LOTS of questions about 510, kr8 and ego/riva. Please help I'm overwhelmed! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

DawnsDone

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2011
Derry NH
LOTS of questions about 510, kr8 and ego/riva. Please help I'm overwhelmed! lol

ALL of my knowledge so far comes from this forum and from the experiences I’ve had with the kits I’ve bought (all overpriced, basically crap) so far. I’ve done a ton of reading and think I understand most of it, but there is still a lot I’m unclear about so I apologize if these questions seem stupid or have been asked a zillion times.
KR8 Questions:
1) I want to use a kr808 with a sealed battery. Which kr808 brands are sealed/manual? Can you even use cartomizers with manual batteries?
2) If the kr808 and 510 batteries are the same length and diameter, why do they not make 510 with the same mah as the kr808? The only reason I want to try a kr8 is because the battery life is said to be so much better than the 510.
3) I’ve heard the bloog’s maxxfusion has the best battery life of all kr808s but they seem to have manufacturing probs related to the ohm of their cartos’ being all over the place, testing from 1.8 to 4.0 in the same 5pk. I’m considering getting just the mf battery with another brand carto’s. Which brands are recommended, easy to fill (I dislike carto filling) and what resistance should I be looking at?
510 Questions:
1) I would like a 510 kit with the mega batteries rather than standard, but I can’t find them in kits which seem to be much cheaper to start out with.
Ego/Riva Questions:
1) I hear ppl saying a lot to make sure you get a genuine joye 510 as the knock offs are usually of poor quality. What about the riva being a knockoff of the ego. Is the riva as good as the ego?
2) Are all ego parts and accessories compatible with the riva?
3) I hear about LR cartomizers. You can get lr atomizers also right? What ohm do I want for the 510 regular or mega battery and which is best for the ego/riva battery? Should I get diff ones for the 650mah ego than the 1000mah ego? And where can I get lr attys?
4) Is there a big difference when using an ego to use a lr atty?
5) I saw mega ego atomizers on cignot. I see the point of mega carts since the hold more juice. What’s the point of the mega atty or is it just so it’ll fit a mega cart?
6) When ordering a pass-through either for the 510 or ego style, can I use an usb to wall adapter and smoke it from an outlet when I’m not around my laptop? Do I need a certain wall adapter to use a pass-through for or will any work?
Also please keep all recommendations to those shipping from the USA. I only state this because I will be buying parts/accessories over a few weeks, not all at once so the shipping from china is not worth a $10 part.

Right now I own:
The 510 standard battery kit (love it, wish battery life was better!)
The smoke51 Trio (redline 510 compatible) kit (experiencing many problems with the attys, tight tight draw and batteries not charging one day then working fine the next)
The ........... kit (already completely died and thrown in the trash)
My plans are to purchase these 3 models for now, probably moving on to a prodigy or the like later.

The 510 with mega batteries and mega carts (for my daughter so I need the entire kit not just the batts)
The Riva or the ego (1000mah option)
A kr808 manual battery with carto’s, and an adapter to use carts. I don’t like using carto’s as I can’t tell when it’s full, I’m no good with a syringe and condom filling just didn’t work for me, the ONLY reason I want a kr8 is for the times I’m out and want a “stick” style with longer battery life. Therefore I’m only interested in ones that have a manual battery (if they make that) and that have a way to use cartridges.

Abubika

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2011
Downingtown pa
I would go with an ego/riva style. I jumped up from an 808 and love the battery life and they are vapor machines. I pieced my vgo setup together for about $38 and got the 900mah which lasts a good day and a half for me on the go

Riva/ego parts should all be mostly compatible and from what I've read on here the riva is just an ego with a few changes that they did for comfort and slightly bigger stock battery (750mab compared to 650)

Last edited:

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
KR8 -

1. Yes you can get KR8 manual batteries in generic form at places like LiteCigUSA.net or in fancier colors at Vapor4Life.com as their Vapor King. And they seem to be sealed - there is a hole in the metal end but I think a silicone seal under that - maybe it's not a total seal but the hole looks somewhat sealed on mine. I have dripped with them using a std 901 atty and drip tip (901 atty screws right on instead of the carto). the 901 atty does make it significantly longer but I enjoy the cool vapory easy drag. Yes you can use cartos with manual batteries

2. Standard 510 and standard KR8 batteries are not the same length. A standard complete KR8 and a standard 510 are about the same length and girth, but part of the 510's length is its long atomizer piece. A standard 510 battery is more the length if a KR8 shorty battery, but because 510 is a 3-piece the complete e-cig ends up the size of a complete KR8 standard 2-piece

KR8 shorty and 510 standard = 180mah
KR8 standard and 510 xl = 280mah
KR8 xl = 380mah

3) I know nothing about the bloog. I do know the CigEasy Elegant Easy is the fat long-lasting battery version of a KR8 and someone left a very good review about it recently

re 510 - I don't know alot. Ego and Riva are built upon other models. Ego upon 510, Riva I think upon 510 or 901, Elegant Easy upon KR8. You could actually use whatever 510 attys you want on an Ego - you could use Joye ones. or just buy the Ego from a reputable dealer people recommend and the parts should be fine. There are good parts besides Joye but some clone parts around are not as good (off-center shabbily put together attys and stuff).

Last edited:

trouble2k

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2010
Billings, MT
1) I want to use a kr808 with a sealed battery. Which kr808 brands are sealed/manual? Can you even use cartomizers with manual batteries?Yes, you can use cartos w/ either manual or auto.
2) If the kr808 and 510 batteries are the same length and diameter, why do they not make 510 with the same mah as the kr808? The only reason I want to try a kr8 is because the battery life is said to be so much better than the 510.The 510s are actually a little smaller than 808.
3) I’ve heard the bloog’s maxxfusion has the best battery life of all kr808s but they seem to have manufacturing probs related to the ohm of their cartos’ being all over the place, testing from 1.8 to 4.0 in the same 5pk. I’m considering getting just the mf battery with another brand carto’s. Which brands are recommended, easy to fill (I dislike carto filling) and what resistance should I be looking at?I don't know much about Bloog, but if it's a 280mah battery, it should be similar to lower priced ones.
510 Questions:
1) I would like a 510 kit with the mega batteries rather than standard, but I can’t find them in kits which seem to be much cheaper to start out with.I know Totally Wicked carries them, but they are sometimes a little higher priced. I'm sure you could do some searching and find some lower priced ones.
Ego/Riva Questions:
1) I hear ppl saying a lot to make sure you get a genuine joye 510 as the knock offs are usually of poor quality. What about the riva being a knockoff of the ego. Is the riva as good as the ego?Yes. I have the eGo and the Riva and I can't tell the difference.
2) Are all ego parts and accessories compatible with the riva?The only thing I haven't been able to use on the Riva was the eGo Mega cartomizer.
3) I hear about LR cartomizers. You can get lr atomizers also right? What ohm do I want for the 510 regular or mega battery and which is best for the ego/riva battery? Should I get diff ones for the 650mah ego than the 1000mah ego? And where can I get lr attys?You can use the LR on higher mah batteries (I think over 350?), but don't use LR on the 510 or mega 510. The attys can be bought pretty much anywhere you buy the kit.
4) Is there a big difference when using an ego to use a lr atty?(My opinion) It depends on the juice. I tried one lr atty and wasn't impressed. The Boge lr cartomizers are remarkably better though. You'll hear from others about how great the lr attys are. Personal preference...
5) I saw mega ego atomizers on cignot. I see the point of mega carts since the hold more juice. What’s the point of the mega atty or is it just so it’ll fit a mega cart?You're probably right. That's the same reason the make the mega attys for 510s.
6) When ordering a pass-through either for the 510 or ego style, can I use an usb to wall adapter and smoke it from an outlet when I’m not around my laptop? Do I need a certain wall adapter to use a pass-through for or will any work?I've heard of them, but I'll pass this on to someone who knows more about passthroughs.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
It is recommended to use a passthru with a Passthru-capable USB to AC adapter and not from a PC's USB. Most PTs need 1amp worth of power. A typical ecig battery's AC to USB adapter only has 1/2 amp (i.e. 500mA) of power (should say on it). Some computers do not have 1amp of power available from the USB ports. I have heard some people have blown out their computer's USB ports by using a PT on them.

I use this 4-port 2-amp max USB to AC adapter
Newegg.com - Rosewill 2 Amp 4 Port USB Wall Charger RUC-6180 for iPhone/iPod/iPad/MP3

With normal e-cigarette batteries that need 1/2 amp (500mA) to charge, you can charge 4 at once on this adapter if the cables will fit (those short hard battery to USB adapter are too thick to fit 2 next to each other on the Rosewill's ports. I usually look for the cable-type USB to battery adapters). This Rosewill can also run a PT that needs 1 amp and 2 battery charging cables that need 1/2 amp each (you cannot charge 3 and use a PT because that would need more than 2 amps)

I know nothing about the fat longer-charge batteries like Ego, Riva, Elegant Easy. I know those kinds of batteries usually have their own chargers, and I do not know if you can charge them on the Rosewill. I also don't know if they have special PTs with higher power needs or different voltage needs.

Last edited:

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado
The Mega cartomizers will work with the Riva, but some of them won't line up with the button right. I was able to use them and just understood that sometimes the button would be off to the left or right a little bit.

People use LR attys with their eGo and Riva batteries even though it isn't recommended. These batteries have what is called a MOSFET switch which can be ruined by LR attys. They aren't really designed to handle the power generated by them. If you really want to try it, then I don't suggest you go below 2.0 Ohms on the attys. Even those can still cause problems for some people.

The eGo Mega Attys can only be used with the Mega carts, which hold just about 2ml of juice.

How you plug in a PT is going to depend on whether it's a 3.7V with an inline battery (they have a little black box on the cord) or a 5V PT which doesn't have the inline battery. 3.7V can be plugged into a USB port on your computer without a problem. 5V PT should only be plugged into a wall adapter with a 5V rating. You can usually find these at BestBuy or other computer/electronics stores and online. 5V PT should never be plugged into the USB port on a computer because they can damage the computer's motherboard. With both types of PT's you should only use standard attys. LR and HV atomizers will ruin them.

DawnsDone

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2011
Derry NH
Awesome info from everyone. You've cleared up a lot! thanks for all ur help.

Since I do love the 510, and now understand more about atty's, LR and battery life, I'm going to order the riva batteries and a ego pass-through to go with the 510 atty and carts I already have and ditch the kr8 idea all together. I'll probably get a mega 510 for when I want a stick style when I order a 510 kit for my daughter. SO basically I can turn my 510 into an ego for the price of an $11 riva battery!

I really like the idea that you can start out with a 510 that feels more like an analog and only need buy the ego/riva battery and cone cover and boom you've got a whole new upgraded piece! I think this is the best recommendation ever for a newbie since they start out wanting the stick but soon realize they need longer battery life and don't have to go buy everything all over again! AND, you can just use the stick style when you're out and about and don't want something so big and obvious! The parts being interchangeable is key. I mean really, I can have a stick style short or long batt, manual or auto batt, I can use cartomizers or cartridges without adapters, I can get the thick ego style batteries for heavy vaping for only $11 more. Basically with the 510 you can customize it to whatever your vaping style is, and newbies don't know their vaping style til they start!

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
DawnsDone - There is one vendor that I think got kicked off this forum for accidentally selling someone bulk pure nicotine (very dangerous) instead of the mixer's strength of 100mg/ml or 48mg/ml it was supposed to be. And then there are some fancy rebranders that are ripoffs, selling uncommon or even substandard PVs under their own name, sometimes with crippled carts or cartos, and charging as much as $50 for a battery.

DawnsDone

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2011
Derry NH
DawnsDone - There is one vendor that I think got kicked off this forum for accidentally selling someone bulk pure nicotine (very dangerous) instead of the mixer's strength of 100mg/ml or 48mg/ml it was supposed to be. And then there are some fancy rebranders that are ripoffs, selling uncommon or even substandard PVs under their own name, sometimes with crippled carts or cartos, and charging as much as $50 for a battery.

=0 I'm happy that I have all the help of everyone here, I was a sucker that bought way overpriced stuff too, and would have kept buying it without this forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread