Lost my taste... again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bridgette

Aug 11, 2010
Syracuse
What a horrible way to ring in my "100 Days Cigarette Free"....

I lost my taste.... AGAIN.

All my favorite flavors are tasting terrible. The last time this happened it wasn't quite as bad - I had burnt my tongue on some food and then for several days afterward I couldn't get ahold of that creamy taste in all my vanilla/carmel/butterscotch yummy juices. This time it's so much worse... it's that PLUS now it's like I can taste this funky smoke/tobacco taste. It's bizarre. Like right now - I'm vaping Cotton Candy 18mg 100% PG - aged 6 weeks - and it tastes like an ashtray to me. What's up with that? When I was 2 weeks in to vaping I went through a 5ml of this same mix in a day.

Tips? Advice? ....I know... I need to drink more water.

Bridgette

Aug 11, 2010
Syracuse
Yeah - both my egos have clean, fairly new (2 & 1/2 weeks old) attys on them. I notice the taste is worse on the one that I've been dripping with. The one with the cartridge tastes OK - but only for about 4 or 5 hits after I fill the cartridge. That one uses a LR atty.. it seems to burn the juice up so fast. And the LR doesn't taste good with the drip tip. I just ordered some sweetener and flavors from the Perfumer's Apprentice. I really hope it's my juices. I tend to let them sit a month or so before I use them... they always seem so bland when they first come in the mail. Maybe a month is too long?

On my ego that I drip with - I notice after I let off the manual battery button... I hear a slight crackling noise that sizzles out after about 1 & 1/2 seconds.... is that normal?

Godzilla

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2010
Northern California
www.foxyboxmods.com
Have you removed the wick in those attys?

YouTube - How to remove your Wick (Mod)

I had 2 attys that got a burnt taste, and when I removed the wick, they were black and nasty from burnt juice. I use tiny needle nose pliers, or you can use a toothpick and tweesers to get the wick threads out of there.

irefine

ECF Veteran
Oct 9, 2010
SoCal
This happened to me last week. Everything tasted like rasberry or something it was gross. I switched to menthol for a couple of days and my taste came back. It might not be the atty because I tried new/old, standard/LR, 510/306, 3.7/6.0, bridge/no bridge and it didn't make a difference. I am sure it was my taste buds not the equipment.

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado
How to De-wick an Atty

Some people feel that juice builds up on the wick and causes it to start tasting bad. De-wicking is very easy and I have a few de-wicked attys. It's great for dripping. There are also drawbacks to de-wicking. The wick helps pull juice to the bridge where it's atomized and turned into vapor. Removing the wick means the juice isn't getting any assistance to the bridge. You can still use carts, but you have to take some time between hits to allow more juice to get to the bridge.

Hygroscopic

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2010
United States
:confused:How do you dewick an atty and why do they have a wick if they are better without them?

If you are using carts then the wick catches the juice. If you are dripping, then you'd possibly want to remove the wick. You can clean an atty and the wick threads will clean. However they also might burn and that is where removing the wick becomes beneficial. Especially on dark and/or thicker juices. You can clean burned threads, but they're still burnt.

I've used carts with a de-wicked atty and it worked fine. I am just not a fan of carts. If I need to pre-fill anything I'd rather go with a carto because I'm driving or on the run.

Right now I know I'm going through a taste change phase. Tastyfinger went from cocoa/butterfinger to a cocoa/severely chocolatey 555. (Thankfully I like 555.) Been trying to figure out if I'm fighting something or if it is just a taste change phase again. No taste/decreased taste I also kick over to a menthol. That way I know something is wrong if I can't smell or taste menthol at all.

Last edited:

smokingRN

Oct 3, 2010
Maryland
I've been vaping for a few months and have lost my sense of taste a few times. I can taste food but not the flavors when I vape. I taste a soap or celery type of taste. Before I kept getting a peppery taste. I think that may have been from a high nic content. Is the soap taste from PG or VG? It does this on all my attys and with a drip tip. I'm sure it is not the juice. I have about 20 and they all taste strange. Is this from irritation in the throat or nose? I tried the sinus rinse and it didn't help. I guess I have to wait it out like before. I just want to know what causes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread