The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Local vape shop engages in underage sales to minors under 18 - what to do?

Discussion in 'Law and the E-Cigarette' started by UncleJunkle, Nov 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Nate760

Nate760 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Mar 11, 2014
    San Marcos, CA, USA
    Tell me more about this "real world" where the cops come out because someone thinks something ought to be a crime.

lolwut.jpg

Umm....the law says what the law says. It doesn't say what it doesn't say. In Pennsylvania, the law doesn't say e-liquid is a tobacco product. Therefore, until such time as the law changes, e-liquid is not a tobacco product. What, the cops are just going to show up and say "You know, I personally think that's a tobacco product, so I'm going to arrest you in spite of what the law says." Do cops not care about keeping their jobs in the "real world" you inhabit?

2. stevegmu

stevegmu Moved On ECF Veteran

The lesser of 2 evils argument is silly, yet I see it all the time here...
    I don't think children should be using e-cigarettes and if I see a store repeatedly selling them to children, you better believe I will be calling the
    police. I pay taxes- a lot of them. Most go to things which I don't agree with. So be it...

3. ruet

ruet Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    GR, MI
    You don't see the difference between a teenager who smokes trying to quit via vaping and a teenager drinking wine instead of whiskey? Seriously? Also, you don't just get to make up the law based on what you think or don't think. I think I'm done here. This is crazy talk!

4. Nate760

Mar 11, 2014
    San Marcos, CA, USA
    I hate to be the one to break this to you, but your personal opinions are not the law.

5. stevegmu

stevegmu Moved On ECF Veteran

I am not naive enough to think teens buy cigarettes to quit smoking... Actually I read the Pennsylvania statute, which states sales of tobacco products to minors is unlawful. If you don't believe e-liquid which contains nicotine is a tobacco product, you may have a hard time accepting the TCA...

6. Racehorse

Racehorse ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 12, 2012
    USA midwest
    That's a good point, actually.

7. Racehorse

Jul 12, 2012
    USA midwest
    I don't believe children should be encouraged to go on stimulants and sedatives (nicotine) that act on their dopamine and norepinephrine neurotransmitters. If you are "for" that, then you must also have to be "for" them using other substances that have similar effects on their brains?

Children don't need to be medicated unless there is something wrong, and IMHO, a responsible parent will see this as a warning sign and/or as a possible medical condition.

I've have noticed a peculiar tendency among smokers and ex-smokers, and that is that many assume that a kid taking up smoking is normal--- Because, we did it.

But it's not.

If one is at all self-examined, and truthful to oneself: There is a REASON you started to smoke, actually, probably there are many. Because milllions of people don't smoke and never did.

AnywayIt's different once they are adults. I'll do what i can to support vaping, but that stops short at supporting it for children---so no, not "anything for the cause" from this corner.:closedeyes:

8. Nermal

Nermal Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 8, 2013
    Farmington, NM USA
    Sure is, if e cigarettes and liquids are cigarettes - in which case, we are all in a world of hurt.

9. ruet

ruet Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    GR, MI
    Does your belief extend to caffeine? And, once again, what a person "believes" has no bearing on the legality of selling vaping products to minors in the state of Pennsylvania. If you are so concerned, you should lobby the state in which you reside to enact a ban. Don't forget to include chocolate, coffee, tea, soft drinks and energy drinks to your effort.

Nice try but; who, exactly, said they were "for" anything other than the OP minding their own business absent a law stating otherwise?

10. Nate760

Mar 11, 2014
    San Marcos, CA, USA
    I don't think morbidly obese women should wear yoga pants. Totally calling the cops the next time I see one.

• Like Like x 1
  11. edyle

edyle ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

I get the feeling the sign was about selling 'nicotine' or 'tobacco products' to minors.

A minor might stop at a bar and order coke; the bartender isn't going to refuse to sell a soft drink just because they mainly sell alcohol.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Nate760

Mar 11, 2014
    San Marcos, CA, USA
    No matter what the sign said or didn't say, it's just a sign. A store policy doesn't become law just because you write it on a placard and put it up in the window. You can put up a "No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service" sign and still serve shirtless, barefooted customers to your heart's content.

13. Racehorse

Jul 12, 2012
    USA midwest
    MY belief? Yes, it does. I am not in favor of giving children caffeine or nicotine. Or even a lot of sugar or processed foods.

People apparently live very different lifestyles....and I understand that....its just that I personally don't know anyone in my family or otherwise, who have children who use caffeine. Or energy drinks. That stuff is very hard on your adrenals.

We are all pretty health conscious people though, who have always had regular exerecise program, (hike, walk, or go to gym 4x week, like that), eat mostly only meals made from scratch (processed food is a rare emergency meal), etc. None of the kids eat much candy or junk good except maybe on halloween, although 2-3 small "squares" of high cacao content dark chocolate is something nice every weekend. :)

Understand, on this forum, I'm giving MY opinion. ;)

Most everybody I know lives a little "better" health wise than the "standard american fare" and don't have high cholesterol, obesity, or any of the diseases of modern lifestyle.

So no, I don't believe in giving children energy drinks, caffeine, or nictone. I personally do not think that is in their best interest.

They had an intersting show on a while back, where parents were shown how their "children" would look at age 50 if they continued on their present lifestlyle course. Let's just say.........there were a LOT of tears in that room that day. :( Most parents got a huge wake up call. Nobody wants to prime their children for a life of chronic illness....at least, not purposely. They just don't know any better. I "think" this was part of the Biggest loser or some similar type of fitness programming.

There are other people on this board who are fitness conscious, and DO know what I'm talking about when I say caffeine and energy drinks are hard on the adrenal system, etc. Certainly NOT something I would give to children......sorry!

I know there are all types and one might be the stereotypical sendentary smoker, or someone who eats a lot of processed or fast food and drinks soda and 5 cups of coffee a day.......but I can't say that I *relate* to that lifestyle, because I've never lived it.

14. Racehorse

Jul 12, 2012
    USA midwest
    In most states, at least ones I've lived in, if the establishment doesn't serve food (i.e, is only a bar) then no, minors are not allowed to even be in the premises.

15. Nate760

Mar 11, 2014
    San Marcos, CA, USA
    I can't help but chuckle at the trend of using the term "processed food" as though it's some sort of scathing pejorative. Any food you don't eat raw off the tree is processed.

16. sonicdsl

sonicdsl Admin
    Reviewers Mgr
    Asst Classifieds Mgr
    Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Aug 11, 2011
    :facepalm:

Closing per OP request.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.