Long time vapor but, need some noob advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
I started vaping in 2011. Most of you can't imagine how crappy the gear was back then. I was pretty active on here in those days. Anyway, I bought the latest thing for several years. I learned that for me that $200 mod or RBA didn't really vape any better than the Chinese clone that came out the next year for less than half the price. At least not enough better to be worth the price. Eventually I settled into a set of gear and juice and just quit looking.

First problem, I've been using a Nextgen clone for several years. I can't find them anymore. I can't believe it's gone and the AGA-T is still around. Is there anything like a Nextgen available anywhere?

I'm currently trying an Ulton Rook clone with a cotton wick. It's appears that silica wicks have gone by the wayside. That's a good thing. The clone is okay but, it has the same problems that atomizers like the AGA-T has. If you don't hold it right, it leaks when full.

I'm an MTL vaper and I'm looking for a 22mm RTA that doesn't leak. It needs to have at least 3ml capacity preferably more and if it's cotton wick, the cotton wick needs to be easy to change. I'm currently changing it daily in the Rook clone.

I've used different devices over the years on the bottom. Currently I'm using an Istick Pico. I run around .7 ohms resistance at around 12 watts though that varies. I'm a little leery of using mods with more than one battery. They used to overdrain one of the batts. Has that changed? Recommendations?

Lastly, fasttech has been my goto supplier for the last several years but, I suspect there are others in that vein. Any recommendations there?

If you got this far, thanks for reading my post any replies will be appreciated.

Reactions: bnrkwest

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    I stocked up ages ago. Not only is there a %65 'vape tax' in my state, as of the 1st of the year most vendors won't ship here. (but enough of that)

Personally I find the iStick Pico's good enough for what I need. Ether the 18650 one or 21700 model works well, single battery (will last a tank full) and even direct from Eleaf is < $40 USD. (they have newer updated USBC models now) If you want to get fancy, 'ArticFox' and other 3rd party firmware runs on it which makes it operate like a much more expensive 'DNA' mod.

As far as atomizers go if you do some searching of far east (China) vendors you can get Kayfun v5 clones. I picked up a bunch for $19 a copy. Easy to build on, juice&air control, top fill and does not leak. Sure, the 'minimum' air flow setting may not be restrictive enough for some MTL users. I use mine wide open on the highest airflow setting.

When it comes to wick, I gave up on cotton years ago. Do yourself a favor and google "sallys beauty supply" and pick up a $10 box of their rayon (I forget what they call it) and you'll have a multiple lifetime supply of wick.

Happy Vaping,

g.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    There's been a few top-air MTL RTAs released lately. If you want a leak-proof RTA, these will do it.

I've personally only tried the Oxva Arbiter Solo RTA:
    OXVA Arbiter Solo RTA Review
    And it has fantastic flavour, along with being easy to wick.

Another one is the Augvape Intake MTL RTA:
    INTAKE MTL RTA REVIEWED BY BIGBOB2322

Reactions: MickeyRat

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 4, 2011
    Hickory, NC
    Silica wick is still available at a decent price.
    Silica Wick - High Quality

Thanks for the reply. However, I never liked silica. The idea of inhaling glass fiber never appealed to me. Perhaps someone else can use that info though.

I stocked up ages ago. Not only is there a %65 'vape tax' in my state, as of the 1st of the year most vendors won't ship here. (but enough of that)

I tried to stock up years ago but, my stock ran out and I find I can't replace it.

Personally I find the iStick Pico's good enough for what I need. Ether the 18650 one or 21700 model works well, single battery (will last a tank full) and even direct from Eleaf is < $40 USD. (they have newer updated USBC models now) If you want to get fancy, 'ArticFox' and other 3rd party firmware runs on it which makes it operate like a much more expensive 'DNA' mod.

Thanks for letting me know about ArcticFox it looks interesting but, really the stock firmware works well enough for what I do. I'm not dissatisfied with the Istick Pico at all. It's just that single battery mods seem to be in the minority. Just wondering if the issues I saw with the multi-batts had been corrected.

As far as atomizers go if you do some searching of far east (China) vendors you can get Kayfun v5 clones. I picked up a bunch for $19 a copy. Easy to build on, juice&air control, top fill and does not leak. Sure, the 'minimum' air flow setting may not be restrictive enough for some MTL users. I use mine wide open on the highest airflow setting.

I actually have a couple Kayfun Prime clones on the way. That looks to be pretty similar to the V5. Feel free to comment, if you think that's not true. They were only $15.00.

When it comes to wick, I gave up on cotton years ago. Do yourself a favor and google "sallys beauty supply" and pick up a $10 box of their rayon (I forget what they call it) and you'll have a multiple lifetime supply of wick.

Thanks for the advice. I think I found what you're talking about. They call it CelluCotton. I have a ton of cotton. Please tell me what makes the Rayon better. Last longer? Better taste?

Edit: Never mind. I found the HUGE rayon thread. I'm surprised I missed it. I was on here when it started. I have a 40 foot box coming from Amazon. That should last me long enough to determine if I want to get the big box.

There's been a few top-air MTL RTAs released lately. If you want a leak-proof RTA, these will do it.

I've personally only tried the Oxva Arbiter Solo RTA:
    OXVA Arbiter Solo RTA Review
    And it has fantastic flavour, along with being easy to wick.

Another one is the Augvape Intake MTL RTA:
    INTAKE MTL RTA REVIEWED BY BIGBOB2322

Thanks, I found them. I'll see if I can get them. It seems like every time I order something from Fasttech lately there's a delay. I've actually ordered a few different atomizers to try to find something I like to stock up on. I decided it would be a better Idea to get on here and get some advice.

Last edited:
    Reactions: AngeNZ

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I actually have a couple Kayfun Prime clones on the way. That looks to be pretty similar to the V5. Feel free to comment, if you think that's not true. They were only $15.00.

I never owned a prime but from what I understand it is indeed very similar to the KF 5 but the prime is better for MTL because the KF 5 was designed for loose MTL and restricted DL. The Prime is more designed for MTL (from tight(er) to loose). Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    Thanks for letting me know about ArcticFox it looks interesting but, really the stock firmware works well enough for what I do. I'm not dissatisfied with the Istick Pico at all. It's just that single battery mods seem to be in the minority. Just wondering if the issues I saw with the multi-batts had been corrected.

It's true that single battery mods are in the minority - mostly because so many people vape at higher wattages now - but it's large and healthy minority. They're easy to find, and plenty of new versions are still being produced.

Dual battery mods are much better at balancing the change now, but given the way you vape if you're happy with a single battery mod I don't see any reason to switch.

I never owned a prime but from what I understand it is indeed very similar to the KF 5 but the prime is better for MTL because the KF 5 was designed for loose MTL and restricted DL. The Prime is more designed for MTL (from tight(er) to loose). Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

I've used both, and I'd say there are three differences. As you noted, the Prime's airflow is a bit tighter than the K5. Additionally, I find that the flavour on the Prime is stronger - its chamber is a bit smaller. Finally, the Prime has a smaller default capacity (2 ml), while the K5 is 5 ml. However, I use the extension kit with my Primes, bringing them up 5 ml. It's worth noting that the Prime with the extension uses the same tank glass as the K5, so if you're ever looking for a replacement the tank glasses are interchangeable.

Reactions: MickeyRat

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    While I have a dozen or more dual battery mods, I rarely use them - size/weight and I'll generally use USB charging. I do have dual 26650 mods that I regularly use - I take one with me on multi-day camping trips (without extra batteries) and they last the entire trip! :) (batteries have to be charged in external charger)

As you've likely read by now, rayon wicks better then cotton and does not degrade as fast. I used to be a big silica fan (and NO you can't actually inhale glass) but in tests it wicks the worse out of rayon/cotton/silica. (hence my switch from using it)

Frankly IDK what the 'majority' are doing. After smoking +40yrs I find that a well built single plain round wire coil that is properly wicked and primed (I only use temperature regulated) can cloud up my living room or car quick enough. I almost always use <= 30w. A single battery is plenty for me.

When I vape flavored, I use the army of squankers you see in my profile image. :)

Happy Vaping!

g.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread