Looking for my first mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
There are lots and lots of choices and many reasonably priced. I would suggest you consider getting a mod with removable batteries. This way you avoid any downtime because you can just carry extra batteries.

I have not used this one -- but I had considered it https://www.directvapor.com/premium-mods/eleaf-
istick-pico-25-vape-starter-kit.html

It has the box mod plus the tank and you just have to change out your batteries and the coils.

You can get it cheaper - you have to look around.

I use a very basic setup - Kanger Toptank mini. It is a bit older - has the box and a top fill tank. it takes coils plus it is expandable. It does temperature and wattage mode and comes with an RBA piece so I can build my own coils.

You can also get ones with the battery built in - the thing is --if the battery dies the whole box is no good whereas with one that takes batteries you just get new batteries as needed.

When I moved up from an ego to a mod I noticed a big difference and enjoyed vaping more.

How much are you looking to spend? If you throw out a ballpark figure -nothing it too high or low --I am sure you can get some great recommendations.

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
That's a good one, but I would recommend the Pico 21700 instead.

Good solid mod that can be had for about $30 USD.
Comes with a pretty good tank, it can use 21700, 20700, or 18650 batteries, and accepts up to 26mm tanks.

Either one would be a good choice.

Last edited:

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I have and like the Pico 21700. Also have Vaporesso Tarot Nanos (these have internal batteries) and a Swag, a Revenger x.

In my experience, you often get a kit for only a couple dollars more than a mod, but a lot of the tanks are less than fabulous. Vaporesso kits are the exception, very nice tanks in their kits. And most of them hold a charge a good long time, too.

I love Eleaf mods, have used them for years, but not a fan of their tanks.

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
I love Eleaf mods, have used them for years, but not a fan of their tanks.

I agree, but they've gotten much better with recent ones and most recent ones are compatible with Smok Baby Beast coils, Joyetech coils, and Wismec coils. Makes it much easier to find one that makes their tanks perform better.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I've been vaping about a month now on my joytech ego aio and feel I'm ready to move onto my first mod, I was really just looking for some tips on what would be a good beginner mod, nothing too expensive, I'm based in Ireland.
I agree with Coastal Cowboy. JAC Vapour is a Scottish company which has earned high marks for high quality gear and customer service. I own two JAC Vapour series B DNA75W and use one or the other all day. A single 18650 15A 3000mAh battery lasts me nearly the entire day. The DNA chip provides a smooth consistant vape. A small yet relatively powerful regulated mod that can be easily carried about in a pocket or purse.

Features you should consider:

Size and Comfort Factor:

I recently did a review for the Geekvape Aegis Legend, a dual-battery mod with highly desirable features such a being dustproof, waterproof, and shockproof. However, it is a relatively large, heavy, and bulky-shaped device that is just "too much mod" for my tastes to use day in and day out.

On the other hand, the JAC Vapour (my review) is a slim, compact single-battery mod. It is extremely comfortable in the hand with rounded edges and is easily transported in a pocket or purse when not in use. I'll grab this beauty every time when I need a vape.
Power:

How much power do you need? Mods today boast claims of 200 watts or more. Do you need that much power? More than likely not. Most vapers vape under 50 watts. How many watts do you vape at? (2018) Having said that, with higher wattage also comes longer battery life per charge because they use larger or multiple batteries (which also adds size and weight).
Internal or External Battery?:

Internal battery mods have a non-removable battery which is charged via micro USB cord. Some folks like this because they believe it to be more convenient not having to deal with external batteries and a separate box charger. However, that battery has a 250-300 cycle life at which point the battery starts to lose its ability to hold a charge, and the entire mod then becomes an expensive paper weight. Another issue with internal batteries is when the charge runs out, the mod stops working until you can use a USB charging port.

External battery mods allow you to pick and choose the battery with the specifications that fit the way you vape. When the battery reaches the end of its cycle life, you simply buy another battery for $5 - $9 and continue to use your old mod. Good battery chargers can be had for $20. Should your external battery lose its charge while vaping, simply replace it with a charged spare battery and continue vaping.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nate5700

Nate5700

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2014
Jenks, OK, USA
Internal battery mods have a non-removable battery which is charged via micro USB cord. Some folks like this because they believe it to be more convenient not having to deal with external batteries and a separate box charger. However, that battery has a 250-300 cycle life at which point the battery starts to lose its ability to hold a charge, and the entire mod then becomes an expensive paper weight. Another issue with internal batteries is when the charge runs out, the mod stops working until you can use a USB charging port.

External battery mods allow you to pick and choose the battery with the specifications that fit the way you vape. When the battery reaches the end of its cycle life, you simply buy another battery for $5 - $9 and continue to use your old mod. Good battery chargers can be had for $20. Should your external battery lose its charge while vaping, simply replace it with a charged spare battery and continue vaping.
This is precisely why I just got my new external battery mod (a JAC actually, per @Baditude's recommendation). I love my Gobys but they will die and that will be the end of them. There is a convenience factor with internal battery mods but you have to decide what the monetary value of that is, because when it's done you have to get a new mod.

• Love
Reactions: Baditude
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread