Liquid nic...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucentShadow

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Michigan, USA
This is a tough one to answer with the amount of info here.

First, I'd recommend doing an internet refresher on math, as I think that you really should know math like this before working with 100mg/ml nic liquid. I've had to do that a couple of times in the past, and math was my favorite subject in school. [This was just a sensible disclaimer, and not meant as any sort of slight, as I don't know you, but would not want to think of any harm befalling any of those who might read this.]

That aside, it really depends most upon what your target nic concentration is. With only 20% allowed for VG, you would not be able to get anything higher than 20mg/ml with 100mg/ml VG base, since 20% of 100mg/ml plus 80% of 0mg/ml would equal 20mg/ml. For 20mg/ml, the rest would be plain PG and flavorings (considered PG,) in this case. If less than 20mg/ml, then you'd have to add a bit of plain VG to make up the difference.

If you went with a PG nic base, then you'd have no effective limit on nic concentration, and would need to add the proper amounts of plain PG plus flavorings, with 20% plain VG. For instance, if 20mg/ml were the target, then you'd mix 20% PG nic base, 20% plain VG, and 60% plain PG and flavorings.

So, with 80% PG and 20% VG ratio, you have more flexibility if you choose a PG base. If your target nic concentration happens to be 20mg/ml, though, then choosing a VG base could be slightly simpler.

LucentShadow

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Michigan, USA
I do believe I understand that if I got a 250ml bottle of 100mg nic/pg. and mixed it with 250ml of pg, then I'd have 500ml of 50mg nic pg.

Sure. Proof:

250ml * 100mg/ml = 25,000mg of nicotine in 250ml

250ml * 0mg/ml = 0mg of nicotine in 250ml

Total of 25,000mg of nicotine in 500ml, or 25,000/500 = 50mg/ml

LucentShadow

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Michigan, USA
Seems like it would be easy enough, either way. You'd need to use twice the amount of nic base, so it could be more limiting when it comes to PG/VG ratio. It would not likely be a problem if you're choosing PG base, though.

I personally would not want to mix an entire bottle of that at once, though that would limit the hazard of spilling the full strength stuff to that one mixing. I'd guess that the process would oxidize the nic a bit more than usual. Not sure. I'd likely just buy it in the strength closest to that which I wanted. Making sure that the resulting 50mg/ml is thoroughly mixed to an even concentration would be advisable.

With 100mg/ml, to make a 12mg/ml mix, 12% of the mix must be the nic base, as 12 is 12% of 100. With 50mg/ml, that number would double, as 12 is 24% of 50.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
And that would be easier and more importantly safer to get my 12-18% yea?

This is confusing...and brings up the importance of using correct units.

12% nicotine is approximately 120mg/ml.
12% of 100mg/ml nicotine is 12mg/ml.

1.2% nicotine is approximately 12mg/ml.
10% nicotine is approximately 100mg/ml.

LucentShadow did a good job showing the math and why we generally use mg/ml instead of % for nicotine. We use %'s in the form of a ratio when we talk about PG/VG mixes. (80/20 is 80% & 20% and if we were really referring to it as a ratio we'd simply 80/20 to 4:1)

LucentShadow

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Michigan, USA
Good points, Hoosier. I had a tiring day yesterday with jury duty and work, and the incorrect units there (12-18% instead of 12-18mg/ml) escaped my notice. I'm so used to seeing mg used as shorthand for mg/ml that I don't often point that one out explicitly, but since we're on the subject of correct units, I may as well go into that one some more for any who may not know.

Milligrams (mg) is a measure of the mass (or weight) of a substance. In our application, it would represent the amount of nicotine in the solution. For a 250ml bottle of 100mg/ml nicotine solution, each ml contains 100mg of nicotine, so the entire bottle contains 250ml * 100mg = 25,000mg of nicotine that is dissolved into 250ml of liquid.

Milligrams per milliliter (mg/ml) is a measure of the concentration, or strength, of a substance in a solution. Using the above example, this is calculated just as it sounds, dividing the total mg by the total ml, so 25,000mg / 250ml = 100mg/ml.

Usually this one is not that much of an issue, but can get confusing when in some discussions about nicotine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread