Lavatube 1.5 or 2.5 ohm DCCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonie

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2011
California
Hey cop, thought I would share my experience with you since I have a lavatube and have just tried some SmokTech DC Cartos:

(Keep in mind I'm a newbie vaper)

I purchased a couple 3.0 Ohm and 2.5 Ohm DC versions from MadVapes and filled them up with AVE Gorrilla juice
The 3 Ohm Version was useless for me
Weak vapor production throughout the Lavatubes voltage range from 3.0 to 6.0
No throat hit at low voltages to a mildly, sharp unpleasant one at higher voltages
The thing starts getting very hot, very quickly at higher voltage

The 2.5 Ohm was not much better...
Slightly more vapor and throat hit, but not enough for my liking.
I dont understand why these were not performing well for me, perhaps they were defective.

My Boge 2.0 and 3.2 Ohm Single coil cartos work amazingly well with the Lava Tube.
Incredible Vapor, Incredible Flavor, and Throat Hit.

I dont know why the dual coils perform so differently even though they have ohm ratings similar to those of my single coils. It seems as they need more voltage or power than what the LavaTube can deliver, but at the same time they go so hot, so it makes me wonder. Anyways, that's just my experience

Killjoy1

Ω Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
New Hampshire, US
I dont know why the dual coils perform so differently even though they have ohm ratings similar to those of my single coils

Dual coil cartos are composed of two high resistance coils in parallel, so the total resistance winds up being half that of either individual coil. For example, a 1.5 ohm DC has two 3 ohm coils, a 3 ohm DC has two 6 ohm coils, etc. This is why they behave so differently compared to single coils of the same total resistance at the same voltages

I have and like the 3 ohm DCs for some of my juices, but they really do require at least 6v for me (the loaded output voltage displayed on my Darwin is usually around 6.3-6.4v when I vape with those)

KeysBum

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2011
Florida Keys, USA
My Boge 2.0 and 3.2 Ohm Single coil cartos work amazingly well with the Lava Tube.
Incredible Vapor, Incredible Flavor, and Throat Hit.

You figured out the most important thing. You love the Boges and they work better. And they are less expensive. In my simple mind, that's as hard as I have to think.

EDIT: btw, boge now makes the cartos in an xl version that is the same size as the DC's. Better for tanks.

Last edited:

Killjoy1

Ω Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
New Hampshire, US
The XL Boges are actually slightly shorter than the XL dual coils (about midway between the length of a standard Boge and XL dual coil), so won't fit all of the larger size tanks. I snagged a few packs of them on the classifieds and I do like them, though :) I've been using them in my 3ml tanks lately

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
funny you should post this right now.. I just punched a 2.5 smoktech dual coil carto and tried it on my LT. The highest I can get is 5v. Set at anywhere above 5v my voltmeter still shows 5v. It's not a bad vape but I can put it on my MV vv box and it will go up higher (got it set to 5.9 right now)and gives (me) a much more satisfying vape. I'm a bit disappointed, the 2.5ohm dc carto is a kinda wimpy vape at 5v IMO

Keeno

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2011
Indiana
funny you should post this right now.. I just punched a 2.5 smoktech dual coil carto and tried it on my LT. The highest I can get is 5v. Set at anywhere above 5v my voltmeter still shows 5v. It's not a bad vape but I can put it on my MV vv box and it will go up higher (got it set to 5.9 right now)and gives (me) a much more satisfying vape. I'm a bit disappointed, the 2.5ohm dc carto is a kinda wimpy vape at 5v IMO

Yep, ya gotta run 3.0 carts to push the envelope past 5.0 on the LT....hard to find the 3.0 tube tank refills other than Volcano. If one loves tank vaping it's best to go with a Buzz or similar IMO.

EDIT: I've got a thread started addressing the issue of 3.0 carts in regards to availability and exclusivity. Usually those guys are very knowledgeable and quick at answering questions but I've had 9 views w/o a response....so far nobody knows the answer or just doesn't want to put their fingerprints on the topic.

EDIT: I received a response from the forum administrator at the Volcano Forums stating:

"There are many other places selling carto tanks like our Tube Tanks and many sell single coil 3.0 ohm cartos like ours".

Of course I "get" that response but as far as the response to the single coil 3.0ohms cartos I'll continue my quest.....lol

Last edited:

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Yep, ya gotta run 3.0 carts to push the envelope past 5.0 on the LT....hard to find the 3.0 tube tank refills other than Volcano. If one loves tank vaping it's best to go with a Buzz or similar IMO.

EDIT: I've got a thread started addressing the issue of 3.0 carts in regards to availability and exclusivity. Usually those guys are very knowledgeable and quick at answering questions but I've had 9 views w/o a response....so far nobody knows the answer or just doesn't want to put their fingerprints on the topic.

When you say "carts" are you meaning cartridges or cartomizers? I looked but couldn't find any thread by you on 3.0 carts or cartos. I got my 3.0 cartos at ccv in stainless steel for my tanks. Actually the lt does very well with LR cartos if I keep the voltage below 4.2. Which I would anyway.

Keeno

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2011
Indiana
I'm speaking of the cartos...in particular single coil 3.0ohm stainless steel to be used in a tank. I believe them to be smoktechs with the flange though the flange wouldn't be necessary for use. The question I have would only affect those who want the upper range available to them. Thanks for the info....:)

Can you link me to your cartos page at ccv....I can't seem to find them..

Also, my thread is under "general and technical issues" at the Volcano Forum

I just want to know if the cartos Volcano sells are specifically manufactured for resellers of the LT because I can't seem to find the exact item elsewhere. I want the 3.0 single coil and I know I can get them at Volcano but I just don't like the idea of a proprietary cartos but with the LT it would make sense due to being limited to 2.5 amps under load. Who knows as I could totally be missing the boat here and I'm just not looking in the right place.....lol

My belief is that the 3.0 single coils sold by Volcano are specifically manufactured for Volcano taking into account the LT is limited to 2.5 amps under load thus they aren't mass distributed....I think of it as a "special order" item.

Last edited:

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
ccv does carry ss 3.0 cartos that I've used in a tank.. but they are boge and not smoktech. I can't find any smoktech cartos in ss in the 3.0 range. I did find some smoktech 2.5 cartos at madvapes but they are black stickered. I bought a pack but the stickers are tough to get completely off.. I've punched a couple but haven't tried them yet because I've got a couple cartos going right now and I don't like to have more than 2 going at once. (I can't keep up with what is what)

Also the ccv boge 3.0 ss cartos are not prepunched. I'm seeing many prepunched dual coil cartos but they flood in the chibi tank.. I just tried it and no matter what I did it kept flooding.

I like the smoktech 1.7 "resurrectors" because they do much better for me in a tank than the boge. they seem to wick better with one hole.. and are easier to punch than the smoktech (for me anyway) the boges are harder to punch and they need 2 holes to wick.. I've tried a couple and they haven't done as well for me as the smoktech. so this is why I keep using the resurrectors on my LT..

there are so many variables! it's hard sometimes to figure out what exactly the issue is at any given time. it could be the hardware.. it could be the juice.. it could be the batteries. no wonder some people call it quits LOL

(I was looking for your post here.. I haven't been to the volcano forums much)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread