Status
Not open for further replies.

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
I'm sure this info is on here somewhere but...I've admitted my inherent laziness before:oops:...has anyone modded these modules? I'm seeing the 2 holes directly adjacent to pin 5, I assume that's where you'd make the connections to use the on/off pin...I'm also assuming the reason why there's 2 holes is because it's similar to the OKR set up where I'd use one of the holes to put a 5-10K res from pin 5 to neg to drain and the other hole is for a N/O tack between pin 5 and + in

...or, I'm a complete idiot and I'm about to get schooled, lol

View attachment 71199

Also, while I'm putting myself out there for ridicule...the data sheet puts the res. range of the on-board trimmer at 50 to 2M ohm...anyone pull it off and use something else? like a digital pot?

I'm sure there's going to be the question "why did you buy a module if you're only gonna hack it?"...that'd be a good question...

Last edited:

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
... I'm seeing the 2 holes directly adjacent to pin 5, I assume that's where you'd make the connections to use the on/off pin...I'm also assuming the reason why there's 2 holes is because it's similar to the OKR set up where I'd use one of the holes to put a 5-10K res from pin 5 to neg to drain and the other hole is for a N/O tack between pin 5 and + in

View attachment 71199

..the data sheet puts the res. range of the on-board trimmer at 50 to 2M ohm...anyone pull it off and use something else? like a digital pot?

I'm sure there's going to be the question "why did you buy a module if you're only gonna hack it?"...that'd be a good question...
That assembly came with a datasheet? How about a link.

Those assemblies are decent. They aren't very efficient though, for reliable operation over 2A they need a heat sink and some breathing room in your mod.

vertigo

ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
canada
I'm sure this info is on here somewhere but...I've admitted my inherent laziness before:oops:...has anyone modded these modules? I'm seeing the 2 holes directly adjacent to pin 5, I assume that's where you'd make the connections to use the on/off pin...I'm also assuming the reason why there's 2 holes is because it's similar to the OKR set up where I'd use one of the holes to put a 5-10K res from pin 5 to neg to drain and the other hole is for a N/O tack between pin 5 and + in

View attachment 71199

Also, while I'm putting myself out there for ridicule...the data sheet puts the res. range of the on-board trimmer at 50 to 2M ohm...anyone pull it off and use something else? like a digital pot?

guys..i need help..i bought a LM2506 but not the same what ive seen here..can someone help me :(..heres the pic..

http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/LM2596-D.PDF

cheers!
vert :vapor:

jhonutz

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
Romania Iasi

vertigo

ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
canada
you say about lm2596, is present in 3 cases but have the same pin numbers. If i understand what do you want

what i got now is the 2nd pic of the link..5 pins..i just asked a friend to buy me a LM2596 as i will use it for VV mod..then when he gave it to me i was shocked lol..its not the same as what a LM2506 looks like..is it possible to make this one a VV mod?

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
You got just the LM2596 regulator itself, Vert. Not sure about hooking that up. Get some of these from eBay (USD 2.18 each) - LM2596 DC Step-Down Adjustable Converter Power Module | eBay. They will be much easier to use.
Well I gotta disagree, forget that $2 trash.

If you are going to the trouble of building a mod why have the 'brains/control center' of your mod be the cheapest part?

Although a tad larger this board appears superior in every way. These things generate heat, best to get one more equipped to dissipate it.

ViewPicture.aspx

Note the pad it's sitting on.

And on the back.

ViewPicture.aspx

DC-DC Adjustable Step-Down Voltage Regulator Module | eBay

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
Just curious, Willy, since they are both LM2596 modules, what makes that one better?

Also, while I don't vape at high watts, I haven't felt any heat from the LM2596s. The eBay listings suggest adding a heatsink if pulling 3A current; but could that be for continuous current applications as opposed to the intermittent currents that vaping generates?

I have a LM350T PT using the same 12V/2A AC adapter that I use for the mods I've made with the LM2596 modules (in PT mode). I've felt how hot the linear LM350T can get going from 12V to 4.5V; the LM2596 is still cool after hours of vaping in PT mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread