Lots of e-cig bills introduced in Oklahoma, hearing held

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Oklahoma bill (SB 1892) would ban sale of tobacco-derived products and vapor products to minors, would tax tobacco-derived products at $.10/unit. This appears to be the same bill that was approved by a Conference Committee last year, only to be rejected by the OK House (due to opposition by ACS, AHA, ALA and OK Heath Dept).
OK SB1892 | 2014 | Regular Session | LegiScan

Oklahoma bill (SB 1780) would ban sale of vapor products to minors
OK SB1780 | 2014 | Regular Session | LegiScan

Oklahoma bill (HB 2988) would ban e-cig and e-liquid sales to minors
OK HB2988 | 2014 | Regular Session | LegiScan
http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/2013-14bills/HB/HB2988_int.rtf

Oklahoma bill (HB 3451) would ban e-cig and e-liquid sales to minors
OK HB3451 | 2014 | Regular Session | LegiScan

Oklahoma bills (HB 2904 & SB 1835) would ban sales of e-cigs to minors, but would deceitfully call the smokefree products “electronic smoking devices”. These bills are sponsored by CTFK, ACS, AHA and probably the OK Health Dept.
OK HB2904 | 2014 | Regular Session | LegiScan
OK SB1835 | 2014 | Regular Session | LegiScan

There was a legislative hearing on Wednesday on e-cigs.

Jeff Stier testifies in support of e-cigs to Oklahoma legislative committee (OK)
National Center's Jeff Stier, Though Caught in Snowstorm, Will Testify on Tobacco Harm Reduction Measures and E-Cigarette Regulation

And a news article
Lawmakers say change is needed after hearing benefits of e-cigarettes | KFOR.com

kathi17

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2013
Stonington, ME, USA

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
south Bay Area, California
www.facebook.com
So, the Vape Net Vaping Militia recorded this from the Oklahoma legislature live feed. It would be nice if someone has the time to cut out some buffer lag between 1:00:00 and 1:25:00

If your blood pressure survives Dr. Lichtenfeld's talk, you can have a LOT of fun listening to the Q&A part of his preso, which is probably about half of his segment. Really, they ask a lot of the questions we've ALWAYS wished we could ask 'on the record' and it's fun listening to him tap dance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkt2MEA6e38

First speaker, Blu/Lorrilard. Didn't get name, started partway through. Ends 0:09:59
Edit: Per Bill Godshall's post below: The first testifier was Lorillard's Mike Shannon.

0:10:10 Dr. Nitzkin, Senior Fellow for Tobacco Policy with the R-street Foundation ends at 0:48:30
Lots of feed problems in the latter half of his preso, and some cutting-out during the Q&A.

0:48:20 starts Sean Gore, Chairman “Oklahoma Vapor Advocacy League” “E-cigarettes = quitting tobacco” 1:04:50 – 1:06:30 switch audio to another stream because of audio problems. Then buffering again from 1:06:30 to 1:09:35. Ends 1:24:50

1:25:00 - Blakeley, a vaper Ends 1:29:30
1:29:50- Dr. Leonard Lichtenfeld, ACA 2:24:50
2:25:10 Dr. Terry Klein Sec'y OK HHS, Health Commissioner for Oklahoma very static-y around 2:35:18 Ends 3:10:25
3:10:28 Jeff Stier Senior Fellow Public Center for Public Policy Research Committee could not come, snowed in
3:11:00 Dr. Theodor Wagner, Assistant Professor for Pediatrics for OU Health Sciences Center

Last edited:

jstrang

Dec 17, 2013
California
This part from SB1892 kinda through me for a loop. Anyone with clarification on this?

13. The words "tobacco-derived products" shall mean any noncombustible products derived from tobacco that contain nicotine and are intended for human consumption, including snus, whether chewed, absorbed, dissolved or ingested by any other means, but do not include vapor products or any products regulated by the United States Food and Drug Administration under Chapter V of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act;

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
Hoorah for the Senators and Speakers who asked great questions & to the speakers who shared the truths. Sean the BullChit rider deserves a buckle!
They need to know what exactly what a Trace & what a Threshold is. They need the mathematical calculus to put it into visual perspective. (How many Vapers vaping in a vw bug, with the windows rolled down...
They need to understand that the better gear actually helps (practically requires) the Vaper to choose lower mg or it's too strong.
A printout of TSET's bribery grants (levels of achievement for banning) might be nice too.
I can't believe so few points need to be typed! The speakers did an awesome job!!
That last guy who spoke was so excited about the hookah wasn't he lol. Little does he know that the hookah pens are popular because they are indeed ZERO NICOTINE which assures they will be able to walk away addict free when they're bored.
Oh! & we need to get dr. Farsalinos flavor studies in there too. That last guy sure knew how to plant a seed of doubt didn't he. I think they saw through him though... That he needs more "funds for more studies because a researchers job is never finished".
I love those Senators. They have the backs of the public. I'm impressed!! Hopefully, the ret of the details to clarify tiny areas will surface & put all doubts aside.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Finally finished the entire hearing. The one point I wish they would have asked When asked about funding, the two ANTZ stated, proudly, that they had no funding from the tobacco industry (big surprise). The follow up question should have been what funding they received from the pharma industry. Both danced a lot during questioning. I would have loved to see how they danced around that question.

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
Finally finished the entire hearing. The one point I wish they would have asked When asked about funding, the two ANTZ stated, proudly, that they had no funding from the tobacco industry (big surprise). The follow up question should have been what funding they received from the pharma industry. Both danced a lot during questioning. I would have loved to see how they danced around that question.
I thought the same thing!

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
south Bay Area, California
www.facebook.com

You DID see how they danced around it, they were asked about Pharma and left it out. So, yeah, I SO wish the people in the room had caught that!

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Another bill (HB 2988) was introduced in the Oklahoma House to ban minors from purchasing or possessing e-cigs (but doesn't appear to ban their sales to minors).
Search Results (OK for HB2988) | LegiScan
OK HB2988 | 2014 | Regular Session | LegiScan

Amazingly, this bill would not only ban minors from purchasing or possessing e-cigs, but it would increase the first offense fine against minors for purchasing or possessing any tobacco product (and now e-cigs) from $100 to $5,000, and would increase subsequent offense fines from $200 to $20,000.

These fines would be issued to minors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread