Status
Not open for further replies.

moze229

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2011
Central NC, USA
Hey all.

I realize that many of you do this as a no-brainer, but I was kinda wondering what people do with their equipment and supplies and if they lock them up.

My son is 9, and he has never shown any interest or care in my vape stuff. I did tell him starting a year ago that he's not to touch any of it and that just touching the juice might kill him. (Not likely - just using a scare tactic.) I also told him that if he ever has any questions about any of it to ask me, and I'd share everything I knew with him.

Now that he's getting older, and I know how kids are (because I was one), I wonder if I should start locking this stuff up. I know that's going to vary from child to child, but what do you all do? I'm likely still a few years away from him having a real interest in these things, but I try to stay ahead of the game.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
My children are grown and gone now, and I'll tell you something, you just never know what might happen and it's better safe then to have regrets later.

If my kids were younger I would lock ejuice supplies in a kitchen cabinet, meaning I would either ask hubby or hire a handy man to create a locking cabinet for me away from heat in which to store the ejuice and/or DIY supplies.

Then just keep the key... that won't deter the determined, but it's one more barrier jic..

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hey all.

I realize that many of you do this as a no-brainer, but I was kinda wondering what people do with their equipment and supplies and if they lock them up.

My son is 9, and he has never shown any interest or care in my vape stuff. I did tell him starting a year ago that he's not to touch any of it and that just touching the juice might kill him. (Not likely - just using a scare tactic.) I also told him that if he ever has any questions about any of it to ask me, and I'd share everything I knew with him.

Now that he's getting older, and I know how kids are (because I was one), I wonder if I should start locking this stuff up. I know that's going to vary from child to child, but what do you all do? I'm likely still a few years away from him having a real interest in these things, but I try to stay ahead of the game.

Proceed as you see fit.

NC 2016/2017:
nc1516.JPG

For perspective,
"In 2016-2017, Carolinas Poison Center received 224 calls about e-cigarettes, and 70% pertained to children 5 and under." Link

Cheers
I

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Hey all.

Not 100% scare. IF you have high mg/ml base lying around, AND he gets some on his skin, AND he doesn’t wash it off, he could get dizzy and nauseous. IF he STILL doesn’t wash it off he could fall unconscious, at which, yes, bad things could happen.
Pets are another issue. They like to lick stuff and step in things. I’ve got a cat who likes to lick stuff and step in things with her paws. My solution is to keep juice equipment in high cabinets and on tall furniture which is protected from cat encroachment. I don’t worry about the actual devices so much because anything in them has been diluted down already and I only mix with VG

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
My kids are grown and gone. But there are always dangerous things in a house, as shown in the chart Izan posted.

When my kids were too small to understand, I kept such things out of reach. By the time they were your son’s age, nothing was out of their reach. And I explained what was dangerous and why. And I kept an eye on them.

A few things I did need to lock up. But mostly, aspirin was in the medicine cabinet, sharp knives in the knife block, garden chemicals in the shed.

I never felt the need for scare tactics. Honesty is best. Most kids aren’t out to harm themselves and are smart enough to know if you’re lying. Once they catch you in a lie, they may not believe anything you say again.

So no, I wouldn’t have had to lock all my stuff up. I’d have had to keep my gear and accessories tucked in my room though, or all my scissors and tiny screwdrivers and probably my wire would go missing. But my nic, I’m certain, would be fine in the freezer.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
I used to watch my parents smoke.... and dad would flick his ciggie into the yard and finally it got the best of me to try what dad was doing, I would go get the stubby and puff on it... what got me hooked tho was the "second hand smoke stuff", being around several adults smoking their butts off during the weekly card games... eventually dad caught me puffing on one and gave me the option to either eat a whole ciggie or smoke 3 in a row... I opted for smoking ... made me sicker than all getout... I avoided ciggies untill I was 16 or so...

if your kid gets too interested, let him "taste" several drops worth of your juice at one time... yup he will get nic sick and that willl leave a very long lasting negative impression.... at least for a few years ;)
nothing like throwing up your guts, sweating off your ...., and generally thinking your gonna die to make one consider what you just had is not all that good for you :)

but, I do have to admit, vaping is a better choice than the ciggies....

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
ohhh and there are things even worse, like an interest in chemistry ( like I had when I was 10) I found that if you mixed granulated pool chlorine with Pine Sol, you can poison the entire neighborhood with chlorine gas ( yup the green stuff)... I dumped 3 gallons of Pine Sol into a 50 lb container of pool chlorine... and it was AWESOME!!!! Huge white puffy clouds and chlorine gas flowing across the ground killing all the bugs and grass.... the fire department even showed up...

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I was 8yo when I stole my first smoke from my dad, unfortunately I loved it. Kids want to do what the adults do and will find a way if determined enough. If he has friends over I'd put it away in my bedroom which would be off limits to the kids. Other than that I'd just keep any juice not in use put up.

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
If my parents had any clue, while they were at work, what my friends and I were pulling the Summer of 81 they would have died. I don't know how I made it past 12 years old. It all came to a head when I jumped off the local water tower breaking my leg.

I jumped off with a small parachute my father had brought home the day before. He was in the Coast Guard and the parachute he gave me was used to drag flare beacons out of the back of the CG planes. It was probably big enough for GI Joe to land safely, me not so much.

If I was you I would lock everything up, and take every ladder and step stool to the dump.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
If my parents had any clue, while they were at work, what my friends and I were pulling the Summer of 81 they would have died. I don't know how I made it past 12 years old. It all came to a head when I jumped off the local water tower breaking my leg.

I jumped off with a small parachute my father had brought home the day before. He was in the Coast Guard and the parachute he gave me was used to drag flare beacons out of the back of the CG planes. It was probably big enough for GI Joe to land safely, me not so much.

If I was you I would lock everything up, and take every ladder and step stool to the dump.
They'd just hike to the dump.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
ohhh and there are things even worse, like an interest in chemistry ( like I had when I was 10) I found that if you mixed granulated pool chlorine with Pine Sol, you can poison the entire neighborhood with chlorine gas ( yup the green stuff)... I dumped 3 gallons of Pine Sol into a 50 lb container of pool chlorine... and it was AWESOME!!!! Huge white puffy clouds and chlorine gas flowing across the ground killing all the bugs and grass.... the fire department even showed up...
My dad’s childhood chemistry horror story was mixing up about 5lb of gunpowder and setting it off on a sea wall. The problem was it was Detroit so the river was between the US and Canada and it was constantly used by smugglers. Bomb scare in the paper, cops all over the place. He eventually became a research biologist.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I know Lots of people with Kids who have a Locking 2-Drawer Filing Cabinet in their house.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
There's no doubt if I had small kids at home I'd keep the stuff locked up and probably have only one mod out at a time. I am very grateful that's only a theoretical problem for me. Although one day there might be grandkids which means some sorta compromise over leaving stuff all over the place.

Major2829

Jun 12, 2018
South Florida
I keep my gun and a lock box and all my Vape stuff in my car. I have a 17-year-old daughter. A year and a half ago I began finding JUUL stuff in her room (I had already been using JUUL unbeknownst to her) before I found (no, it was not my stuff). Since I know what 17-year-olds do, and I also have a 21-year-old, nothing is safe in my room. They all snoop. So I decided the best place for me what is in my consul in my car.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread