Local vape shop engages in underage sales to minors under 18 - what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
Yes, they will. Police are dispatched to all sorts of calls... I live in the real world, not a world of semantics.

Tell me more about this "real world" where the cops come out because someone thinks something ought to be a crime.

Reasonable people understand e-liquid is a tobacco product.

lolwut.jpg

I am sure a shop owner doesn't want the headache and expense of going to court to challenge definitions of tobacco products. Even if they win they lose...

Umm....the law says what the law says. It doesn't say what it doesn't say. In Pennsylvania, the law doesn't say e-liquid is a tobacco product. Therefore, until such time as the law changes, e-liquid is not a tobacco product. What, the cops are just going to show up and say "You know, I personally think that's a tobacco product, so I'm going to arrest you in spite of what the law says." Do cops not care about keeping their jobs in the "real world" you inhabit?

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
Comparing Alcohol to e-liquid is like comparing apples to pumpkins. Yeah, let's waste everyone time and public tax dollars by calling the Police about subjects we know absolutely nothing about! "That looks different". "CALL THE COPS!" Makes perfect sense! Card for what? The only place selling e-cigs to minors in Pennsylvania is prohibited is Philly. If the owner of the store has a problem with his/her employees enforcing store rules, that's their problem. Not some, ill-informed, good-Samaritan wannabe. Hell for all we know it the owner making the sale. ...to his/her own family. Good Deity! I can't get over the inanity of these comments.

The lesser of 2 evils argument is silly, yet I see it all the time here...
I don't think children should be using e-cigarettes and if I see a store repeatedly selling them to children, you better believe I will be calling the
police. I pay taxes- a lot of them. Most go to things which I don't agree with. So be it...

ruet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
GR, MI
The lesser of 2 evils argument is silly, yet I see it all the time here...
I don't think children should be using e-cigarettes and if I see a store repeatedly selling them to children, you better believe I will be calling the
police. I pay taxes- a lot of them. Most go to things which I don't agree with. So be it...

You don't see the difference between a teenager who smokes trying to quit via vaping and a teenager drinking wine instead of whiskey? Seriously? Also, you don't just get to make up the law based on what you think or don't think. I think I'm done here. This is crazy talk!

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
You don't see the difference between a teenager who smokes trying to quit via vaping and a teenager drinking wine instead of whiskey? Seriously? Also, you don't just get to make up the law based on what you think or don't think. I think I'm done here. This is crazy talk!

I am not naive enough to think teens buy cigarettes to quit smoking... Actually I read the Pennsylvania statute, which states sales of tobacco products to minors is unlawful. If you don't believe e-liquid which contains nicotine is a tobacco product, you may have a hard time accepting the TCA...

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
I don't believe children should be encouraged to go on stimulants and sedatives (nicotine) that act on their dopamine and norepinephrine neurotransmitters. If you are "for" that, then you must also have to be "for" them using other substances that have similar effects on their brains?

Children don't need to be medicated unless there is something wrong, and IMHO, a responsible parent will see this as a warning sign and/or as a possible medical condition.

I've have noticed a peculiar tendency among smokers and ex-smokers, and that is that many assume that a kid taking up smoking is normal--- Because, we did it.

But it's not.

If one is at all self-examined, and truthful to oneself: There is a REASON you started to smoke, actually, probably there are many. Because milllions of people don't smoke and never did.

AnywayIt's different once they are adults. I'll do what i can to support vaping, but that stops short at supporting it for children---so no, not "anything for the cause" from this corner.:closedeyes:

ruet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
GR, MI
I don't believe children should be encouraged to go on stimulants and sedatives (nicotine) that act on their dopamine and norepinephrine neurotransmitters.

Does your belief extend to caffeine? And, once again, what a person "believes" has no bearing on the legality of selling vaping products to minors in the state of Pennsylvania. If you are so concerned, you should lobby the state in which you reside to enact a ban. Don't forget to include chocolate, coffee, tea, soft drinks and energy drinks to your effort.

If you are "for" that, then you must also have to be "for" them using other substances that have similar effects on their brains?

Nice try but; who, exactly, said they were "for" anything other than the OP minding their own business absent a law stating otherwise?

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
First of all, I DID NOT say it was or was not illegal. that is something I was looking to find out in this forum. Secondly, if it is not illegal in my state or locality, then why does the store have signs stating they will not sell to minors and why did the employee behind the counter tell the children that they were free to come in but that he could not sell them something?

Thirdly, and most importantly right now, you can just drop the internet muscles right now, son, and speak to me in a more civil tone of voice/text or simply mind YOUR own business and not respond to such a post. Got it? Good. ;) If ya ain't gonna read the posts right or if you are illiterate, don't even try to communicate with those who are literate and trying to have a civil discussion. Capeesh?

I get the feeling the sign was about selling 'nicotine' or 'tobacco products' to minors.

A minor might stop at a bar and order coke; the bartender isn't going to refuse to sell a soft drink just because they mainly sell alcohol.

Reactions: jpargana

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
I get the feeling the sign was about selling 'nicotine' or 'tobacco products' to minors.

No matter what the sign said or didn't say, it's just a sign. A store policy doesn't become law just because you write it on a placard and put it up in the window. You can put up a "No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service" sign and still serve shirtless, barefooted customers to your heart's content.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Does your belief extend to caffeine?

MY belief? Yes, it does. I am not in favor of giving children caffeine or nicotine. Or even a lot of sugar or processed foods.

People apparently live very different lifestyles....and I understand that....its just that I personally don't know anyone in my family or otherwise, who have children who use caffeine. Or energy drinks. That stuff is very hard on your adrenals.

We are all pretty health conscious people though, who have always had regular exerecise program, (hike, walk, or go to gym 4x week, like that), eat mostly only meals made from scratch (processed food is a rare emergency meal), etc. None of the kids eat much candy or junk good except maybe on halloween, although 2-3 small "squares" of high cacao content dark chocolate is something nice every weekend. :)

Understand, on this forum, I'm giving MY opinion. ;)

Most everybody I know lives a little "better" health wise than the "standard american fare" and don't have high cholesterol, obesity, or any of the diseases of modern lifestyle.

So no, I don't believe in giving children energy drinks, caffeine, or nictone. I personally do not think that is in their best interest.

They had an intersting show on a while back, where parents were shown how their "children" would look at age 50 if they continued on their present lifestlyle course. Let's just say.........there were a LOT of tears in that room that day. :( Most parents got a huge wake up call. Nobody wants to prime their children for a life of chronic illness....at least, not purposely. They just don't know any better. I "think" this was part of the Biggest loser or some similar type of fitness programming.

There are other people on this board who are fitness conscious, and DO know what I'm talking about when I say caffeine and energy drinks are hard on the adrenal system, etc. Certainly NOT something I would give to children......sorry!

I know there are all types and one might be the stereotypical sendentary smoker, or someone who eats a lot of processed or fast food and drinks soda and 5 cups of coffee a day.......but I can't say that I *relate* to that lifestyle, because I've never lived it.

Last edited:

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest

A minor might stop at a bar and order coke; the bartender isn't going to refuse to sell a soft drink just because they mainly sell alcohol.

In most states, at least ones I've lived in, if the establishment doesn't serve food (i.e, is only a bar) then no, minors are not allowed to even be in the premises.

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
We are all pretty health conscious people though, who have always had regular exerecise program, (hike, walk, or go to gym 4x week, like that), eat mostly only meals made from scratch (processed food is a rare emergency meal), etc.

I can't help but chuckle at the trend of using the term "processed food" as though it's some sort of scathing pejorative. Any food you don't eat raw off the tree is processed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread