Status
Not open for further replies.

specter9mm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
San Diego, CA, USA
Hi all,
Joined up here because it seemed the best place to get help with my RBA setup. Didn't know I couldn't post in the RBA thread until I had 5 in here. Oh well. Started vaping about 2 months ago when my wife asked me to quit smoking. I started out on an ego-c with a smoktech plastic dct, and it was terrible. I think the juice I got was bad, and the 3ml skinny tanks just don't seem to feed the cartos properly. Since I have mainly been using smoktech 2 ohm dc cartos in their 6ml glass tanks on a Vamo V2, and I have been loving it. I just recently got some single coil 3 ohm cartos to find my fancy shmancy phiniac tank, and wow, it is amazing.

So after how much I enjoyed the change to higher resistance, shorter carto, I decided to give an RBA a shot. I looked around for a while, and the AGT Titanium caught my eye. Ugh, so far so bad.

I didn't have any trouble building the coil and wick, I have done two so far. They measure a steady 1.3 even if I wiggle them a bit. The coil is seated nicely against the SS wick, and I do not get hot spots.

Burns my fluid, tastes like charred charcoal. I have my vamo set at 4 watts, anything above that and it burns the fluid. If I try to use volts it burns even on the lowest setting of 3 volts. So by my calculations, 4 watts at 1.3 ohms is about 2.3 volts. I get a decent amount of vapor, nothing super huge, but very acceptable, but the flavor just isn't right, and I usually like my liquids at a higher wattage/voltage. Any time I try to increase the power even a bit, it burns the fluid. I am not sure what I did wrong.

Help?

specter9mm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
San Diego, CA, USA
I I turn the power up the whole thing turns red. I use 100% VG, and I think I may have rolled my wicks too tight, and used to fine of mesh. I have orders some 325 SS Mesh, and some 32 gauge kanthal, and going to give it another try. I did notice the wick hole on this unit is much smaller than most other top coil AGTs. While I think it is wicking well, I could be wrong. The wick always stays wet, and if I tip it and hold down the power button it produces vapor steadily, it is just burnt at anything above 4 watts.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I I turn the power up the whole thing turns red.

I assume you mean the coil, correct? If so, your wick is not moving juice fast enough to keep up.

I use 100% VG, and I think I may have rolled my wicks too tight, and used to fine of mesh. I have orders some 325 SS Mesh, and some 32 gauge kanthal, and going to give it another try. I did notice the wick hole on this unit is much smaller than most other top coil AGTs. While I think it is wicking well, I could be wrong. The wick always stays wet, and if I tip it and hold down the power button it produces vapor steadily, it is just burnt at anything above 4 watts.

The finer the mesh, the faster it will move juice. Doesn't matter that the juice is thick. I've opened up the wick hole in my AGA-T to 1/8 inch and find it wicks better this way.

specter9mm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
San Diego, CA, USA
Ryedan, I suspect you may be correct about the wicking issue. I rebuilt the coil three times tonight, ended up between 1.3 and 1.5 ohms every time, but still got burnt charcoal vape. The wick hole on the UD AGT is incredibly small, and I have the roll the wick very tight. I know the coils did not have hot spots, if I lit it up dry around the wick, the whole coil turned red at the same time. Put fluid in, vape, burnt. Driving me nuts. I ordered some coarser mesh, 325, and I am going to try wrapping a looser wick, but so far this is not fun. I probably should have gone with a standard size genesis for my first instead of the small size.

VaWildlife

Verified Member
Feb 26, 2013
Richmond, VA
Strange I have two AGT's and rolled the wicks tightly but still have a straw affect.
One is using .5 ribbon at 1.3ohm wicks well and flavor is great the other I used 32awg
and it came in at 1.6ohm again wicks well and not a problem. I'm using a VV2 and a Magneto sometimes Provari Mini.
I'm keeping the volts 3.7 and below. 400 mesh is all I'm using and I'm oxidizing it as well.

Last edited:

specter9mm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
San Diego, CA, USA
Yeah, I used 400 and 32awg as well, but did it around a paperclip. What PG/VG mix do you use?

Strange I have two AGT's and rolled the wicks tightly but still have a straw affect.
One is using .5 ribbon at 1.3ohm wicks well and flavor is great the other I used 32awg
and it came in at 1.6ohm again wicks well and not a problem. I'm using a VV2 and a Magneto sometimes Provari Mini.
I'm keeping the volts 3.7 and below. 400 mesh is all I'm using and I'm oxidizing it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread