Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
You may want to consider the ECHO E cartomizers...they work with the ego batteries...cost about $ 5 ...getting good reviews...no leaking

Hmm. I'm not usually a carto kinda guy (the semi-disposable aspect always bothered me as I figured I'd be spending more in the long run). These look interesting though. How long does one last before you have to chuck it? Do any places sell 5 packs? What's the vapour like?

shade82000

Feb 6, 2011
Dunstable, UK
It sounds like you are talking about the tank leaking with a cap. If you want to carry pre-filled tanks...I've found that they don't leak when inserted into an atomizer.

I've been using the ego tank for over 4 months with good success with 8 atty's in rotation. I've only lost 1 atty and 2 wicks so far. I pull the plates, dry burn, burn the wick, and check the wick position. They work as new after cleaning.

I had a couple of leaky atty's when I started, but haven't had the problem since I started cleaning my atty's...don't know what fixed the problem...probably repositioning the wick.

Here is a link to atty cleaning with video...
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...9915-new-ego-tank-system-233.html#post3210797

Here is link to atty adjustment
YouTube - ‪eGo-t wick adjustment‬‏
I'm talking about the tank when it's inserted into both A & B type attys. I have been through 6 in total and they have all started leaking eventually. I don't carry filled tanks round, I just top up from the bottles that I buy the juice in.

When I talk about the cap, I mean that I replaced the end caps on the B type tanks with ones from Totally Wicked. They are just silicone versions of the plastic caps that get pierced when you put the tank into the atty, not the silicone bits that come with the tanks themselves. I thought the silicone might help seal the join between the cap and the wick tube. I did put a link somewhere in an older post.

You may want to consider the ECHO E cartomizers...they work with the ego batteries...cost about $ 5 ...getting good reviews...no leaking

I didn't consider cartos at first because it defeated the principle of buying an Ego-T...but I am willing to try anything now and I think the 2 large capacity batteries that I got with my T are good, so all is not lost. I have ordered a 5 pack of 'XL Clearomizers' for the 501 thread, hopefully these will work well enough but they are only £9 for a pack of 5 so they might not be very good.

I'm going to try punching out the insides from one of my leaky type A attys and modify the empty cone so it sits around these cartos to protect them.

I might try those Echo ones soon though if these ones don't work well, thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
So I had ordered a couple more B-type attys from the same place I got the other two from hoping that either they'd work better or give me new attys to mod in some way so that they did work better. Seems that these two new ones I got are working a good bit better than the first two. They don't burn as hot so no wick burn that I've been able to detect so far, and they haven't been flooding, so these must have been from a different batch -- which is to say, a properly made batch. So it's clearly very hit or miss, which I suppose is probably made far more noticeable by the low tolerance for variation in this atomizer design, since the slightest thing wrong makes a huge difference. (Wick too high/low/short/long, resistance too high or low). Makes me wonder if Joye hasn't had these poor QC issues all along and we just didn't notice as much with past products because they had a higher tolerance for variance.

Pleasantly though, I'm finding that 26mg 50/50 liquid is vaping quite nicely in the couple of A-types I have left; they were near useless for 18mg liquid, but the 26mg stuff I have is giving a satisfying TH, so at least I know I have backup if these Bs do end up going.

Last edited:

Embryodad

Oct 14, 2010
NW-NJ
Throat Hit is a 8 on a rank of 1 thru 10... and that is a 100% battery power.

Throat hit at < 40% battery power...is about a 4 ....but with slower draw....it is upwards to a 6 .

Sometimes I choke from too much throat hit. Just that it is abrupt when I'm not in cadence with thought and what I am drawing on.

As far as leaks .... = (0) None ever evident, and I have mine for over 3 weeks now.

Embryodad

Oct 14, 2010
NW-NJ
How is it on vapour production and throat hit though? I started with an eGo so I know how the 510 atomizer performs (though I have yet to try the Bauway, which is supposedly better) and I found it a bit underwhelming. Since the Reo uses a 510 atty does it perform more or less the same?

Throat Hit is a 8 on a rank of 1 thru 10... and that is a 100% battery power.

Throat hit at < 40% battery power...is about a 4 ....but with slower draw....it is upwards to a 6 .

Sometimes I choke from too much throat hit. Just that it is abrupt when I'm not in cadence with thought and what I am drawing on.

As far as leaks .... = (0) None ever evident, and I have mine for over 3 weeks now.

I messed up so I put these together. I didn't attach it to your question.
This should do it!

shade82000

Feb 6, 2011
Dunstable, UK

Well I bought an Echo E carto as you suggested and I have been using it for the last couple of days with my Ego batteries.

It fits perfectly and makes the juices taste 10x better than the tank ever did.

But most importantly, no leaks at all and no juice in the mouth!

It safely holds 3ml of juice and none of it leaks out as long as you lean the carto to one side and drip the juice SLOWLY down the inside wall while rotating it and without getting any into the centre hole.

With a new atty on the Ego T it was a case of fill the tank, burnt, burnt, burnt, burnt, burnt, flavour, flavour, blocked, leaking, huuuurgh there's juice in my mouth.

With this its more like fill the carto, flavour, flavour, flavour, flavour, flavour, flavour, no flavour...time to refill, flavour, flavour, etc

A nice suggestion sir, thank you very much!

Also, I bought this from Genesis in the UK and while I was at it I bought a couple of bottles of Genesis juice, which coincidentally taste a lot better than the TW juices I have been using lately. When I first got the Echo, I did try it with TW juice though otherwise the comparison would not have been fair.

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
I'm definitely considering the Echo-E. It's in the running with a SmokTech dual coil and possibly the Bauway eGo carto -- but I'm definitely looking into the two former, anyway. CDNvapour seems to carry them both, and I know HappyVaper carries the SmokTech DC, so I think I'm definitely going to look into these further. My latest two B-type tank atties are working okay but need frequent cleaning and blowing out, which is getting to be a pain.

alekos557

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2011
dayton, nv
I think the Tank system might just not be for some heavier users, I have a TW Tank system and have replaced the tanks, tank caps, attomizers. Soaked attys in everclear, boiled em, blew em out, etc. Same result, after I get it warmed up, the whole tank of fluid drops into the atty in a rapid manner. The cure---MAP tank or similar item. I have also come to appreciate cartos. There are some members making MAP tanks for cheap.

Cheeseburgermonger

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
USA
This leaking problem I think is in the condensation trap, or whatever you want to call it. I just pull the guts out of the mouthpiece of my tanks, the second I get them. I only had one tank leak into the atomizer, but it was with some super-thin juice I got for free from someone. I normally use VG, which is pretty thick, and it works, just fine. Give this a try, and I think y'all'll be pleased. I do wish there was more flavour with the tank system, but I just don't like cartomizers. Personal preference, doncha know!

Chip_

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2011
Texas
Well it's over a month now with the Echo...still using the same carto, still got the same taste, no leaks at all.

No complaints here.

AWWW Darn. The pupose of this thread was to "FIX" the leaking tank problem.
Now ya'll are saying that the way to fix the leaky tank system is buy a different model?? Aw darn it all. I just purchased my 510-T this weekend, and I have been dealing with leaks leaks and more leaks. So now ya'll are telling me I just wasted 80 bucks. and I also purchase an NJOY peice of crap a month ago. SHEESSH I am ....... I am going to go out and buy some analogs right now!! This vaping is a pain in the rear.

Chip_

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2011
Texas
Hey fellow vapors, long time no see.

I've been using my eGo-T for about a month now and I've noticed (with AC liquid) that it will somehow find it's way up to the mouth piece and assault me with the intense taste of cinnamon and nicotine.

I always vape with it at an angle below my mouth, it's never aligned straight with my mouth. I seem to get good airflow (even though my other atty is clogged for some reason, even let if soak in hot water), none the less... Any reason why the liquid is coming out? I don't think I'm pulling too hard, sometimes I even take a slow steady hit and it still happens over a short time.

Okay I see that some folks have given up. I don't blame them.

I think the way to solve this/these problems, is to build a bigger unit and observe what takes place. I say bigger meaning really big. I am thinking of using one of those "Hampster" feeders, and then connect it to a spout that would drain into a small dish. Then we can simulate the workings of these darn atty's.

Like some of the others, mine doesn't start leaking until it gets close to being empty, say 1/8 of the tank left. It would appear to me that this particular symptom may have something to do with the "vacuum" setup inside the tank. This vacuum would prevent all the liquid from draining out, when the space vs liquid in the tank is proportionally correct.

When the liquid level gets low, then all one would have to do is wiggle the pen, and the liquid inside would move/wiggle around, and then loose contact with the sides, creating an air path between the liquid and the sides of the tank. Then voila, no more vacuum and the fluid leaks right out of the tank, which in turn overfills the cup, and then it comes out of the tip into your mouth, and out the sides.

This would only be "one" of the problems encountered with these tanks. So a really big mock up would help isolate some of these problems - I think.
:pop::p

shade82000

Feb 6, 2011
Dunstable, UK
The reason it leaks seems obvious now and I think it's down to the way the tank is designed. Sadly, I believe it's also unavoidable unless you know how to mess with the laws of physics...

Firstly, the tank is too big and there is too much liquid in it. When not using the device, if it is stored in a vertical position and especially if moved a lot ie. when walking then gravity does it's bit and the liquid just pours down the centre hole into the atty. Solution: store in a vertical position with battery up and mouthpiece down.

Secondly, when the tank is near to empty there is more air in it. When air heats up it expands and forces liquid down the centre hole into the atty. By nature, gravity will make the air move to "the top" of the tank while the liquid settles at "the bottom" depending on what way up you hold the device. If you don't want liquid to be forced out then the device must be pointed to the sky while it is being used so that the air is forced out instead of the liquid. This is self-defeating because the atty will get no liquid and will burn. On the plus side your juice will last forever and the device will not leak. Solution: Either don't fill with liquid, or remove the wire from the atty so it doesn't get hot.

Thirdly, people have previously talked about the join / seal between the piercing tube and tank cap being loose sometimes. I have noticed this myself and have come to the conclusion that if it fits tight then there is still a relatively big hole (the tube / wick itself) so any liquid that leaks out will go straight into the atty through the centre tube. If it sits loose then most of the liquid will be pushed through the centre hole but some will escape down the side straight into the vapour path between the atty and the mouthpiece. Solution: block the wick hole, or remove the piercing tube so the tank cap doesn't get pierced.

Unless someone can invent a minature eliquid regulator, like the things you see on gas bottles but small enough to fit into the wick tube, then I think this product is doomed.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I have the Ego cone and cylinder tank attys and they are fine except for the occasional flood just before they empty out. Right now, I'm liking the Boge 510 cartos. Once you use them for a few days, they are easy to fill and have a good bit more taste than the tank, with little or no leakage, even if you carry them in your pocket.

The only issue with the Boge is tight draw. They are free drawing at first, but the filler tends to swell once they get saturated. I remedy this using a straightened jumbo paper clip. I insert the paper clip into the carto from the large end and work it into the center hole in the filler, all the way down and out the battery end. Then, I bias the paper clip against the filler and rotate the carto a few times to press the filler against the sides. This opens up the hole in the center and restores the easy draw.

Boge cartos are so much easier to deal with and don't leak much at all. The taste is as good or better than the tank on a good day and vapor production is right up there with any atomizer I've tried. At $7.99 a carton (5 pack) they are a good deal, IMO.

Chip_

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2011
Texas
The reason it leaks seems obvious now and I think it's down to the way the tank is designed. Sadly, I believe it's also unavoidable unless you know how to mess with the laws of physics...

Firstly, the tank is too big and there is too much liquid in it. When not using the device, if it is stored in a vertical position and especially if moved a lot ie. when walking then gravity does it's bit and the liquid just pours down the centre hole into the atty. Solution: store in a vertical position with battery up and mouthpiece down.

Secondly, when the tank is near to empty there is more air in it. When air heats up it expands and forces liquid down the centre hole into the atty. By nature, gravity will make the air move to "the top" of the tank while the liquid settles at "the bottom" depending on what way up you hold the device. If you don't want liquid to be forced out then the device must be pointed to the sky while it is being used so that the air is forced out instead of the liquid. This is self-defeating because the atty will get no liquid and will burn. On the plus side your juice will last forever and the device will not leak. Solution: Either don't fill with liquid, or remove the wire from the atty so it doesn't get hot.

Thirdly, people have previously talked about the join / seal between the piercing tube and tank cap being loose sometimes. I have noticed this myself and have come to the conclusion that if it fits tight then there is still a relatively big hole (the tube / wick itself) so any liquid that leaks out will go straight into the atty through the centre tube. If it sits loose then most of the liquid will be pushed through the centre hole but some will escape down the side straight into the vapour path between the atty and the mouthpiece. Solution: block the wick hole, or remove the piercing tube so the tank cap doesn't get pierced.

Unless someone can invent a minature eliquid regulator, like the things you see on gas bottles but small enough to fit into the wick tube, then I think this product is doomed.

Well everything you said sounds reasonable at higher macro level. But, there still things that may be done. For instance, back to the Hamster Bottle feeder. They put a bend in the pipe sticking out of the bottom. This bend in the pipe provides some amount of "regulation". So perhaps we could redesign the tank with bends, through a small pipe thingy sort of thing, in the output,:facepalm: to provide some amount of regulation.

Just a thought. I am at work and I cannot experiment right now.

The only time my tanks leak, is when the fluid gets low. So this may be another key paramaters to get this thing going.

I think we need to come up with some empirical formulas. For instance use the Hamster bottle. Determine how much bend, height above cup collecting fluid, size of outlet hole, amount of heat, ratios of space to liquid etc... etc....

I really think we can defeat the leak, if we experiment at larger size and come up with some equations and ratios.
:facepalm::p

Chip_

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2011
Texas
:vapor:

I just had a Branstorming Light bulb go off in my head!!

Take a small tube, put it inside the tank, such that the top of the tube rises above the 1/8 - 1/4 height. Increase the size (height of the tank). This tube then will fit over the spigget thingy. This way the problem with leaks when the tank is about empty will be defeated, since the tank will never get to empty!!! Then just refill it at your convenience.

However, I don't know if this will solve the problem of jiggling the thing when one is jogging at the race track. But, just don't cary it around when you go jogging etc...
:vapor: :laugh:

CelticWoods

Aug 26, 2011
Florida
Okay, I admit to being a noob, in fact, I haven't even started yet, but the biggest difficulties I've heard mentioned here is hole enlargement, and wicking. The best option that I can think of, would be a manufacturing solution. A tankomizer. To make it refillable, you could have a section towards the mouthpiece seperate to refill. This section could have a replaceable o-ring to maintain the seal. I know it wouldn't last forever, but seems like it would reduce alot of the problems I've been reading about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread