Looking for a new box mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScootenNewton

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
Grand Junction, Colorado
Hey everyone!!! I took a huge break from life for awhile and now I'm back. I haven't been up to date with all the new mods and tech that has come out in the vape world for about a year, so I need some help. I really need a new mod. I went from using a vape pen, then to a regulated SVD, then to a Nemesis, then to a Magneto, then to a Mutant, then to a Raptor, and now to the current Box mod i have now, the tank Crossing. I made a huge mistake by purchasing this mod since it is all wood. My clumsy self should not buy anything wood. With that saying, I just broke it a couple of days ago and I am now in the market looking for a new mod. Now, here is the part where most people will look down to me. I need a clone. At this point in my life i cannot afford an authentic. No one wants to hear my life story (unless you do, ill tell you everything so you don't make the same mistakes). Anyways, i need an 18650 Series, unregulated box mod. I have looked at angelcigs but I'm not sure if any of those are decent. Like i said before, I haven't been up to date with mods nowadays. Give me some input people!!!! :D

ScootenNewton

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
Grand Junction, Colorado

I used to order from fasttech a couple years ago, I will not order from them anymore. I could order plane tickets, fly to Hong Kong with a layover in Los Angela's. Stay a couple of months to experience new customs. Fly back to America with another layover, and i would still beat my shipment.. Is the term SlowTech still a thing?

ScootenNewton

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
Grand Junction, Colorado
Price you pay for cheap.

Ordering from fasttech is not necessarily the price i pay, when i can choose not to go there when i can get the same mods at different sites that are in America. And, i was kinda looking for input on specific mods, not specific sites. I can easily look for the sites, which i have over the years. I need input on what people have used and their opinion. I have had authentic mods before, in fact, all but one were. So, as of right now, i need advice on clone mods that users have tried and liked.

Last edited:

ScootenNewton

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
Grand Junction, Colorado
Have you checked out the Noisy Cricket? Very good, very cheap.

Someone mentioned this in another thread and i briefly looked over it. When i actually get back to work (my job is out for the winter) i am going to look up and research the awesome feedback people have given me, and this, i will surely look more into it. Thank you for more feedback, it helps with my end decision!!

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Someone mentioned this in another thread and i briefly looked over it. When i actually get back to work (my job is out for the winter) i am going to look up and research the awesome feedback people have given me, and this, i will surely look more into it. Thank you for more feedback, it helps with my end decision!!
It is a series mod you will have to pretty much double the resistance values of your coils.

Ketsuban

Feb 20, 2014
Equestria
I'm going to use the LG HG2 18650 size battery - 3000mAh, 3.6 volts, 20amps for this example.

LG HG2 18650 3.6V 3000 mAh 20A Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery

I find parallel to be better, because if we have two of these batteries- we will still be at 3.6v for them, but we have 6000mAh to work with. So yes, we are working with less voltage at 3.6v, (NOT 7.2 like we would have in a series) but the more mAh, the longer the battery life. Because not as much voltage would be running through the device on a parallel, ultimately a parallel setup is going to be safer, even though it still is a risk. Not sure how familiar you are with Ohms law, but it's a great idea to get acquainted with it if you haven't yet, and maybe if you have a smartphone to download a free calculator.

If really feeling that voltage drop and risk is your thing, then by all means go unregulated. I only had one unregulated box- the Yep, and it was nice, but made of wood. I'd recommend it because it does feel quite sturdy for me, except for the fact that I had to make a ribbon out of duct tape for easy removal of the batteries.

Regulated boxes have gotten SO much better, and top recommendations of those are the Smok XCube II which can initially go up to 160w (200 if you upgrade the firmware free) and I've heard nothing but wonderful reviews on the Sigelei. (I know regulated is not what you are asking about, but I simply want to provide more information so you can consider all options.) These two mods allow for temperature control or wattage control so you can fine tune your vape, which is really cool if you like a variety of juices. Coffee and bakery flavours can taste better with hotter vapes at a higher wattage, but most fruity flavors taste better at a cool vape, lower wattage. These devices definitely support sub-ohm and also have safetys inside so it's much less dangerous. They also show you how much battery power you have left. The XCube is a Series mod but because it is regulated, it isn't nearly as dangerous, as is the Sigelei. Best thing is to go on youtube and listen to the reviews, because everyone's going to recommend different things and you have to find what works best for you :)

ScootenNewton

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
Grand Junction, Colorado
I'm going to use the LG HG2 18650 size battery - 3000mAh, 3.6 volts, 20amps for this example.

LG HG2 18650 3.6V 3000 mAh 20A Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery

I find parallel to be better, because if we have two of these batteries- we will still be at 3.6v for them, but we have 6000mAh to work with. So yes, we are working with less voltage at 3.6v, (NOT 7.2 like we would have in a series) but the more mAh, the longer the battery life. Because not as much voltage would be running through the device on a parallel, ultimately a parallel setup is going to be safer, even though it still is a risk. Not sure how familiar you are with Ohms law, but it's a great idea to get acquainted with it if you haven't yet, and maybe if you have a smartphone to download a free calculator.

If really feeling that voltage drop and risk is your thing, then by all means go unregulated. I only had one unregulated box- the Yep, and it was nice, but made of wood. I'd recommend it because it does feel quite sturdy for me, except for the fact that I had to make a ribbon out of duct tape for easy removal of the batteries.

Regulated boxes have gotten SO much better, and top recommendations of those are the Smok XCube II which can initially go up to 160w (200 if you upgrade the firmware free) and I've heard nothing but wonderful reviews on the Sigelei. (I know regulated is not what you are asking about, but I simply want to provide more information so you can consider all options.) These two mods allow for temperature control or wattage control so you can fine tune your vape, which is really cool if you like a variety of juices. Coffee and bakery flavours can taste better with hotter vapes at a higher wattage, but most fruity flavors taste better at a cool vape, lower wattage. These devices definitely support sub-ohm and also have safetys inside so it's much less dangerous. They also show you how much battery power you have left. The XCube is a Series mod but because it is regulated, it isn't nearly as dangerous, as is the Sigelei. Best thing is to go on youtube and listen to the reviews, because everyone's going to recommend different things and you have to find what works best for you :)

I had a VV/VW a couple years ago and hated it. I found myself messing with it to get to where i liked it more than actually using the dang thing. But, like you said, things have come a long way. And honestly, i have thought about getting a regulated. I need a real cheap clone right now since my main broke and i can;t work in the winter with my job. I'll probably just end up buying the hollowpoint off of angelcigs for now. But regulated crosses my mind almost on a daily basis (for the near future).
At the local shop, the owner has an authentic lucipher that was made into series. I put the same build that i had on mine (dual coil,6 wraps 22g on parallel) on hers (series), and it RIIIPED. Over the years i have built MANY different types of coils. My favorite was the dual 24g wrapped with 32 made into stove tops. I put a bed of cotton underneath, my god was that a good build. But, I'm past making sick coils. I'm to the point where if i need to change my coils i just build either 4 wraps of 22g or 24g (mostly 24g, 22g takes too long to heat up and is very hot) because its simple, quick and it gets the job done. Now, when i put these builds on a series mod, its like a day and night difference. Eventually, when i have more money, i would like to get a regulated mod and also a mod that can switch between parallel and series.

Last edited:

ScootenNewton

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
Grand Junction, Colorado
A
Have you checked out the Noisy Cricket? Very good, very cheap.

Alright, well i did some research and looked at other peoples reviews and all the hype about this mod, and i gotta say, its a pretty good simple mod. I haven't heard any bad reviews and it is cheap. I just might actually have to take a look at it myself. Do you have any experience with it?

ScootenNewton

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
Grand Junction, Colorado
No, but I have been having inappropriate dreams about it's sleek curves.
All reviews I have seen about it are positive though. It seems very compact, most dual cell series boxes are the size of house bricks.
lol, i might give it a try. Are you thinking about getting one? trying it out?

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I used to order from fasttech a couple years ago, I will not order from them anymore. I could order plane tickets, fly to Hong Kong with a layover in Los Angela's. Stay a couple of months to experience new customs. Fly back to America with another layover, and i would still beat my shipment.. Is the term SlowTech still a thing?

I've ordered probably 100 times from Fasttech.
If the items you order are listed as "in stock" or "ships next day" and your order is over $20, it takes about 9 days from China to Southern California with the free shipping option.

Fastech ships on time, and emails you a picture of the package and shipping label, with tracking.

For a store halfway around the globe, that sells gear for 1/5 the price of a us store that's pretty damn good.

They also have a better return policy than most authentic modders.

Reactions: KenD

ScootenNewton

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
Grand Junction, Colorado
Well, everyone, I didn't get a mod i was planning on getting. Since my job has no work in the winter time, my buddy felt bad and bought me a mod. I never thought i would go back to regulated, but honestly, i love it!!! A TESLA!!!!!
CYY1OyhUkAE4Czt.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread