Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
I just had to share this.

This weekend I was outside dealing with this seasons fallen leaves and my neighbor was on his patio, tinkering with something or other, using charts and tools. Now you need to understand that, while I consider myself to be a reasonably intelligent guy, my neighbor and his wife are well published professors of biology. So basically, I live next door to Bill Nye the Science Guy. The Professor is also a model airplane enthusiast (the remote control kind).

The Professor and I often talk over the short dog eared fence while tending our gardens...his being several raised beds, well planned with charts and graphs and, I'm sure, several genetically superior species of plants. My rather embarrassing garden consists of a few tomato plants from Walmart, supported with sharpened two by fours and twine.

Anyway, on this day, while I was mulching the leaves, the Professor's patio was suddenly and completely enveloped in dense smoke. This could only mean one of two things. He was burning his house down, or he was hatching an evil plot to conquer the world. It could be either.

Slowly the Professor emerged from behind his newly created smoke screen and said, "Don't worry, it's only glycerin". If I wasn't interested before, I was now.

It turns out that he was working on a smoke generator for his model planes. He flies planes that are battery powered, and he had a newly developed device, using li-ion batteries and VG to make smoke...something that I found I could carry on an intelligent conversation about. His biggest problem was finding VG, and I know every store in town that carries it, as well as several online sites. I could also talk about various types of batteries.

Then it struck me. The Professor was creating a new mod...an airplane mod. So if any of you are looking for HUGE clouds of vapor, with an 18 volt battery pack, that will give you 2 1/2 minutes of vaping pleasure...have I got a mod for you.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
His biggest problem was finding VG, and I know every store in town that carries it, as well as several online sites. I could also talk about various types of batteries.

Luv'd your post!

Now if your neighbor (and/or you) is/are serious 'bout VG, ya'll might want to check out da ESSENTIAL DEPOT deal with free $hipping.

BTW:
worthless.gif

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
How many Ohms is that mod running at?!?:D

Yeah...I'm not the expert...just the writer.

I do know, after further research, that there is no tank...just a wet wick..hey, he's dripping. Something about keeping the weight (payload in the Professors terms) low. Oh, and there's also a fan to push out the vapor. This mod is getting more complicated all the time.

Chago

Sep 5, 2013
United States
Having dabbled in that hobby for a bit, I'll have to say this is pretty cool. Smoke wasn't hard to do in the 'old' days when the only worthwhile power source was a noisy oil belching glow engine. Run a line from an internal tank of smoke oil into the muffler, actuate it with a valve and servo and you're in business.
With the recent electric renaissance and the use of Li-Poly cells in RC aircraft, getting smoke was a matter of lighting an attached smokebomb-like canister before take off. No control, no on/off, it just smoked until it consumed all of its fuel. Which as I understand, didn't last too long.

I wonder if your neighbor is using this product or something similar. You'll notice his mention of a 'recipe of readily available products' in the last few seconds of the video.

Last edited:

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
Having dabbled in that hobby for a bit, I'll have to say this is pretty cool. Smoke wasn't hard to do in the 'old' days when the only worthwhile power source was a noisy oil belching glow engine. Run a line from an internal tank of smoke oil into the muffler, actuate it with a valve and servo and you're in business.
With the recent electric renaissance and the use of Li-Poly cells in RC aircraft, getting smoke was a matter of lighting an attached smokebomb-like canister before take off. No control, no on/off, it just smoked until it consumed all of its fuel. Which as I understand, didn't last too long.

I wonder if your neighbor is using this product or something similar. You'll notice his mention of a 'recipe of readily available products' in the last few seconds of the video.

This may be exactly what the Professor was using. I didn't see it up close, but he did say that the person in the youtube video held it in his hand and it was not too hot to hold. The smoke or vapor in the video looks a lot like what I saw from across the fence.

Funny that he told me he was always jealous of the "glow guys" as he called them...but now he had a way to produce a smoke trail. He was quite excited about it. He's not going to try it live until next weekend, if the weather holds.

Anyway, add a little nic in that sucker and he could satisfy the whole neighborhood.

4star60

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
St.louis
Another RC plane guy here... in fact my Nick is one of my favorite planes... I havent done smoke yet, at least not on purpose anyways... Ive got friends at the club who have really large planes with multi-cylinder engines and smoke systems...they put out huge plumes behind their planes... I just dont know if electric planes could handle enough coil and battery to match what these guys are doing with their gasoline engine mufflers but it sure sounds like something cool to work on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread