looking for a tank that won't crack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I don't have any of the standard length, but don't the cartos have to have a flange?

No, they do not have to have a flange.

Smoktech came up with the flange idea to prevent a tank from sliding on the carto toward the battery. It does not prevent a tank from sliding off the carto away from the battery. It's a nice idea for the flange, but it is not necessary. tanks tend to settle and grip the carto a day or so after they have been filled.

It's just common sense to pick your device up by the battery, and not by the tank. Follow this practice and you will have no spills. Smoktech is the only carto manufacturer who utilizes the flange.

Non-flanged cartos work just as well in tanks, including Smoktech tanks. I use primarily Ikenvape cartos (no flange) in all of my tanks, and I have not had a tank slide off my mod ever, because I've made a practice of only picking up my mod by the battery.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
No, they do not have to have a flange.

Smoktech came up with the flange idea to prevent a tank from sliding on the carto toward the battery. It does not prevent a tank from sliding off the carto away from the battery. It's a nice idea for the flange, but it is not necessary. Tanks tend to settle and grip the carto a day or so after they have been filled.

It's just common sense to pick your device up by the battery, and not by the tank. Follow this practice and you will have no spills. Smoktech is the only carto manufacturer who utilizes the flange.

Non-flanged cartos work just as well in tanks, including Smoktech tanks. I use primarily Ikenvape cartos (no flange) in all of my tanks, and I have not had a tank slide off my mod ever, because I've made a practice of only picking up my mod by the battery.

Thanks, that's good to know. I've been trying to match up my tanks so I don't have to buy different kinds of cartos.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Since you "primarily use IKenVape" can I blame you that they are always out of stock?

You can't blame me entirely, a lot of my "fans" have started using them, too. They are copy-catting everything that I use. IKE cartos, IBTanks, Provari's, etc. I can't say that I blame them, because my setup works (for me).

:rickroll:

By the way, I recently ordered 25 of the 510 Fusions when I heard they were in stock. The Platinums sold out in like an hour before I even realized they got more cartos in.

Last edited:

Nickycaps182

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2013
Delaware
While I have not had a tank crack yet...I am wanting one metal one that I can use if there is any doubt.
Any suggestions? the info for my set up is in my sig..Seen ones that say ego but not sure if it is the same thread type or not

The Stv vivi nova is metal and wicks well

i_is_surf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2013
USA
The plastic tube can be removed and replaced with a metal one. Mini ViVi Nova Metal Tubes - SILVER [gv-MiniViViNovaMetalTube-SILVER] - $3.45 : GotVapes.com, E-cigarette Supplies - Atomizers Cartomizers Mods Juice and more

The Vivi Nova tanks that are metal and have a juice viewing window are not safe for use with tank crackers, as the window is made of polycarbonate.

Polycarbonate plastic (clear plastic used in clearomizers and clear tubed tanks) is susceptible to cracking or melting when in contact with certain flavors of e-juice. Materials such as glass, polypropylene plastic, or metal are immune to this chemical reaction.

If you are inquiring about the IBTanks, they have a standard length tank that will fit a standard 510 Boge carto.

Sorry, I guess I read too far into it when I see these things listed as "sleeves" so I envisioned they slipped over the polycarbonate tank, not replaced it.

Thanks for the info!

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Sorry, I guess I read too far into it when I see these things listed as "sleeves" so I envisioned they slipped over the polycarbonate tank, not replaced it.

Thanks for the info!

There are actually two different kinds. There is a metal tube you can use in place of the regular tube, and then there is a metal version* with a window to see the juice level that is a sleeve which fits over a polycarbonate tube. Why they didn't use polypropylene is beyond me, since many people use the metal because of problems with juice degrading polycarbonate. :blink:

*STV Vivi Nova

Last edited:

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
You can't blame me entirely, a lot of my "fans" have started using them, too. They are copy-catting everything that I use. IKE cartos, IBTanks, Provari's, etc. I can't say that I blame them, because my setup works (for me).

And your setups work for us too ;) But I won't drink the Kool-Aid...

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The Stv vivi nova is metal and wicks well

:danger:

STV vivi nova.jpg

To be clear, the STV Vivi Nova has a polycarbonate plastic window that will crack when used with the tank-cracking flavors.

To safely use these flavors in a Vivi Nova, the entire tank must be made of metal.
metal sleeves for VN.jpg

Last edited:

Big Mac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2012
Citrus Heights, CA
Thanks for this link Bad. Answered most of my questions, still have one for you guys here. When you talk about the length of a carto, where is it measured from? Stand it on end and measure the whole thing top to bottom, or is it just the tube portion and not counting the threaded portion?

Now that I have a much better idea of what to look for, gonna order a couple of the metal tanks for the vivi minis I use and a couple of the cart tanks referenced in this thread. Have to see who has all the items I want/need...see if I can get lucky with just one order, lol.

Thanks folks for being so straight forward and providing understandable answers to questions us beginning tank users have.

Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread