Looking For a New Box Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScootenNewton

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
Grand Junction, Colorado
(I posted this in "Where can i get a..." as well, wasn't really sure where to post this)
Hey everyone!!! I took a huge break from life for awhile and now I'm back. I haven't been up to date with all the new mods and tech that has come out in the vape world for about a year, so I need some help. I really need a new mod. I went from using a vape pen, then to a regulated SVD, then to a Nemesis, then to a Magneto, then to a Mutant, then to a Raptor, and now to the current Box mod i have now, the tank Crossing. I made a huge mistake by purchasing this mod since it is all wood. My clumsy self should not buy anything wood. With that saying, I just broke it a couple of days ago and I am now in the market looking for a new mod. Now, here is the part where most people will look down to me. I need a clone. At this point in my life i cannot afford an authentic. No one wants to hear my life story (unless you do, ill tell you everything so you don't make the same mistakes). Anyways, i need an 18650 Series, unregulated box mod. I have looked at angelcigs but I'm not sure if any of those are decent. Like i said before, I haven't been up to date with mods nowadays. Give me some input people!!!! :D

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
why are you ashamed at the fact that you want a clone? lol... things have changed a LOT over the last year, and, a lot more people have come to vaping... as a result, those new vapers whom were never really aware of the clone wars in the 1st place, well, they have no shame buying clones. In fact, it is above their heads when you try to tell them that what they are vaping IS a clone, ahaha...

don't worry about your financial situation, bro.. I can't even afford CLONES, let-alone authentic mods. lol. so, you have nothing to worry about. NOW THEN- why is it that you want a BOX mod, specifically, rather-than a regular old mechanical tube mod? I nice shiny-shiny? No? you MUST have a box-mod, eh?
whaaaateverrrrrrr... :p Cant keep a rabbit on the bull's back, as I always say.

OKAY THEN- Let's see here... The top box-mods of 2015 were aplenty. Are you SURE you want the battery configuration to be in series, rather than parallel?? I know that I would rather have series... But, if you MUST have parallel, I got chuuu... Have you checked all of the popular websites? Can u wait 4 S&H? Or do you need this new mod ASAP? If-so, grab a clone from US hands.

IF you can wait for S&H and you've got something to use in the mean time, until you receive the mod, then I would highly suggest you go ahead and order from China, as, just-like 1 year ago, China websites STILL have the BEST prices on all clones & authentic mods. Fasttech, AngelEcigs, & Focaleecig R tops, on my list of some of the CHEAPEST websites for obtaining that new shiny, or box-mod, or reg-mod. ;)

Uhhhh, err.. What are you looking for, other than series battery capability? (still dunno why you'd want series battery capability, but...) Is there anything you'd like aesthetically, more than a plain box? Would you prefer a type of material, over another type? For instance, do you like color, or is it black/white only for MR. Scooten? Hm? & then- Would you be OKAY with a PLASTIC mod, or, would you rather the mod be made of tough metal(s)? Are you against aluminum mods, & only go for Stainless-Steel? OR, are you perfectly OKAY with Aluminum mods, and, against heavy SS mods? :p

Here's the Deal: Ya got a couple really nice options for box-mod clones in today's current marketplace. HOWEVER, I am NOT experienced with finding SERIES box mods for people, as, I've never really looked-into SERIES-style box mods for myself, personally... SO, that may be a tall order for me.

1. I believe there IS a SERIES STYLE Cherrybomber clone... Maybe even on Fasttech?
2. Fasttech (and most websites, china and contiguous) have the Cherrybomber in x1 + x2 18650.
3. ECBM (east coast box mods) has their GENUINE box-mod for just $75, if that's not exp 4 ya!!
4. Angelcigs DOES have the SERIES Cherrybomber clone for 40 bucks, bro... WITH Volt-screen ;)
5. FT has the Castiogador, which is my personal FAVORITE x2 battery box-mod in Blk, Blu, & Grn!
6. I mean, FT has x2 18650 box-mods as-low-as $20, bro. Sum look less quality than others, but.... If I were YOU, and you don't love the idea of buyin a rip-off of a designers design, then you should go-ahead n' order yourself a hammond box-mod. IDK if yer familiar w/the Hammond box-mods, yet? Basically, you can order "HAMMOND" boxes, and make a mod out of them. Now, that sounds nice for individuals, but guess what? Some of the... (MOST) most POPULAR authentic box mods of 2015, are made FROM the Hammond boxes... The creators modded the hammond boxes & made them better. BUT- & this is where it gets neat- China has come-out with their very own hammond box-mods, with original designs, and for UNDER 30-40 bucks. (and, some more MORE than 30-40 bucks, lol) So, you've got PLENTY of Hammond box mod options on most websites... FT has clear hammond box-mods for around 30 bucks, so does angelcigs and focal. I highly recommend a hammond, for new vapers.

There ya go, that's my personal advice to you, and I'm stickin' to it! ;)
Remember your golden rules: Treat others as you'd like 2b treated, & have backups 4ur backups!
& NEVER forget.. the PLUMES motto: ENJOY your vape journey, WELL into your vape-future! :)

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
I have seen a ton of reviews for the "Noisy Cricket" box mod, and, I have-to say, it's probably my favorite box mod of 2015, next-to the Castiogador, which is a personal favorite design of mine as-well. Either would be great mods to re-fire that vape-journey of yours... The Noisy Cricket is a truly awesome mod, for a truly awesome price-tag. I definitely recommend either, or, you can always pick-up both! ;)

Reactions: ScootenNewton

ScootenNewton

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
Grand Junction, Colorado
why are you ashamed at the fact that you want a clone? lol... things have changed a LOT over the last year, and, a lot more people have come to vaping... as a result, those new vapers whom were never really aware of the clone wars in the 1st place, well, they have no shame buying clones. In fact, it is above their heads when you try to tell them that what they are vaping IS a clone, ahaha...

don't worry about your financial situation, bro.. I can't even afford CLONES, let-alone authentic mods. lol. so, you have nothing to worry about. NOW THEN- why is it that you want a BOX mod, specifically, rather-than a regular old mechanical tube mod? I nice shiny-shiny? No? you MUST have a box-mod, eh?
whaaaateverrrrrrr... :p Cant keep a rabbit on the bull's back, as I always say.

OKAY THEN- Let's see here... The top box-mods of 2015 were aplenty. Are you SURE you want the battery configuration to be in series, rather than parallel?? I know that I would rather have series... But, if you MUST have parallel, I got chuuu... Have you checked all of the popular websites? Can u wait 4 S&H? Or do you need this new mod ASAP? If-so, grab a clone from US hands.

IF you can wait for S&H and you've got something to use in the mean time, until you receive the mod, then I would highly suggest you go ahead and order from China, as, just-like 1 year ago, China websites STILL have the BEST prices on all clones & authentic mods. Fasttech, AngelEcigs, & Focaleecig R tops, on my list of some of the CHEAPEST websites for obtaining that new shiny, or box-mod, or reg-mod. ;)

Uhhhh, err.. What are you looking for, other than series battery capability? (still dunno why you'd want series battery capability, but...) Is there anything you'd like aesthetically, more than a plain box? Would you prefer a type of material, over another type? For instance, do you like color, or is it black/white only for MR. Scooten? Hm? & then- Would you be OKAY with a PLASTIC mod, or, would you rather the mod be made of tough metal(s)? Are you against aluminum mods, & only go for Stainless-Steel? OR, are you perfectly OKAY with Aluminum mods, and, against heavy SS mods? :p

Here's the Deal: Ya got a couple really nice options for box-mod clones in today's current marketplace. HOWEVER, I am NOT experienced with finding SERIES box mods for people, as, I've never really looked-into SERIES-style box mods for myself, personally... SO, that may be a tall order for me.

1. I believe there IS a SERIES STYLE Cherrybomber clone... Maybe even on Fasttech?
2. Fasttech (and most websites, china and contiguous) have the Cherrybomber in x1 + x2 18650.
3. ECBM (east coast box mods) has their GENUINE box-mod for just $75, if that's not exp 4 ya!!
4. Angelcigs DOES have the SERIES Cherrybomber clone for 40 bucks, bro... WITH Volt-screen ;)
5. FT has the Castiogador, which is my personal FAVORITE x2 battery box-mod in Blk, Blu, & Grn!
6. I mean, FT has x2 18650 box-mods as-low-as $20, bro. Sum look less quality than others, but.... If I were YOU, and you don't love the idea of buyin a rip-off of a designers design, then you should go-ahead n' order yourself a hammond box-mod. IDK if yer familiar w/the Hammond box-mods, yet? Basically, you can order "HAMMOND" boxes, and make a mod out of them. Now, that sounds nice for individuals, but guess what? Some of the... (MOST) most POPULAR authentic box mods of 2015, are made FROM the Hammond boxes... The creators modded the hammond boxes & made them better. BUT- & this is where it gets neat- China has come-out with their very own hammond box-mods, with original designs, and for UNDER 30-40 bucks. (and, some more MORE than 30-40 bucks, lol) So, you've got PLENTY of Hammond box mod options on most websites... FT has clear hammond box-mods for around 30 bucks, so does angelcigs and focal. I highly recommend a hammond, for new vapers.

There ya go, that's my personal advice to you, and I'm stickin' to it! ;)
Remember your golden rules: Treat others as you'd like 2b treated, & have backups 4ur backups!
& NEVER forget.. the PLUMES motto: ENJOY your vape journey, WELL into your vape-future! :)

WOW!!! Thanks for all of the information, i will have to thoroughly go through this list and research. Some people really (or used to) take buying a clone very serious and make you feel like an outcast.
I really like black and red. (I live in Colorado but most, if not all of my family live in Nebrasksa. GO BIG RED!!!) Any type of material is fine with me unless it is wood. But honestly, color and appearance doesn't really matter. Well, i guess it does to an extent, who am i kidding, I'm not gonna buy a baby blue '56 Chevy Nomad if it's the same price of a candy red or glossy black Nomad. Feel my drift? I have not heard of the hammond mods and i will look into them, they sound very intriguing.
I used to order from fasttech years ago and i will not order from them again. They just take too long, unless things have changed? And anyways, most items that they sell you can get online from a store in America.
Now on the series or parallel question: In parallel. the total voltage remains that of a single battery, however the battery life of each is increased. In circuit it creates an electronic current through each battery consecutively which means you are combining the voltage of each battery. So 4.2v plus 4.2 volts is 8.4 volts. In this case, it means that you are able to throw some killer builds on. Some people say that it is more dangerous. Like the cause of formaldehyde at higher temps and well the current you will be pushing on certain builds (this is a very gray area. I know nothing about this, it's just something that is out there).BUUUT, it does not HAVE to be in series, i would just prefer series over parallel.
I haven't stopped vaping for that year, i just hid away in a hole away from the rest of the world. So i know my builds and safety measures blah blah blah... But on a serious note, thank you for this information. I'm glad the community still have people like you. I missed the fam, but im back!!!

ScootenNewton

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
Grand Junction, Colorado
A couple of other suggestions: Noisy Cricket. Under $25 if you look around. Or a BC Box Mods series box with or without LCD voltmeter for $70 to $80 with a lifetime warranty.
Thats not too bad, I'll just have to save up a little more to be able to afford that. But if it's as good as you and some other people have said, i think it might be worth it. Thanks for the reply!!!

ScootenNewton

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
Grand Junction, Colorado
I have seen a ton of reviews for the "Noisy Cricket" box mod, and, I have-to say, it's probably my favorite box mod of 2015, next-to the Castiogador, which is a personal favorite design of mine as-well. Either would be great mods to re-fire that vape-journey of yours... The Noisy Cricket is a truly awesome mod, for a truly awesome price-tag. I definitely recommend either, or, you can always pick-up both! ;)
I looked into the cricket for a brief moment, i will do some more research, but what i found isn't bad at all. As for the Castiogador, i have yet to look up. Which i will. Just the name sounds fun. I'm glad you backed up the cricket, that helps quite a bit. Thank you!!

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
It was my understanding that in series, the battery-life does-NOT increase, but the voltage DOES. It was my understanding that the appeal of parallel configuration is longer battery life, the appeal of series configuration is the benefit of doubling the voltage... I am not certain, but I think a series configured box-mod has the same (or similar) battery life, as that of a single 18650 battery.

ScootenNewton

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
Grand Junction, Colorado
It was my understanding that in series, the battery-life does-NOT increase, but the voltage DOES. It was my understanding that the appeal of parallel configuration is longer battery life, the appeal of series configuration is the benefit of doubling the voltage... I am not certain, but I think a series configured box-mod has the same (or similar) battery life, as that of a single 18650 battery.
Correct. Did i get it mixed up? Or are you just confirming?

ScootenNewton

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
Grand Junction, Colorado
Oh, and yes, i currently have a box mod. The Tank Crossing. I broke it but i don't need anything RIGHT away. It still works but the grooves that hold my door on broke off. It is held by a magnet so it jiggles a lot but it doesn't really come off
CX8RPf_UMAEpyeN.jpg

ScootenNewton

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
Grand Junction, Colorado
Here's a better picture of the pieces that broke off
CX8SSwoVAAE_8YM.jpg

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
I'm not sure & don't care to go back to check lol.

The Tank Crossing is an interesting/awesome mod! I would recommend you do some fix-it work. Maybe figure-out a way to fashion some new grooves, and glue them into place? could get tricky, considering if they are clamped in place in the wrong spot, the door won't slide-in at all, huh? could be a fun project to tackle, though. I'd probably do whatever I could to fix it, if it were mine. could be fun, right? Maybe you could simply just buy more magnets and inlay them into the wood in all directions, making it more secure? IDK! Really great mod, though. I see it's gotten some USE! haha. love the patina man.

coilburner

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2015
the way you described the two to work are correct however its my understanding that theres another factor with series batteries. that is that the power is being drawn from each battery equally. so if you have 40 watts each battery is only being asked to give 20 watts. I believe with parallel batteries each battery is being asked to give 40 watts. But maybe that last part insnt correct. hopefully someone smarter will chime in

Reactions: ScootenNewton

ScootenNewton

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
Grand Junction, Colorado
the way you described the two to work are correct however its my understanding that theres another factor with series batteries. that is that the power is being drawn from each battery equally. so if you have 40 watts each battery is only being asked to give 20 watts. I believe with parallel batteries each battery is being asked to give 40 watts. But maybe that last part insnt correct. hopefully someone smarter will chime in

2 x 4.2v 1000mAh cells in series will give you 8.2v and 1000mAh
2 x 4.2v 1000mAh cells in parallel will give you 4.2v and 2000mAh

One of the problems with series is that the battery in the "front" will take most of the hit of the current

Reactions: Plumes.91

entropy1049

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Apalachicola, FL, United States
Well, I can't sleep anyway, here we go:

A dual series mod will us the combined voltage of the batteries and produce a sum total. Example, you have a dual series box with two 18650's. At 4.2 vDC each, the voltage provided to the atomizer will be 8.4 vDC (minus the internal battery resistances and the mod resistance, this is the voltage drop). In a series configuration, you do not double the current your batteries can safely drain. You may only drain the circuit at a single battery's safe continuous drainage rating (CDR) quantified in amps. Let's say you're using Sony VTC5's. If you'd like to know the lowest resistance you can safely build with the batteries you have in hand, check Mooch's table for the safe CDR of that battery. Use this link: 18650 Safety Grades -- Picking a Safe Battery to Vape With | E-Cigarette Forum
When we check Mooch's table, we see the VTC5 is rated safe at 20 amps. Using Ohm's Law, we determine that with 8.4v DC, to pull not more than 20 amps of current through our circuit, we must ensure our resistance stays above 0.42 ohm. If you don't have the means to measure resistance to a one hundredth of an ohm, round up to 0.5 ohm. The advantage of this circuit, is that we don't have to build at as low of a resistance as we would with a single cell or a dual parallel circuit to get more power (watts) from our build, in this case 168 watts. When you start to drop below one ohm, power climbs very quickly.

A dual parallel mod will use the voltage provided by each battery "independently", and as a result, the voltage of the circuit will remain the voltage each of our cells are rated at separately of each other, in our case, 4.2 vDC (minus the internal battery resistances and the mod resistance, again, the voltage drop). The cool thing is that in this case, though we're vaping at a lower voltage, we double the current carrying capability of our circuit, and also the milliamp hour rating. Now we can consider our two 20 amp batts to be safe in a parallel circuit configuration to 40 amps, and our cells will last about twice as long as would a single cell or dual series configuration. When we plug and chug our two known quantities (4.2 vDC and 40 amps current) we discover that we can build down to 0.11 ohm producing coincidentally, 168 watts.

Note that the same power is produced in either configuration.

Don't like to calculate Ohm's Law longhand or in your head? Here's the awesome steam-engine.org Ohm's Law calculator: Ohm's law | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators Note that you can lock in values for our calculations, for vape peeps, typically voltage and current in order to determine resistance.

So in a nut shell, the question to ask regarding series vs. parallel configurations is: do I want the long battery life of the parallel config, or do I not want to have to build my atty at significantly lower resistances that approach short-circuit so I use a series config to obtain the same power? Me personally? I much prefer the added battery life from the dual parallel battery configuration.

In either system, when using any more than one single cell, we must marry our batteries. Ensure the ones you're using are legit quality cells (again, see Mooch's table). Never use E-Fest. They grossly over-rate their batteries and are not very nice people in general.

I would also add that it's 3:49 AM my time. If this turns out to be insomnia fueled rambling tomorrow morning, I reserve the right to change any or all of the post if it turns out to be just stupid :).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread