Lavatube help needed. Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertButler

Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
New Jersey
Hello y'all, I just got a lavatube. Bought a battery today at a local shop today not quite what it calls for but it is a 18650 that fits like an IMR. That might be the problem and it might not be. But when I plug it in and hit the power button the allotted seven times to see how much voltage is left in the battery it gives me a bunch of odd "digits" usually followed by .2 usually around the fifth or sixth click and every time I press the power button after this occurs it changes almost as if to be cycling through a menu but I know it's not so if any body knows why this is happening please let me know. Thank you in advance!

RobertButler

Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
New Jersey
It's a green battery says nimh 4x1/3a 4.8v 600mah. It fits fine an I've seen videos of protected batts that do not fit; my end cap screws down all the way so that's not the problem. It may be its not lithium ion that's causing the problem? I bought it in a pinch. Trying to find a good deal on the right ones so hopefully that'll fix my problems but I have taken the battery out a few times and it happens every time so it's not a matter of resetting the board. I'm just stumped its so weird and I can't find anything about this and also this battery does not last me longer than an hour afraid of over charging being its not protected and I don't have a voltage meter handy to test. Just really confused.

WyattDerp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2011
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
You only want to use the batteries that are recommended for it, which are IMR 18650 batteries. The recommended brand is AW. 1600 mah seems to the right size of those batteries for the Lavatube.

AW IMR18650 1600mAh LiMN rechargeable lithium battery

That is one vendor who carries them but I suggest you shop around to find a good deal. These batteries are Li-MN, Lithium Manganese, and are safe chemistry batteries. The battery you purchased sounds like it is a Nickel based battery, NOT to be used in the Lavatube. For your safety, find a vendor, buy the right batteries and you will keep both your device and yourself safe.

j0ker

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
MS Gulf Coast
You only want to use the batteries that are recommended for it, which are IMR 18650 batteries. The recommended brand is AW. 1600 mah seems to the right size of those batteries for the Lavatube.

AW IMR18650 1600mAh LiMN rechargeable lithium battery

That is one vendor who carries them but I suggest you shop around to find a good deal. These batteries are Li-MN, Lithium Manganese, and are safe chemistry batteries. The battery you purchased sounds like it is a Nickel based battery, NOT to be used in the Lavatube. For your safety, find a vendor, buy the right batteries and you will keep both your device and yourself safe.

Excellent advise. Only use the manufacturer's recommended battery, ALWAYS. It's important to your safety as well as the operation of your device.

tokarev

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee, USA
Most likely the problem is that is a 4.8volt battery and not a 3.7volt.

I don't have a Lavatube, but you are most likely correct. The 4.8V NiMH battery pack is not designed to replace a 3.7V battery. It is designed to replace the 2 stacked batteries in a 5/6/7.4V tube mod to avoid the danger of a possible battery explosion. If the Lavatube is designed to use 3.7V, then that battery will not work. I just got a couple of these from MadVapes for my old Prodigy V1, but haven't used them yet except to charge and test them. They will replace the original pair of LiFePo4 batteries that came with the Prodigy. These battery packs require their own special 4.8/5.0V charger and should NOT be charged on a charger designed for lithium or regular NiMH batteries.

Sicarius

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2011
NZ
Breaking News

A young man in his early 20's, R Butler, was quietly carrying on with his day dominating on Battlefield 3 on a typical weekend day when suddenly the silence was shattered by a loud bang followed by uncontrolled screaming. Members of the household all rushed to check if Rob had once again unplugged the headphones to the sound system (which according to neighbours was always on maximum volume) only to find a smoke filled room and the smell of Nickel Metal Hydride permeating the air and the victim huddled in the corner of the room. Fortunately he was not seriously injured and reports, although sketchy, point toward the young man lighting up on a modified electrical cigar that had apparently been used with non approved stacked batteries in the device. Updates will be brought to you as the story unfolds.

YodaT for Sicarius News Channel.

tokarev

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee, USA
I assume that is a fictional story for "educational" purposes since I have seen nothing of the sort in recent news. Point taken. NiMH batteries certainly CAN and HAVE exploded, but IMO the danger of explosion with NiMH is far less than with L-ion. If one MUST use a tube mod with stacked batteries, I believe that stacked NiMH would be safer than stacked L-ion. That's just MY opinion. Some risk is assumed when using ANY battery powered device and each individual will have to decide for themselves how much risk they are willing to take. Or you could just get a box mod with either type of battery and not have to worry about the "pipe bomb" effect. Even then there is a possibility of explosion or fire. It's just not likely to be as violent as an exploding tube mod.

RobertButler

Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
New Jersey
Breaking News

A young man in his early 20's, R Butler, was quietly carrying on with his day dominating on Battlefield 3 on a typical weekend day when suddenly the silence was shattered by a loud bang followed by uncontrolled screaming. Members of the household all rushed to check if Rob had once again unplugged the headphones to the sound system (which according to neighbours was always on maximum volume) only to find a smoke filled room and the smell of Nickel Metal Hydride permeating the air and the victim huddled in the corner of the room. Fortunately he was not seriously injured and reports, although sketchy, point toward the young man lighting up on a modified electrical cigar that had apparently been used with non approved stacked batteries in the device. Updates will be brought to you as the story unfolds.

YodaT for Sicarius News Channel.

This made me LOL, I am not completely ignorant I love how everyone on here thinks I am. Batteries are not unstable from the get go, I've had RC cars as a hobby for quite some time so I know how to tend and care for batteries. I was not stacking and not using some cheap home made mod but was unaware it was used to replace a set of batteries the kid at the smokeshop told me it would work until I found the right one (which it does) but I will not use it anymore as to not fry the device or anything. I had the battery in for short intervals being it was the only thing that would fit into the device and it was just sitting there teasing me for a week now. I have since ordered a proper battery from Totally Wicked. I was really curious as to if anyone was experiencing this problem or has before and as to why it might have happened. I never asked if it was safe to use, just if it could be causing the problem I was running into. But thank you everyone for your concern.

P.S. I do not play battlefield, I prefer Call of Duty. =D

Last edited:

TUC

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2011
Central Texas
invape.com
Thats without a doubt your problem. The lavatube is made to use a 3.7V battery, not a 4.8V battery. I would not even try to use that battery bc you could def screwup/fry your internals.
Also do NOT try charging that battery on your charger. nimh 4.8V batteries require a special charger

Absolutely correct...that is not the battery the lavatube is designed for use, and is THE cause of what you are experiencing.

tokarev

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee, USA
This made me LOL, I am not completely ignorant I love how everyone on here thinks I am. Batteries are not unstable from the get go, I've had RC cars as a hobby for quite some time so I know how to tend and care for batteries. I was not stacking and not using some cheap home made mod but was unaware it was used to replace a set of batteries the kid at the smokeshop told me it would work until I found the right one (which it does) but I will not use it anymore as to not fry the device or anything. I had the battery in for short intervals being it was the only thing that would fit into the device and it was just sitting there teasing me for a week now. I have since ordered a proper battery from Totally Wicked. I was really curious as to if anyone was experiencing this problem or has before and as to why it might have happened. I never asked if it was safe to use, just if it could be causing the problem I was running into. But thank you everyone for your concern.

P.S. I do not play battlefield, I prefer Call of Duty. =D

Ah, an inside joke! I was unaware of this story. I don't keep up on the forum like I used to. I'm glad you weren't badly hurt, Robert. BTW, I haven't played in a while, but I prefer COD as well (or MOH Airborne). :)

RobertButler

Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
New Jersey
Well I wonder now if he sold me a charger for that battery or for the other 18650's is there an easy way to tell, it seems to just be a knock off black box charger with a slot for one battery in it. No branding or anything of the sort.

**EDIT** the picture of the battery inside the charging slot says Li-Ion so I am assuming that answers the question hahaha.

and Tokarev idk if you heard but there was a lot of commotion in the news recently over a man who was using a tube mod or e-cigar that "exploded" in his mouth. Im assuming this is what Sicarius was referring to.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread