Lemo2 original coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I have three Lemo2 RTAs (one I have been using... the other two still brand new) Anyway, when I got the first one, did lots of research... learned all the common issues ect) I really like it (even though I have had some ups and downs with it)
That's not my question. It came with a pre-mounted coil (I removed it and put my own coil that I made in it) The reason I didn't try the original coil is I found out the earlier ones had a Nickel coil (Ni200) and wasn't interested in that. Then they switched to either Kanthal or Nichrome (Ni80) That's the catch... which one do I have? I still have no interest in Nickel (Ni200) and I don't use TC (temp control) I'm about to try another one and considering trying the installed coil. Can I tell what material the coil is by using a magnet? Am I correct that Nickel and/or Nichrome will not stick to a magnet and Kanthal will? On a sidenote... I also assume Stainless steel will stick to a magnet (even though that doesn't apply to this question)

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    You have to measure the inner diameter of the coil and the gauge of the wire and count the # of wraps. Then go to Steam-engine.org and screw around with it until you find a match.

I don't believe it's ni200, that's the wire it shipped with, not the coil (but I could be wrong). In later runs they included 2 types of wire.

• Useful
    Reactions: stols001

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    2nd+ run lemo's mounted coil is 3mm ID, 6/7 wraps, 0.5 ohms, about 24 or 25 AWG

This seems to indicate Nichrome 80.
    Thanks UJ... that does sound about right. Maybe I was confused and the extra wire (I forgot about that) was Nickel (Ni200)
    I'm fine with Nichrome so will give it a try.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    Simple 2 second search found...

eleafworld.com - faq,questions,eleaf,ismoka,istick,melo,lemo

What are the guages and materials of the coils adopted in Lemo/Lemo2/Lemo Drop?

A: The guage of coil of Lemo/Lemo drop is 26, and both coils are made of Kanthal.

The Lemo 2 comes with two different coils: Kanthal coil and Nickel 200 coil. The guage of kanthal coil is 24 and the Nickel 200 coil is 26.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Neither of the stock mounted coils on my lemos 2s (1st run or 2nd+ run) are magnetic.

So given my measurements and what Steam Engine tells, all points to Nichrome 80 (or something close to it lol).

Measure the wire again and it's like 24.5g since it measures 0.47-0.48 on my calipers, that's why I said 24g or 25g earlier. It's Chinese wire and this is eleaf.

So NI80 is still my verdict on the 2 tanks I checked. 24.5 AWG

Last edited:

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    More info.
    Lemo 2 coil issues PLEASE HELP!!

Page 2, last post...
    The wire that comes with lemo2 is ni200. Need a TC mod for it to fire up. The installed coil from factory is reg kanthal 26ga

Page 1 ECF member Suprtrkr said...

I have a Lemo2, and I know what it came with from the factory (.55 Ohm Kanthal contact coil, I didn't measure but prob 24 or 26 ga wire, 3mm-ish mandrel).

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    The Lemo 2 comes with two different coils: Kanthal coil and Nickel 200 coil. The guage of kanthal coil is 24 and the Nickel 200 coil is 26.
    This appears to be 26 ga. Nobody answered my question about different metals sticking to a magnet (I will go test one of my kanthal coils right now)

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    None of my coils stick to a magnet (indicating not kanthal but likely NI80 given all science above), but I cannot prove the non-magnetism as I would need to be able to take video, which I cannot do. Not to mention I have no reason to be lying to anyone. :(

All I can do is leave you with these 2 pics...

Measurements. See the #s, count the wraps. Check against Steam Engine.

tMNxq8R.jpg

And here are 5 of my unused 7 Lemos 2 atties. Count the wraps...

yubBlgg.jpg

You decide.

Ni80

Kanthal A1

However, no one can tell you what you have as the thread posted above is proof that they'll stick whatever they want in these things according to what they have on hand and/or what is cheapest at the time.

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    I did check one of my Kanthal coils (Aspire) and it does stick to a magnet, so at least I am sure this Lemo2 coil is not Kanthal.
    I was going to re-do my RTA anyway, so just out of curiosity, will mount the coil and see what the resistance reads.
    I didn't mean to start a "knowledge war" folks... but since several of us are interested, might as well solve this mystery.
    My original point was that I read (possibly in that super long thread) that the coil material changed sometime during production so who knows. I might just go ahead and dig out one of my extra (new in box) ones too. Seems like it had a pre-installed coil and also some extra loose wire (but my memory isn't so good)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread