• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Land of Hurricanes and.. LIGHTNING!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
We had a short thunderstorm yesterday afternoon, really only the second one of the season. It was over in 30 minutes, but a house on the other side of my the street from me got hit. Several people saw the strike. A few minutes later, smoke started pouring out of the roof...

2iKbEd4.jpg

There was nobody home at the time and hurricane glass is tough stuff! It took the firemen the better part of 10 minutes to break into the house. They beat on the one set of glass doors with the axes for more than five minutes before they finally got in:

i5i9Ohb.jpg

After it was all out:

5OFS8yK.jpg

Except for the roof, the outside of the place looks to be in good shape, but the inside is trashed. It will have to be gutted.

Yep I made a call to a company that specializes in lightning protection systems today. Several of my neighbors suddenly want lightning protection systems as well.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Yeah, we had a strike somewhere real close to our house in PA last summer. It popped some breakers and took out a whole bunch of switches and routers, as well as the motherboard on my wife's desktop PC. Easy peasy compare to what his guy is looking at. The only real good news with him is that's not his primary residence; he lives and works in Gainsville, so he's not homeless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread