Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan Tittle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2013
Johnson City, TN, USA
xanderjuice.com
So I began tinkering with twisting kanthal. I wasn't expecting too much but I have to admit, I'm liking it quite a bit so far and in doing so, my SVD has found its way back into my hands.

Specs: 32g Twisted Kanthal - 10/9 Microcoil - 1.6Ω.

Running on an Octopus rba and will soon be making it's way over to my kayfun 3.1 Clone and my IGO-L.

Attachments

• TwistedMicrocoil16.jpg
    TwistedMicrocoil16.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 895

Jonathan Tittle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2013
Johnson City, TN, USA
xanderjuice.com
So far it's easily the best vape I've had, in terms of using Kanthal. Seems to really kick the flavor up a notch on even the simplest of builds. Now if it does this well for the kayfun, I'll be set. A bit surprised more people don't use this method given the short amount of time it takes with a dremel or drill (I feel a dremel works better).

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
So I began tinkering with twisting kanthal. I wasn't expecting too much but I have to admit, I'm liking it quite a bit so far and in doing so, my SVD has found its way back into my hands.

Specs: 32g Twisted Kanthal - 10/9 Microcoil - 1.6Ω.

Running on an Octopus RBA and will soon be making it's way over to my Kayfun 3.1 Clone and my IGO-L.

If you haven't done so already, be sure and try a parallel wire coil as well. Just cut a 5 and 1/2 inch piece and fold it at the half way point, then wrap both wires side by side as if you were wrapping one wire. It provides a little more surface area that way and I slightly prefer it - ymmv and all that.

Jonathan Tittle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2013
Johnson City, TN, USA
xanderjuice.com
How do u twist the kanthal? And what size is the coil 1/16?

Me wonders the same - twisting????

I use a dremel with the sanding bit attached since it has a screw in the center. I measure out about 2-3 feet, even them out in terms of exact length, and then twist each end slightly. I then raise the screw on the sanding bit, wrap a bit of the kanthal around the screw, much like you'd wrap a lead around a post, and then tighten it down. I take the other end and either wrap it around a key ring (threading it like you would a key) or a pair of pliers.

Once both of these are in place, I'll turn the dremel on low and pulse in one hand while keeping the wire straight with the other using the key ring until I see the wires twisting. As you pulse, the overall length of the kanthal is going to get shorter, so you have to make sure you're not pulling them hard, rather, allow them kanthal to shrink as it needs to while you continue to pulse. If you pull too hard, it's going to snap on one end and you could potentially get hit with the wire - so it's important to go slow and not use the high setting.

You'll know it's pretty much done when the two pieces of wire look like they're one twisted pair. The twists will be tiny and should be even across the entire length of the wire. When it's done, it looks as if it's one solid piece that's been etched. If done right, there won't be any kinks or imperfections.

I managed to get it right the second time. My first piece snapped.

The wire in the picture is 32g Kanthal wrapped on a 1/16" allan key, but a drill bit works the same. The key is all I had on-hand at the time of wrapping. I've tried using 3 and 4 pieces of 32 but they don't work as well and they are not as flexible, so wrapping a coil becomes hard to do.

None of the wire is torched, but I suppose you could do that before to strengthen the wire a bit and allow it to be more malleable when it comes time to wrap.

Jonathan Tittle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2013
Johnson City, TN, USA
xanderjuice.com
If you haven't done so already, be sure and try a parallel wire coil as well. Just cut a 5 and 1/2 inch piece and fold it at the half way point, then wrap both wires side by side as if you were wrapping one wire. It provides a little more surface area that way and I slightly prefer it - ymmv and all that.

Got a few pictures? I'd love to see how it looks. I've just started experimenting with different wire setups to see what is possible.

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
Last edited:

Jonathan Tittle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2013
Johnson City, TN, USA
xanderjuice.com
As soon as my 28g comes in I believe I'm going to give it a go. Right now, all I have on-hand is 32g due to the oh-so-many micro-coil builds I've done the past 2-3 weeks on various atty's (not just mine).

@jerms - Looks nice & neat! What was the coil wrapped on and what did it come out to?

I stand by my Dremel over a drill only because it's rather easy to hook into and I don't have to use a paperclip. There's nothing wrong with a paperclip, but the screw of the sanding bit keeps the wire secure without any potential for something to come out as that bit is in there as secure as can be.

Vwls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
AZ
I am hooked on twisted Kanthal. It's so easy and makes the best single coil set ups in my opinion, especially if you like to sub ohm.

By the way - you don't have to put the hook or clip in the end of the drill as shown in the video. You can just stick the end of the doubled wire right in there, and tighten the chuck directly on it. Holds it just fine. Then hold the other end with needle nose pliers and twist till tight.

I usually twist up a nice long piece to last for many many builds.

Lately, I've been twisting 26 gauge. Kick-ss coils with 5 wraps on a 3/32 drill bit - get you right into the sweet range (between .3 to .5).

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
I am hooked on twisted Kanthal. It's so easy and makes the best single coil set ups in my opinion, especially if you like to sub ohm.

By the way - you don't have to put the hook or clip in the end of the drill as shown in the video. You can just stick the end of the doubled wire right in there, and tighten the chuck directly on it. Holds it just fine. Then hold the other end with needle nose pliers and twist till tight.

I usually twist up a nice long piece to last for many many builds.

Lately, I've been twisting 26 gauge. Kick-ss coils with 5 wraps on a 3/32 drill bit - get you right into the sweet range (between .3 to .5).

I'm right behind you. Twisted 30GA on 3/32" in the 0.9 to 1.7 ohm range.

I'm experimenting again w/ 1/16" ID about 11 wraps at 1.3 ohms. Does anyone else find it challenging to get adequate wicking through long 1/16" coil?

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
@jerms - Looks nice & neat! What was the coil wrapped on and what did it come out to?

Wrapped on a nail, somewhere around 1.5mm to 1.8mm ID. At 12 wraps it came out to 1.2 ohms. Heat up time was slow on a mech, a little better on a VAMO but still fairly slow. If I made it again I would use less wraps, maybe shoot for 0.8 ohm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread