Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I find the types of coils I am using at the moment very much prefer multiple coils for DL. As I currently own only a single coil squonkable RDA (a pulse specifically) I find myself in the market for a multi coil RDA option.

Option 1: a BF pin for older RDAs I currently own.

I’ve got a couple of older RDAs. A derringer, a couple of velocities, a magma, a dark horse, and maybe one or two others. None of them have squonk pins though and I don’t know where I would find any that would fit. They are all 22mm or smaller though which makes them perhaps not a terribly good fit for my purpose. Still, it would be nice to find a use for the old codgers. Particularly the magma and the velocities.

Option 2: a new RDA.

I’m looking for a larger interior volume multi coil RDA (the coils I am using are beyond standard diameter and need room). I am also using high gauge single wire coils. The thinnest stuff I can use and the largest diameter I can make without having the coil collapse. The bigger squonk RDAs I am finding are all designed to take exotic coils and have trouble biting on thin wire. Im also near my monthly budget limit for vape purchases so the really expensive attys are out. A good clone of one might work though. I like stainless and don’t like gold plating, paint, or plastic for both safety and durability reasons.

To reiterate:
-Larger RDA. Anything that will fit on a drone 250c is fine.
-connectors will accept small thin single wires as well as larger ones.
-Multiple large diameter coil capable. Dual coil a minimum. More wouldn’t hurt.
-not too far out there price wise.

Any suggestions welcome :)

Reactions: stols001

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
While I preferred my 6 OG Psyclone Mods Krytens ($80) I have over them ... +1 for the Goon 1.5 24mm RDA's. I have 7 or 8 1.5's and a Goon LP (that I also used much of the time before I switched to mesh RDA's). Most of my 1.5's are OG ($60, plus extra cost for a squonk pin.... $75 for the LP+). But squonk ready clone Goon 1.5's are very cheap on Ebay ($14-$18) and come in an array of colors/finishes.

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Take a look at the TM24 PRO. You can pick up a clone for around $10. I think taht might suit your needs. I'm not a fan of clamp style decks for smaller guage coils. I also like the Apocalypse much better than any of the Goons.
Heh. That’s probably what I can squeeze out this month. I’ve already gone to my max vape budget for the month. The shineyitis is creeping but I’m fighting it.

Coolsiggy

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
Cake and eat it too maybe? I saw this non-English UT of a dual coil on a Profile RDA,
The Profile is pricey but it will clamp the fine wire and nice wicking. I guess you would need a big deck BF. Most center post decks place the coils close to the cover/tank...shorts? The Profile would let you play with mesh...shineyitis fever?....Maybe your mind has created a shineyitis barrier. Big coils and fine wire sounds like a wicking nightmare.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Cake and eat it too maybe? I saw this non-English UT of a dual coil on a Profile RDA,
The Profile is pricey but it will clamp the fine wire and nice wicking. I guess you would need a big deck BF. Most center post decks place the coils close to the cover/tank...shorts? The Profile would let you play with mesh...shineyitis fever?....Maybe your mind has created a shineyitis barrier. Big coils and fine wire sounds like a wicking nightmare.

It kind of is. I bumped up the wire size to 28ga. Better but still not great. Biggest problem is I want spaced coils too and it makes the coils very very ugly. I tried wrapping in a large bolt thread, but it doesn’t work that well. Best idea recently has been to use a little tiny atty instead. I’m quite likening the magma with BF pin. Very small hemispherical chamber, lots of metal for a heat sink. Not very much air. Cloud level is MUCH smaller, but still dense and flavorful. The magma is an old design though and has old design problems. A lot of people hated it even when it was new.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Just for info, why the large wire gauge... why not smaller gauge and larger diameter coil and say 10 wraps?
Thermal efficiency. The way the theory goes thinner the wire the higher the surface area to mass ratio, so large coils with lots of turns and thin wire

As to the wrap number ohms was getting to high for my VV mod to handle. I had to go dual coil to drop them down again. Max for the VV mods I have seems to be 2ohms in practice. Not sure what the device literature says, I never bothered to look. I need working answers not technical ones. So I got 2 3.xohm coils coming in together at a bit above 1.8ohm. Large diameter wrap makes for fewer coil wraps so they fit within the maximum useful coil length allowance of the atty. large diameter narrow gauge coils are annoyingly fragile though. So I tried making everything smaller. Hence the magma.

Last edited:

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
Thermal efficiency. The way the theory goes thinner the wire the higher the surface area to mass ratio, so large coils with lots of turns and thin wire

As to the wrap number ohms was getting to high for my VV mod to handle. I had to go dual coil to drop them down again. Max for the VV mods I have seems to be 2ohms in practice. Not sure what the device literature says, I never bothered to look. I need working answers not technical ones. So I got 2 3.xohm coils coming in together at a bit above 1.8ohm. Large diameter wrap makes for fewer coil wraps so they fit within the maximum useful coil length allowance of the atty. large diameter narrow gauge coils are annoyingly fragile though. So I tried making everything smaller. Hence the magma.

I am having trouble understanding exactly what you are trying to achieve. I do understand what you are doing, but isn't it a much hotter vape with the thinner wire? If it's a DL atty can you push that much power to a thinner wire build without torching the cotton? I am not debating you, but really curious due to my own ignorance.

I know your previous experiment thread with coil builds got me thinking. I went out of my comfort zone and tried some exotic builds with great results.

Is there a reason you are staying away from thicker gauge wire?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I am having trouble understanding exactly what you are trying to achieve. I do understand what you are doing, but isn't it a much hotter vape with the thinner wire? If it's a DL atty can you push that much power to a thinner wire build without torching the cotton? I am not debating you, but really curious due to my own ignorance.

I know your previous experiment thread with coil builds got me thinking. I went out of my comfort zone and tried some exotic builds with great results.

Is there a reason you are staying away from thicker gauge wire?
Thinner wire has less total surface area per inch, but because it’s smaller it’s surface area in relation to its mass is much larger. The idea is to use low mass high surface area coils to get more hot juice and less hot air per amount of battery life. The things vape like mesh coils so I suspect mesh is going to be a better way of doing it. Mesh has very high wattage requirements and these don’t though. Not sure why. The other thing is Wire is just wire so it’s cheap and buyable in bulk. Mesh seems to be a purpose built from the factory item. I don’t have a mesh coil rba to mess with yet though so for me it’s all conjecture. Got one coming in the mail though so perhaps some of this stuff will get answered with more shurity.

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
I don’t have a mesh coil rba to mess with yet though so for me it’s all conjecture. Got one coming in the mail though so perhaps some of this stuff will get answered with more shurity.

I don't know if this helps any, but I noticed Lightning Vapes had rolls of mesh for sale. I tried thinner wire myself in one of my DL atties before and it just didn't work. I did use a much smaller diameter though, 2.5mm. My thought process when I tried it was for more flavor. I didn't take into account that more airflow kind made it a losing battle on that type of coil.

You also have to factor in that I pretty much don't know what I am talking about so contributing the Lightning Vapes info is a pretty big deal for me.

I hope this helps.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Skeebo I believe that staying away from thicker wire is to reduce mass and therefore heat capacity, and also increase efficiency.

Because with more mass it requires more time and energy to reach temperature, and it also requires a longer time to cool down.

That's my 101 understanding.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I don't know if this helps any, but I noticed Lightning Vapes had rolls of mesh for sale. I tried thinner wire myself in one of my DL atties before and it just didn't work. I did use a much smaller diameter though, 2.5mm. My thought process when I tried it was for more flavor. I didn't take into account that more airflow kind made it a losing battle on that type of coil.

You also have to factor in that I pretty much don't know what I am talking about so contributing the Lightning Vapes info is a pretty big deal for me.

I hope this helps.
Yeah, the thin wire ghetto radiator coils I was making were gigantic. 5+mm. Terribly fragile. The only way to get enough surface area was to use a lot of wire and the only way to fit enough wire between the contacts was to use either use large diameter coils, or do heavily parallel coils, which makes the build harder again and turns it into a regular ol radiator. A wire even stiffer than stainless might work too, but the only one I know of is maybe(?) titanium, and not only did I not have any titanium I didn’t want to mess with it. Titanium might be stiffer than steel, but I don’t know enough about metallurgy, and ordering some titanium and finding out it’s even worse than stainless seemed like a waste to me. I tried squares sectional stainless for more surface area in relation to mass but that stuff turns out to be a gigantic mess to try and wrap. So I ordered a profile RDA.

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
I wish the 454 bigblock had a squonk pin, that would be some real fun :p
don't know personally, just searching but they say they do dual coils
Armor RDA
Cthulhu Azathoth RDA
Innokin Thermo RDA
Boru Vape Banshee RDA
Smokjoy Pyramid BF RDA
Vandy Vape Bonza BF RDA
Vandy Vape Bonza V1.5 RDA
DigiFlavor Drop BF RDA
Hellvape Dead Rabbit RDA
Vandy Vape Mesh RDA

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Armor RDA
Cthulhu Azathoth RDA
Innokin Thermo RDA
Boru Vape Banshee RDA
Smokjoy Pyramid BF RDA
Vandy Vape Bonza BF RDA
DigiFlavor Drop BF RDA
Hellvape Dead Rabbit RDA
Vandy Vape Mesh RDA
Might be able to do a conversion. It worked on my magma. Might work on my derringer too but I can’t get a decent grip on the center pin

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON

The resistance ceiling, that I have noted, for many devices is around 3 to 5 ohms. But that does not mean you can operate them with that resistance for any prescribed wattage level for you could reach your voltage limitations of the device. On a regulated device Voltage = √Power X Resistance. So 2ohms at 30 watts, as an example, would require 7.75 volts. That’s pretty high and willing to bet that is reaching, if not exceeding the voltage ceiling of a number of dual cell devices. And keep in mind just because the specs may state 8+ volts, that does not mean that is what you’ll get at the coil.

You say your using a dual parallel at 1.8ohms. What wattage are you set at? 30 watts would equal 7.35 volts – and again reaching the voltage ceiling of many dual cell devices. Have a look at DJLsb’s objective measurements, you will see a lot of devices struggle to reach high(ish) wattages with high resistance coils simply because they cannot produce the required voltage.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
The resistance ceiling, that I have noted, for many devices is around 3 to 5 ohms. But that does not mean you can operate them with that resistance for any prescribed wattage level for you could reach your voltage limitations of the device. On a regulated device Voltage = √Power X Resistance. So 2ohms at 30 watts, as an example, would require 7.75 volts. That’s pretty high and willing to bet that is reaching, if not exceeding the voltage ceiling of a number of dual cell devices. And keep in mind just because the specs may state 8+ volts, that does not mean that is what you’ll get at the coil.

You say your using a dual parallel at 1.8ohms. What wattage are you set at? 30 watts would equal 7.35 volts – and again reaching the voltage ceiling of many dual cell devices. Have a look at DJLsb’s objective measurements, you will see a lot of devices struggle to reach high(ish) wattages with high resistance coils simply because they cannot produce the required voltage.
Running on an ageis legend which has a pretty high limit. 12v someone said at one point. Not sure how true that is though.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Armor RDA
Cthulhu Azathoth RDA
Innokin Thermo RDA
Boru Vape Banshee RDA
Smokjoy Pyramid BF RDA
Vandy Vape Bonza BF RDA
DigiFlavor Drop BF RDA
Hellvape Dead Rabbit RDA
Vandy Vape Mesh RDA
Just looked at the big block. 4 short coils might do it. Not sure how big those air holes are though and I’m not looking forward to that milled on metal drip tip heating up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread