The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Land of Hurricanes and.. LIGHTNING!

Discussion in 'Florida Vapors Club' started by Rossum, Jun 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    We had a short thunderstorm yesterday afternoon, really only the second one of the season. It was over in 30 minutes, but a house on the other side of my the street from me got hit. Several people saw the strike. A few minutes later, smoke started pouring out of the roof...

[​IMG]

There was nobody home at the time and hurricane glass is tough stuff! It took the firemen the better part of 10 minutes to break into the house. They beat on the one set of glass doors with the axes for more than five minutes before they finally got in:

[​IMG]

After it was all out:

[​IMG]

Except for the roof, the outside of the place looks to be in good shape, but the inside is trashed. It will have to be gutted.

Yep I made a call to a company that specializes in lightning protection systems today. Several of my neighbors suddenly want lightning protection systems as well.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. B2L

B2L Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 14, 2012
    Jacksonville, FL
    Wow, that’s a close call. Glad no one was injured. Makes the router I lost last year to a strike look like peanuts.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    Yeah, we had a strike somewhere real close to our house in PA last summer. It popped some breakers and took out a whole bunch of switches and routers, as well as the motherboard on my wife's desktop PC. Easy peasy compare to what his guy is looking at. The only real good news with him is that's not his primary residence; he lives and works in Gainsville, so he's not homeless.

• Like Like x 3
  4. classwife

classwife Admin
    Asst Classifieds Mgr
    Ask The Vets Mgr
    Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Wowzer !!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.