LavaTube or VV Box Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

antihero

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
S. California
Looking to get my first VV mod. Need to step it up from 3.7v. I've been stoked on getting the LavaTube since I first heard about them but everyone's sold out and I don't want a kit. Anyway, would you guys recommend the LavaTube or getting a VV box mod from MadVapes, FoxyBoxMods, or MaximumVapors? I would have included smoktek but they're currently sold out and cost $60. I am trying to keep the initial cost down (but not necessarily looking for the cheapest mod) since I still have to grab some cartos and a tank (I'm currently looking at the Mini Sub from Mom & Pop and I've heard good things about the J-tank from electronicstix.)

Thanks in advance. And yes, I know personal preferences are subjective. :)

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
The LT is amp limited so unless you're going to use higher ohm cartos 2.5 ohm and above you will most likely run into the limiter kicking in at some point, especially if you like 1.5 ohm DC which the LT doesn't like those at all, 2.5 ohm DC should be ok.

Performance wise you'd be better off getting a box which uses 2 batteries with a switching regulator and being less current limited. It's a question of form factor and durability vs performance, whichever matters to you most. I'd personally recommend getting a box now to introduce you to vv and saving up to get a better tube later, like the Infinity Pro or Buzz Pro, they really are a much better build mods.

antihero

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
S. California
The Lavatube is good but there are issues - particularly the fact that it won't run dual coil cartos over 3.7 volts (the Buzz and Infinity will). PBusardo did an excellent video comparison - check it out.

I've been a fan of the Buzz Pro over the iPro for a couple of months now. I'll check out PBusardo's review. Thanks

I'd personally recommend getting a box now to introduce you to vv and saving up to get a better tube later, like the Infinity Pro or Buzz Pro, they really are a much better build mods.

Thanks, you made a lot of sense. I'm gonna go fall in love with the Buzz Pro all over again after that video. Know of any switching regulator box mods? (Besides SmokTek since they're currently sold out.)

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Know of any switching regulator box mods? (Besides SmokTek since they're currently sold out.)

Message Rob through the SmokTek web site about the stock status. Once I did that he got right back to me, put some in stock the next day, I got my order in... and they were back to out of stock status within 48 hours. But asking did the trick.

Actually it's $54.95 - not $60.00 - and you can use code ECF5 to knock 5% off the order total. The shipping on mine was only $3.25

Last edited:

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
Thanks, you made a lot of sense. I'm gonna go fall in love with the Buzz Pro all over again after that video. Know of any switching regulator box mods? (Besides SmokTek since they're currently sold out.)

You could check with SmokTek about the stock status as as Rick mentioned. I'm pretty sure Maximum Vapor uses one in their Evercool VV, you could double check with them, Ken at boxmods.net and James at KrmosonKustoms does also. There are probably several others but those should get you going.

skipdashu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2011
Central Texas
Thanks guys. I might go with Maximum Vapors just because it's $45 and EverCool'd. I'd look at SmokTek's another time.

But thanks for all the input

That is probably the best bang for the buck out there and Todd is a good guy. I've got a Madvapes VV (from kit), one of Todd's fancier VV boxes and an LT. I find I use the box from Todd most often.

You might also consider one his 5v boxes ($25 right now) as I seem to end up just under 5v most of the time with my VVs anyway. With 3.0 ohm cartos 5v ain't bad with most juices.

With VV you really don't have any need for LR stuff and it just seems my standard resistance stuff lasts a bit longer. The whole point of LR was to simulate higher voltage anyway. The only DCs I use any more are in tanks. My old 1.5~1.6ohm tank cartos are almost gone and I've been replacing them with 2.5 or 3.0 ohm versions. I've also got a small tank on order so I can use standard sized Boge cartos in a tank.

Good luck, Skip

PS: I do have a deal on a used Buzz cooking ;-) If I could get my money back out of my LT (bare) I'd probably sell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread