Vandy Vape Mesh RDA
Found one for $5 on clearance. $9 with shipping. Damnyou shineyitis

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
101 has the Authentic 454 for $5, it's a very dated RDA.
Yep. That’s where I bought it. Center post. Gonna be a :censored: to turn into a squonker. Luckily my interest in exotic coils is near zero at this point. The whole idea is not very large straight wire. Put in a standard squonk pin and the juice would come out the positive coil openings. Not the worst thing come to think of it. Maybe I’ll try it.

Last edited:
Reactions: TrollDragon

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Yep. That’s where I bought it. Center post. Gonna be a :censored: to turn into a squonker. Luckily my interest in exotic coils is near zero at this point. The whole idea is not very large straight wire. Put in a standard squonk pin and the juice would come out the positive coil openings. Not the worst thing come to think of it. Maybe I’ll try it.
I've drilled out a few center posts before to convert RDAs to bottom feed. Used a Dremel drill press stand and a small vise. ;)

Coolsiggy

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
Thinner wire has less total surface area per inch, but because it’s smaller it’s surface area in relation to its mass is much larger. The idea is to use low mass high surface area coils to get more hot juice and less hot air per amount of battery life. The things vape like mesh coils so I suspect mesh is going to be a better way of doing it. Mesh has very high wattage requirements and these don’t though. Not sure why. The other thing is Wire is just wire so it’s cheap and buyable in bulk. Mesh seems to be a purpose built from the factory item. I don’t have a mesh coil rba to mess with yet though so for me it’s all conjecture. Got one coming in the mail though so perhaps some of this stuff will get answered with more shurity.

High coil resistance = better battery life, high surface area with heat = better flavor. Sounds good and is good and it's looking like a mesh coil correctly implemented may be the best way. Trouble with wire is the bulk need to get a large area at a low resistance is ever finer wire,. I seen where Oen on UT will hammer his wire flat to achieve this result.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I've drilled out a few center posts before to convert RDAs to bottom feed. Used a Dremel drill press stand and a small vise. ;)
I got a conversion “kit” from somewhere recently, which seemed to be mostly a small collection of various hollow positive pins and some little teeny o-rings. Was enough to do my magma. We’ll see what it’s got in it when the 454 shows up.

• Winner

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
There is a Squonky Kong RDA on eBay, it's 30mm diameter with a triple coil deck. Would fit the Drone quite nicely, I have no idea how it vapes but there are a few reviews.
Authentic Stainless Steel Squonkey Kong RDA original design 30mm Drip/Squonk RDA | eBay
Squonkey Kong seems to be basically the same design as the 454, just with bigger coil holes, more metal and fewer coils. Plus it’s out of budget. Even the 454 was out of budget. Second month in a row I’ve blown my vaping budget now :/

• Optimistic

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
upload_2019-4-6_7-17-51.jpg
Ugh. 454 looks from this pic to have a press fit threaded copper center post that goes all the way up. May need a drill press after all, as well as a tiny tiny drill bit. I may be SOL for squonking this one. See what happens anyway. It’s too late now.

Reactions: Shadav

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
High coil resistance = better battery life, high surface area with heat = better flavor. Sounds good and is good and it's looking like a mesh coil correctly implemented may be the best way. Trouble with wire is the bulk need to get a large area at a low resistance is ever finer wire,. I seen where Oen on UT will hammer his wire flat to achieve this result.

On a regulated device high resistance does not equal better battery life. One could build a 1 ohm coil that requires 60 watts to operate or build a 1 ohm coil that only requires 10 watts to operate. The 60 watt coil has more mass. On a regulated device, mass dictates your required power, not resistance. Mass also contributes to how quickly a coil heats up and cools down. But this can also play against you. Too low of a mass and both air flow and liquid saturation can now influence the coil’s operating temperature.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
i didn't think i'd like the heat vent top cap, but I kind of do
the drip tip on the other hand is a pos....nice idea but mutes the flavor some....
hehehe i may have to pay you to make mine squonkable :D
We’ll see what happens when it comes in. For all I know the center pin is threaded or free floating. Then it’s easy. A copper press fit that long and narrow can’t be pulled though. It would just rip. If it IS free floating or threaded though the standard kit should do it. This is a 454 v1 pictured btw which is the one I ended up buying because cheap. There is also a v2 which looks from here to be the one with the milled in drip tip. Got no pics of that.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
View attachment 807745 Ugh. 454 looks from this pic to have a press fit threaded copper center post that goes all the way up. May need a drill press after all, as well as a tiny tiny drill bit. I may be SOL for squonking this one. See what happens anyway. It’s too late now.
Since it's a copper pin it might be just as easy to cut a key way up the side of the pin with a thin hack saw or Dremel cutoff wheel. You will still need to drill juice holes in the center post but that is the easy part.

The-Process-of-Cutting-Keyed-Shafts.jpg

I'd go deeper but this is just an example. ;)

Reactions: Shadav

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Since it's a copper pin it might be just as easy to cut a key way up the side of the pin with a thin hack saw or Dremel cutoff wheel. You will still need to drill juice holes in the center post but that is the easy part.

The-Process-of-Cutting-Keyed-Shafts.jpg

I'd go deeper but this is just an example. ;)
Have to get it out first though. The whether and wheretofores of that are still up in the air, at least for me. If it IS press fit drilling out the whole thing and making a pin like yours might be the superior answer though. If it’s threaded it’s just a matter of unscrewing the old one and either cutting a slot like you mention or using a premade piece. No bit end on the bottom though from the pic which worries me a bit. Most probable atm seems to me to be drill it out and replace it or drill a hole through the center of the copper. Neither is going to be any fun. Might maybe be able to press it out from the top using the top screw hole. I don’t think I could reliably jury rig a press anvil that long and thin though. Plus there’s the screw threads in the top to worry about.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread