little help with OHM and watts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slight

Aug 25, 2011
New York
I have the Q-Box battery with a TFV9 Baby tank according to what I read on the box it has a V8 Baby-Q2 Core (0.4Ω dual coils) pre-installed and it also brings V8 Baby T8 Core (0.15Ω octuple coils) whatever that means. Now my problem is so many settings I'm not sure what I need to increase/decrease. I have searched thru the forum saw some threads but I am still confused, I’ve noticed with some e-liquids things are diff with the same settings. Which makes it even more confusing. I am looking for a lot of vapor which I had with the juice I bought first, but with others sometimes is diff. the vapor comes out too hot or is too little vapor I want a cooler vapor with a bigger amount when I inhale is DL tank I have right now 30.0 watts and OMH says it's on 0.407Ω and strength I have it on “soft” what do I need to play with to make it less hot/more jot less vapor/more vapor

Reactions: stols001

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
lower the watts only and the OHM?
The ohm is determined by the coil.. unless you build your own.. you have no control over ohm. Only wattage and with TC able wires also temp is adjustable. in you case ypu adjust wattage.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
lower the watts only and the OHM?
Ohms are established with the coil. You can't adjust the ohms using buttons. You either swap out the coil or rebuild the coil. You DO adjust the power (wattage) to work with the coil you have installed. Again, start low and work up.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Ohms are established with the coil. You can't adjust the ohms using buttons. You either swap out the coil or rebuild the coil. You DO adjust the power (wattage) to work with the coil you have installed. Again, start low and work up.

Yup, what the puppy said ^^^

It is that easy.

:)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You do not want to adjust your ohms. They are associated with the coil in the tank. Also, all coils have SLIGHT resistance differences and sometimes mods consistently read a coil slightly differently depending on the mod. So do not FREAK OUT if your coil reads, say 0.41 or 0.39 on the mod. WILD resistance changes are/could be a problem, but that is unlikely to happen with a drop in coil (and if it happens with a coil you build, wide resistance changes ARE a problem) but that's not what you have going on.

With regulated mods, wattage is what matters. If you have a different type of coil than your prior one by a fair bit, well, wattage recommendations are printed on the coil but they are MERELY that, nothing more. I vape below recommended wattage all the time and all that happens is I get better coil life, ususally.

Prime it, starting low, increasing slowly, and when you hit a wattage you :"like" well maybe go up 5 watts, to make sure you don't like that MORE, and if not, drop down to your preferred wattage. Etc.

Good luck,

Anna

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
you have no control over ohm
You can't adjust the ohms using buttons
While that used to be true for a long time, it isn't any more today, there's mods that let you manually adjust the resistance. The QBox is one of them, it has an "adj ohm" function in the menu. Another one is the Pulse 80W from VV, I'm sure there is more examples (seeing at least one SMOK and VV mod have it I assume every mod from those manufacturers will have it from one point on).

But everybody is right in telling the OP NOT to do that, it would only be useful in extremely rare situations and presumably only for people who know exactly what (and why) they're doing (it). One reason would be if you measured your mod internal resistance with a copper slug thingy and want to use that info to improve TC.
With drop in coil heads better forget that function exists.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
While that used to be true for a long time, it isn't any more today, there's mods that let you manually adjust the resistance. The QBox is one of them, it has an "adj ohm" function in the menu. Another one is the Pulse 80W from VV, I'm sure there is more examples (seeing at least one SMOK and VV mod have it I assume every mod from those manufacturers will have it from one point on).

But everybody is right in telling the OP NOT to do that, it would only be useful in extremely rare situations and presumably only for people who know exactly what (and why) they're doing (it). One reason would be if you measured your mod internal resistance with a copper slug thingy and want to use that info to improve TC.
With drop in coil heads better forget that function exists.
no way....really? See what I get for running mechanicals all the time? The world is passing me by!:shock:

Reactions: CMD-Ky

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
no way....really?
Yep. It should really be more hidden so that newbies don't accidentally stumble upon it and start ruining their coils. It's in the main menu on the Pulse when in TC and seems to always be in the menu with the SMOK firmware. Someone thought "see all those new vapers vaping away lazily? Let's make it more complicated for them".

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Yep. It should really be more hidden so that newbies don't accidentally stumble upon it and start ruining their coils. It's in the main menu on the Pulse when in TC and seems to always be in the menu with the SMOK firmware. Someone thought "see all those new vapers vaping away lazily? Let's make it more complicated for them".
Good Lord! What's next? Talking mods? (kidding...I did see those....I couldn't possibly be less impressed)

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
You CANNOT adjust the resistance of the coil by changing the setting on your mod. The resistance is set by the coil, period.

Any resistance setting you see in a menu on your mod is to "lock" the resistance while in TC mode. Let's say you check your coil with an ohmmeter and it comes in at .2-ohms - when you put the atomizer on your mod, you can "lock" the resistance on the mod at .2-ohms. You are NOT changing the resistance of the coil by changing the resistance on the mod to, say, .3-ohms. What you ARE doing is insuring that the mod will read the load inappropriately and give you incorrect TC functionality.

As for the OP's question about getting different vapor with different juices - the VG content of the juice will have an effect on the vapor production. Juices with a higher VG content will produce more vapor on the same coil at the same wattage. You will however sacrifice throat hit as you increase the VG percentage of the liquid.

• Useful

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
You CANNOT adjust the resistance of the coil by changing the setting on your mod. The resistance is set by the coil, period.

Any resistance setting you see in a menu on your mod is to "lock" the resistance while in TC mode. Let's say you check your coil with an ohmmeter and it comes in at .2-ohms - when you put the atomizer on your mod, you can "lock" the resistance on the mod at .2-ohms. You are NOT changing the resistance of the coil by changing the resistance on the mod to, say, .3-ohms. What you ARE doing is insuring that the mod will read the load inappropriately and give you incorrect TC functionality.

As for the OP's question about getting different vapor with different juices - the VG content of the juice will have an effect on the vapor production. Juices with a higher VG content will produce more vapor on the same coil at the same wattage. You will however sacrifice throat hit as you increase the VG percentage of the liquid.
That actually makes sense to me.... I've always believed an inch of kanthal is going to have a certain resistance... But I've learned to believe everything that @untar says.

• Agree
Reactions: Zaryk

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
Nobody was saying that though and I doubt anyone actually believed that was possible.
Any resistance setting you see in a menu on your mod is to "lock" the resistance while in TC mode.
Again, there are mods that let you adjust the resistance the mod will use to calculate stuff. Put in a 1Ω coil and dial it down to 0.5Ω. Of course that doesn't change the coil but it will change the behavior of the mod.
That's more than a "lock" feature. If you don't believe it then go read some manuals of the mods I mentioned.

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY

Nah, not to make it more complicated for newbies. It's a scheme to sell more coils that all the newbies will need as they burn them out in less than a day.

Good Lord! What's next? Talking mods? (kidding...I did see those....I couldn't possibly be less impressed)

Ijoy has a voice controlled mod now. "Hey mod, gimme more clouds". People pay extra for the feature.

• Agree

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
You cannot change the ohm rate of a coil.. you can on some mods change the ohm values the mod uses for regulation calculations. This allows for some error correction and to adjust performance to fit user preference. But in any case you are NOT changing the ohm of the coil.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread