loathing my protanks....what do yall use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Ya, the Protank hassle, been there, done that. I was re-coiling those heads for a while, and had 24 of them I think, going through them pretty quick before I just chucked it all and went to an RSST and a mech. Months later I'm still loving that. I use a sigelei 24 mech and yer basic RSST, 400 SS mesh, and 26 kanthal 5/4 wrap and it's perfect for me. Make my own juice too, better than anything I've been able to get from the B&M's, and I'm a happy vaper.

I think you just have to go through the hardware journey until you hit what works best for you. It took me about six weeks to go from eGo batteries and clearos to a mech and RBA, and I'm glad I didn't spend the money on everything in between. I might pop for a better mech at some point, I'd like to have a Roller and an AC9 topper, but for now I'm pretty happy with what I have.

certus11

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2014
usa
The protanks are so good and reliable when you get to know how to work them right. Be patient and learn how to wick your protank. DO NOT start spending your way to a good vape, it doesn't work that way.

Even the best tanks require basic knowledge, flood, leak, and etc... Protanks are great teachers.

I have 3 protanks with two of them being minis and I know that they are absolutely awesome. I just ordered some aqua/origin clone because they will match my watch handsomely but quite frankly I respect the performance of my protanks to the highest level.

sawtoothscream

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
United States
before my protank I used some vivi type top coil and then went to carto tanks. Kinda wish I stayed with my carto tanks. They are kinda a pain to start up but after its all filled they are awesome. For now im just rebuilding my protank heads and they are not to bad, still have that leak that start when the tank gets low. I might go back to cartos

sawtoothscream

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
United States
Finally have a good tasting, none leaking and gurgling build :) did 5 wraps of 32ga kanthal on a 5/64 drill bit, found a allen key that fit the slot in the head and use that to hold to coil in place, pulled the leg tight and bent put on rubber piece then did the same with the other leg and put the contact back. took the cotton puff and made it so it was snug but still slide nice. I left the cotton long and installed the head back in the cup. after it was in the cup I slipped the cotton and stuffed it in, soaked the wick, then put everything back together. I vaped it almost empty with no issues and it hasnt spit at me once yet. Very hapy with the results im getting.

Ohms Lawbreaker

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2014
Right Behind You
My mini protank 2 is old and beat up and just never leaks when rebuilt with cotton and Kanthal heads, hardly even any condensation left on the battery connection either. They did used to leak like crazy and work like crap with stock heads and even worse with cheap clone heads. I think the silica wicks just don't work well in them. With cotton I don't even need the two flavor wicks on top, it absorbs so well. But I do use very high VG juice, like 80/20.

AlabamaWoody

Verified Member
Feb 11, 2014
Huntsville, Al ,USA
The cheap plastic Aspire clearomizers with DBC work great, then they have the same thing in glass, then the new Aspire Nautilus with air flow adjustment. They work great ! The first two can be had for like $10 or less. You can buy the atomizers online in bulk for $1.75 each !
I had a few Davides which are basically pro tanks with the Kanger atomizers. The store bought atomizers are very inconsistent. The DBC on the Aspire's work circles around the Kanger coils. I'm new and keeping it simple and the Aspire's are as simple as it gets and they work !

all_in_ashes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2012
So Cal
I have used both Protanks and Carto tanks from IBtanked and Phiniac. I was never satisfied with my Protanks, and have pretty much stopped using them. My carto tanks are old standbys and i do have a Russian 91% in my rotation as well. I have found the IBTanked orings to be looser than the Phiniacs which has caused a couple accidents. Easily fixed with new orings, but I haven't bothered.

Carto tanks work well, as long as the juice isn't a 'carto-killer' which burns up the carto extra quick . I have used a ton of VV juices and none come to mind as being too rough on cartos. It does take a bit of effort to learn to prime and possibly punch them, but they're easy compared to building coils. Cheers!

GeorgeWachsmuth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2014
Riverhead, NY, USA
I haven't been a huge fan of the Protanks myself-I feel like they mute the flavor. I am waiting on an IGO-W and plan on trying to get past the learning curve and learn to rebuild coils for dripping. Crossing my fingers it would take too much time.

Its pretty easy...lots of basic youtube videos around to help. Just wait...when you get your confidence up you can then try a Kayfun. The IGO W is what I started on. Now its....Tridents and an Atomic....The Atomic is a great next step also. You'll do fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread