Last $300 im spending on setup please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

novamatt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2010
Washington, DC area
Honestly, almost any of the more frequently talked about high wattage mods are going to be pretty similar and work well (any of the IPVs or Sigeleis, SXmini, VaporShark). The big differences are the fit and finish stuff and look/feel. The DNA40 has the new temp control, which is the biggest feature to compare, but lower power than the rest of them. Once you decide whether you'd rather have temerature control or that extra 10-110 watts, the rest of it comes down to which one you like the best from an aesthetic and build quality vs price standpoint. I'll throw in a plug here for the SXmini mod because I love it, along with everyone else I've seen who owns one, and you seem to have budgeted for quality. That said, you can't really go wrong with any of them.

However, I'd stay away from the Variant. For $900 (or $250 for the clone), I would expect a mod to have smooth, filtered pulse-width modulation. The Variant isn't filtered. Basically what that means is that instead of a flat signal at the power level you've set it for, it pulses rapidly between a higher and lower power setting to average out to your preferred power level. This can be a harsher vape, especially at higher power levels. Here's a video where you can hear the cycle when the Variant is fired.

Pretty much all of the devices that are universally recommended on these boards (with the exception of the new Eleaf iStick) are filtered pulse-width modulation, which runs that pulse signal through a circuit that flattens it to output a flat, smooth, unchanging power signal. It's probably the only thing the MVP2, Provari, Sigeleis, DNAs, IPVs, and SX350s ALL have in common, and those devices are universally recommended. Usually when someone asks about something with unfiltered PWM, somebody here brings up the "rattlesnake effect" and points out that it's a harsher vape a lot of people don't like.

...I guess that's me in this thread.

Last edited:

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
I was looking for a high watt device that would also have high voltage... doesn't seem to be happening.

All the high watt boxes I've seen so far go up to 6v.

Dna chips deliver up to 8 volts... imo (unscientific) a high watt box with high voltage is unheard of. In fact T8 was supposed to have high volts to go along with high watts; it doesn't.

Why? imo with the prevalence of RTA's and even RDA's there's a strong case to be made for 1 to 2+ ohms coils and higher volts, while keeping amps down, which imo produces a better vape and better batt life.

Thats why imo DNA chip devices are more effective.

novamatt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2010
Washington, DC area
I was looking for a high watt device that would also have high voltage... doesn't seem to be happening.

Dna chips deliver up to 8 volts... imo (unscientific) a high watt box with high voltage is unheard of. In fact T8 was supposed to have high volts to go along with high watts; it doesn't.

Why? imo with the prevalence of RTA's and even RDA's there's a strong case to be made for 1 to 2+ ohms coils and higher volts, while keeping amps down, which imo produces a better vape and better batt life.

I'm not sure how high you're looking for, but there are some out there. The SX350s go up to 9.5v, so the 1.3 ohm coil I've got my 60 watt device can hit the whole wattage range.

You'd think some of the dual battery boxes would be capable of more, but I think you run into current limitations with a serial build and how much voltage you can squeeze from a 3.7v input with parallels.

CoinLaundry

Verified Member
Nov 25, 2014
Stuart, FL, USA

Watts - volts - amps - ohms conversion calculator
2 ohms, 80 watts... 12 volts at 6 amps.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
I'm not sure how high you're looking for, but there are some out there. The SX350s go up to 9.5v, so the 1.3 ohm coil I've got my 60 watt device can hit the whole wattage range.

You'd think some of the dual battery boxes would be capable of more, but I think you run into current limitations with a serial build and how much voltage you can squeeze from a 3.7v input with parallels.

Yes the Yihi SX350 is definitely one i would have loved to had a chance to have.

My thinking is just something that is another big thread about high watt vaping and talking about instead of thick wire and high watts, low sub ohms, how for me 30g wire and lots of wraps (surface area) and higher voltage instead of watts produces a great vape wit lots of vapor and flavor; thinner wire has better cool-down so not as much burning of juice and wick.

Just a theory but imagine multiple 30g wraps, dual coil around 2 to 3 ohms and lots of voltage... low amps

di4medollaz

Aug 22, 2014
canada
i dont understand? my hana modz only moves up in watts not volts and when i move watts up the voltage goes up with it , is there devices that are different?

I have never tried 30 guage in my kayfun. I use 26 guage kanthal and use a bigger drill bit thens reccomended cause i like the cotton real fluffy so i like the hole bigger too stuff through the cotton
And the silica i have tasted were all horrendus compared to cotton but cotton gunks up sooooo bad with desert juices i favor , after i have gone through 3 tanks it looks so gunky and tar infested that it looks as bad as a cigarrete . That cannot be good for the lungs lol. I would switch to silica cause it doesnt seem to burn but i just dont like that taste it leaves.

I bought russian or german ekowool but i accidently got 3mm and it looks way too thick. Man i wish there was a good alternative too cotton!! I use that special bacon
cotton.
What is the best most healthiest and best tasting method in a kayfun? i have 28 guage , 26 guage , 24 guage and i have ni100 nichrome 28 guage and organic , japanes and bacon cotton as well as pre made silica wires from fastech to try out. I also been trying all the kayfun alternatives like taifun gt and genesis ones and nothing has even come close too the kayfun yet. Any reccomendations?

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
i dont understand? my hana modz only moves up in watts not volts and when i move watts up the voltage goes up with it , is there devices that are different?

I have never tried 30 guage in my kayfun. I use 26 guage kanthal and use a bigger drill bit thens reccomended cause i like the cotton real fluffy so i like the hole bigger too stuff through the cotton
And the silica i have tasted were all horrendus compared to cotton but cotton gunks up sooooo bad with desert juices i favor , after i have gone through 3 tanks it looks so gunky and tar infested that it looks as bad as a cigarrete . That cannot be good for the lungs lol. I would switch to silica cause it doesnt seem to burn but i just dont like that taste it leaves.

I bought russian or german ekowool but i accidently got 3mm and it looks way too thick. Man i wish there was a good alternative too cotton!! I use that special bacon
cotton.
What is the best most healthiest and best tasting method in a kayfun? i have 28 guage , 26 guage , 24 guage and i have ni100 nichrome 28 guage and organic , japanes and bacon cotton as well as pre made silica wires from fastech to try out. I also been trying all the kayfun alternatives like taifun gt and genesis ones and nothing has even come close too the kayfun yet. Any reccomendations?

DNA type has Watts and Voltage.
In basic mode (non Temp Protection dna40) you do raise watts and notice your volts go up or down.
What i'm saying is that DNA30 and 40 type chips can bring your voltage up (by raising watts) to 8volts, maybe 9 on some.

High wattage boxes typically (i don't know them all) raise by voltage which when calculated out can go up to 100w or whatever but the voltage maxes at about 6 volts.
They can handle very low sub ohms and high amps but do not offer more volts.

Cotton is my favorite too but I don't mind changing the wick every couple of days if i need to. Simple enough.

With Nichrome you can get a bit more conductivity but some don't like the taste... some don't notice it.

As far as coil ID, it varies to your preference.

Last edited:

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
Forgot to say that thicker wire will reduce the ohms and raise the heat.
I have started liking 30g wire around 1 to 2 ohms at around 5 to 6 volts... i find that you get lots of wraps on a 2.5 to 3mm ID coil (9 to 11 wraps) for good surface area, and the thinner wire has better cool down so you get plenty of vapor and less burning when you raise the voltage (by raising watts on a dna).

]DNA40 temp protect is different thing altogether...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread