LED questions for building mods...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WindLvr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2011
Erie, PA
Ok so I have these 5mm blinking LEDS that said they function at ~70milliamps. So running a 3.7v battery I did the math and came up with needing a 55ohm resistor to get the proper function out of the led. Yet not one light will shine??? Any Ideas? I have tried all kinds of different resistors and even ran a straight battery. I know current is going through because the led got hot when I ran straight battery. I know that one is fried now. I have a whole bunch of these, and want to use them in my next box mod. I want to light it like the Fourth of July!!! Any ideas how to get these LEDs to function properly would be great! Here is a link to the LED: Kingbright USA, an opto-electronic LED manufacturer products include all type of LED LAMPS , SMT LED, SMD LED, LED DISPLAYS optoelectronic components

boneshark187

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2011
New Jersey
make sure you don't have your positive and negative reversed. when you say it got "hot" when you connected straight to a battery you meant heating up as compared to the led illuminated...lol...just making sure

Also did you follow the precautions on page 5&6 of the spec doc:

http://www.kingbrightusa.com/images/catalog/SPEC/WP56BGD.pdf

Last edited:

twohandedcreations

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 19, 2011
orlando florida
If the LED got too hot, it will burn out.... If you hooked it straight to the battery correctly(pos. to pos.), even if it was too much power, the LED woulda turned on for a quick second then got hot and shut off. The longer leg is pos+ and to that you should connect either a 220, 330 or 470ohm resistor then the other leg of the resistor to power/pos+. Then connect the shorter leg of the LED to gnd-.

slimest

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2011
Russia, Moscow
ecigroom.myqip.ru
WindLvr, according to datasheet, your LED' can safely work on voltage 3.5-14V. Judjing to datasheet, they have a zener diode inside. So a power dissipation depends on voltage. For 3.5V current is 8ma, for 8V (2 batteries power) current should be approx 35ma. As far as I understand, no need in a resistors because these leds have a built-in board.
If you are going to use these diodes constantly switched on, with 7-8V, you could use a small heatsink, as shown on datasheet. If these leds will work only occasionally (say, when your atomizer is switched on), or you will use them with 3.5-4V, no need in heatsink at all.
If your LED was ruined from a single lithium accumulator and even did not try to light, I can suppose that it was connected in reverse.
Datasheet: http://www.kingbrightusa.com/images/catalog/SPEC/WP56BGD.pdf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread