you want is to clear your providers section then when you go to get streams you will get them but they are ones that require pairing. I think this will all blow over eventually. Specto did the same thing to me I wasn't using a Real Debrid stream and really haven't tried it cause we have seen everything. I know that WP is working fine but so far it seems like Ex, Sp, Ely are pretty much down all linked to TVaddons

Ken_A

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 13, 2013
    Florida
    In line with personal-use videos, I decided to download my amazon videos... and they stopped allowing it!!!
    This is in line with their policy of becoming your one-stop-shop for all things. However, it can be darned inconvenient if you plan on being somewhere there is no internet and the video you want to watch is on their site.
    Did some investigation, and PlayOn TV is an app that you can use to sign on to many services (including mine) and then download your videos.
    One step closer to kicking the cable habit.

They also let you record local TV, so the app acts like a DVR.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 19, 2009
    Spokane,WA
    I'm trying out PS VUE and I'm pretty impressed so far. The package I am trying is 45 channels, you can go to one like Nat Geo and we are watching Genius. Use catch up and you start with Ep 1 and takes you through the whole show. Only commercials are the ones for NatGeo. You can DVR anything you want on the channels you have and watch them for 18 days with no limit on how many you dl at one time or the amount. It's a lot better then sling and has a lot of channels that are only available with Premium packs on Dish or Cable. All in HD no buffering very nice. With Kodi you can watch them but a lot are not in HD and you have to switch between episode. Add them to my shows and it will automatically record them to the cloud for you to watch when you want.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Newport News, Virginia, United States
    Yeah, we've had PS vue since it came out imo it's much better than cable, and I like it better than sling with all their packages and whatnot.
    Yeah, I dont own a gaming console though, havent had time for games since the days of Quake II.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 23, 2011
    Skippack, PA
    Research ahead I see.....

Looks like a lot of devices/methods are available.

PlayStation Vue

Prices range from $40 to $75 per month. But dang, my wife's 3 'must have channels' (Foodnet work, Nat Geo Wild, and the History Chl) are not in any of the plans.

Channels

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 19, 2009
    Spokane,WA

PlayStation Vue

Prices range from $40 to $75 per month. But dang, my wife's 3 'must have channels' (Foodnet work, Nat Geo Wild, and the History Chl) are not in any of the plans.

Channels
    Elite Slim has Food Network, Nat Geo Wild but no History channel I could find.

kiba

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 21, 2012
    Alexandria, Va, USA
    www.facebook.com

PlayStation Vue

Channels
    Mine is only $29 a month

They are always adding new channels, I don't watch really any TV myself (I'll watch one or two shows or maybe a movie in a week) but it seems to me just like the cable we used to pay out the .... for.

Last edited:
    Reactions: r77r7r

kiba

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 21, 2012
    Alexandria, Va, USA
    www.facebook.com
    Yeah they are pretty much the same, imo. It's just sling has different color packages and they are kind of setup to make you have to get more than one.... guess it's all about if one has a channel you like or not, but yeah you right the sling doesn't come with the dvr, you have to pay extra for it. Personally, tried them both and can't tell the difference, so I went with PS vue bc it saves me 20 bucks a month.

Last edited:
    Reactions: DavidOck

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 19, 2009
    Spokane,WA
    The channel lineup on the blue package on Sling is pretty good for $25, has all your channels @MikeE3 I think. DVR is only $5 extra. I has both NatGeo's, History, and Food Network plus for me it offers a normal guide with Roku. I'm going to give it a try will cancel Vue tomorrow before they charge me and give Sling a try.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 19, 2009
    Spokane,WA
    I had a weird thing happen this morning. I signed up for free Vue using my wifes CC and email so I could get another cause I didn't give it a good try last time. It wouldn't let me using my own. At 5am this morning I got 5 text messages all together giving me 5 different codes to sign in on my phone. So much for sleeping in. I thought I had it set to not give me notifications till 8am. Oh well we usually get up then anyway but we were sleeping good this AM.

Reactions: DavidOck
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread