Little advice/opinions needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VapingRulz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Florida
it seems to me that the 510 is less of a hassle than the kr808d-1 with the carts and atty's being separate. Wouldn't it make sense for cleaning? That's why I bought the 510.

I think the opposite is true. The 510 is MORE of a hassle than the KR8 because the carts and atty's are separate. You don't actually have to clean anything with the KR8. You can, but it's not necessary.

VapingRulz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Florida
I've never tried to refill a KR8, but I do not quite see how it could be easier than refilling a 510/901 cart: Either pull the thing out, unscrew the liquid bottle, and drip onto the cart, then put cart back in and screw liquid shut. Or pull cart out, take syringe, put that in, push, pull syringe out, put cart back in, put syringe away.

Now how exactly is refilling a KR8 easier?

Firstly, you don't even have to refill unless you want to; the cartomizers are designed to be disposable. I refill because it's more cost-effective to do so.

If you do refill the KR8, you just pop off the cap and silicone ring, add the juice, and put the cap/ring back on. Takes only seconds - and you can refill with up to 30 drops. With the 510, it sounds like you have to refill more often because the carts are smaller.

AlexTM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Cologne, Germany
www.dampfzeichen.de
In other words, the KR8 is not *easier* to refill than a 510/901, although there are fairly easy ways. It is true that a 510/901 holds less liquid (15-18 drops) but then, I don't have to worry about inhaling burned plastic quite so much. Plus, its cheaper.

One also does not have to refill a 510 or 901 - one can get pre-filled carts, too. If one has money to burn, that is.

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
In other words, the KR8 is not *easier* to refill than a 510/901, although there are fairly easy ways. It is true that a 510/901 holds less liquid (15-18 drops) but then, I don't have to worry about inhaling burned plastic quite so much. Plus, its cheaper.

One also does not have to refill a 510 or 901 - one can get pre-filled carts, too. If one has money to burn, that is.
I don't really understand the argument here. It is, without doubt, as easy to refill a KR8 than it is to refill a 510. I have had 510's (many of them) for almost a year now. They are great. However, the cost of replacing atomizers, the hassle of constantly dripping or topping off, the search for the perfect filler, the horrible battery life, etc. led me to the KR8. I still like both models, but for someone new to ecigs (and for me) I cannot imagine a simpler more effective e cig. As for inhaling "burned plastic," where does that burn taste in the 510 come from? I never get that with the KR8, but like all models, one must be sure to keep the atomizer wet to avoid that.

AlexTM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Cologne, Germany
www.dampfzeichen.de
Well, you were the one who said "nothing could be simpler", so I wondered.

As for the burned plastic, I have yet to see burned cart filler in a 510. I've seen more than a few pics of decidedly burned stuff inside a KR8. (Which so far have kept me from trying it.) And you don't get burned taste in a 510er, either, if you keep it wet. Same difference, it seems to me.

Of course the 510 is not perfect - but IMO, neither is the KR8. There is just no perfect PV on the market yet.

southernchick

Dec 22, 2009
Florida
Just something different to consider, if you are not wanting to refill that often, you could also consider a M201 Pen Style or better still the Juice Box from Carlos (do forum search on this one)...

My husband and I have the M201 and it produces great vapor, batteries last a long time and it holds a lot of juice... Yes, it's three parts, but easy to refill.

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
Well, you were the one who said "nothing could be simpler", so I wondered.

As for the burned plastic, I have yet to see burned cart filler in a 510. I've seen more than a few pics of decidedly burned stuff inside a KR8. (Which so far have kept me from trying it.) And you don't get burned taste in a 510er, either, if you keep it wet. Same difference, it seems to me.

Of course the 510 is not perfect - but IMO, neither is the KR8. There is just no perfect PV on the market yet.
It is absolutely true that nothing could be simpler than refilling a KR8. Why does that bother you? I also like the 510, but for me, the KR8 is superior. I do get a burned taste from the 510. I do not get it from the KR8. It is difficult to understand why you want to argue.

Unscrew the cartomizer. Drip into the end that screws into the battery. Reattach. Vape

I just feel like the atty would clog easier and would be more of a pain to clean. My logic is probably wrong since I've never actually used one, so I wanted the best opinion. I just hope the 510 will serve my smoking needs. :)

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
I just feel like the atty would clog easier and would be more of a pain to clean. My logic is probably wrong since I've never actually used one, so I wanted the best opinion. I just hope the 510 will serve my smoking needs. :)
The 510 is a great e cig. I just prefer the KR8. The atty of the KR8 is not meant to be refilled countless times. They are made as disposables.

Domi28

Jan 9, 2010
San Diego
Another question is what is the average life of a Cartomizer? Obviously, if you decide to refill it then it would last longer. But i'm wondering about the average time for both. Like whats the average if you don't refill it, Ans if you do?

I'm excited though. I'm hoping to get one here real soon. Still leaning to the KR8 that's why i'm making sure i know about the Cartomizers.

Also, what are the odds that a local smoke shop carries a KR8 or 501? Should i even bother to check them out, or would they just be cheaply made overpriced VPs?

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
Another question is what is the average life of a Cartomizer? Obviously, if you decide to refill it then it would last longer. But i'm wondering about the average time for both. Like whats the average if you don't refill it, Ans if you do?

I'm excited though. I'm hoping to get one here real soon. Still leaning to the KR8 that's why i'm making sure i know about the Cartomizers.

Also, what are the odds that a local smoke shop carries a KR8 or 501? Should i even bother to check them out, or would they just be cheaply made overpriced VPs?
If you puff on it all day as I do, you would probably use two cartomizers a day. That's why I refill. OTOH, I don't want to be messing with it all the time and take away one of its major advantages, so I do not refill more than 2-3 times. It still costs less than cigarettes doing it the way I do. Some people claim they can refill the cartomizers over and over. I wanted to maintain its ease of use and decided not to do that. You can buy a Smoke 51 which is similar to a KR8 at many malls, but you will be paying double what you would pay for a KR8.

VapingRulz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Florida

I think that "average" depends entirely upon the person doing the vaping. A heavy smoker who switches to vaping will probably run through 2 cartos per day, maybe more and maybe less. It would depend on the nicotine level and their own vaping habits.

I refill my cartomizers about 10 times before they start to underperform. I do have one stellar carto that's been working like a charm since November, but that's not the norm.

Don't buy anything you see in a retail store. In general, they are overpriced and they aren't as good as the models recommended here on ECF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread