Looking to help a loved one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctorvapes

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2017
My girlfriend has stage 1 COPD and still experiences a lot of wheezing with vaping she is down to one cigarette a day and has been that way for a long a time. She went down from 12 nic to 9 mic recently and consumes the same amount of liquid. She runs about 2 to 3 tanks in the ares rta at 13.5 watts. I've tried in the past almost pure vg juice as I know pg can be an irritating. I make 80 vg 20 pg juice right now. I'm willing to buy another atomizer or a pod system, I think I had asked a question about it in the past or maybe she did. Anyhow any help any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Reactions: stols001

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
My first question would be why drop the nic if she hasn't completely stopped smoking yet? My suggestion is to go back to 12mg to start. As for PG vs VG is she complaining of harshness, irritation, or does vaping seem to send her into coughing fits?

Here are some tips since you make the juice yourself.
  • If the TH was too much try making 12mg by using 6mg of freebase and 6mg of smooth salts.
  • If she feels she is just missing something, then try using some Whole Tobacco Alkaloids. Like maybe 2mg or 3mg nic from the WTA and the rest from freebase.
  • If she needs both the WTA and the salts try 12% nic total (5mg from freebase, 5mg salts, and 2mg from WTA). This combo was what I had to use for my wife to finally quit for good.
  • If vaping is causing coughing, try using salts only (and WTA if needed) and skip the freebase all together.

Last edited:

Doctorvapes

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2017
My first question would be why drop the nic if she hasn't completely stopped smoking yet? My suggestion is to go back to 12mg to start. As for PG vs VG is she complaining of harshness, irritation, or does vaping seem to send her into coughing fits?

Here are some tips since you make the juice yourself.
  • If the TH was too much try making 12mg by using 6mg of freebase and 6mg of smooth salts.
  • If she feels she is just missing something, thy using some Whole Tobacco Alkaloids. Like maybe 2mg or 3mg nic from the WTA and the rest from freebase.
  • If she needs both the WTA and the salts try 12% nic total (5mg from freebase, 5mg, and 2mg from WTA). This combo was what I had to use for my wife to finally quit for good.
  • If vaping is causing coughing, try using salts only (and WTA if needed) and skip the freebase all together.
Thank you so much

Reactions: stols001

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
My girlfriend has stage 1 COPD and still experiences a lot of wheezing with vaping she is down to one cigarette a day and has been that way for a long a time. She went down from 12 nic to 9 mic recently and consumes the same amount of liquid. She runs about 2 to 3 tanks in the ares rta at 13.5 watts. I've tried in the past almost pure vg juice as I know pg can be an irritating. I make 80 vg 20 pg juice right now. I'm willing to buy another atomizer or a pod system, I think I had asked a question about it in the past or maybe she did. Anyhow any help any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I have a few suggestions that you may or may not find useful. First, I'd really prioritize getting rid of that last cigarette. One a day is a lot better than a pack a day, but even one can have a big effect.
  • Does she always smoke that one at the same time, or does it vary? If it's always the same time, she might start by changing the time for a week or two to help break the habit before dropping it entirely.
  • She might also consider getting a second setup with 18 mg/ml for a harder hit to use only when she would otherwise have had the cigarette.
Concerning the PG/VG ratio, have you tried it the other way around? It's true that PG is an irritant for some people, but others (like me, and someone in another thread who also has COPD) have more problems with VG. I find it makes me wheezy and my chest feel heavy. I'm fine if I keep the VG down to about 50%. The other poster I mentioned keeps it at 20%. Anyway, if you haven't yet tried high PG/low VG, it's definitely worth checking out.

You might also want to keep an eye out for reactions to different flavours. Creams and custards also make me wheezy, and the only solution I've found there is to avoid them entirely.

Good luck. I hope you're able to identify some triggers, and I wish you the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread