Low Ω coil advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dropmyload

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2017
So I have a Pico Squeeze that I run using either a Samsung 30Q or a Sony VCT 6. Mooch rates both those batteries at 15A.

I recently built a parallel coil that came in at 0.2Ω and am scared to use it on the Squeeze because simple Ohms law says I'll be drawing 18.5A which is above the battery rating.

However, I read somewhere the Squeeze maxes out at 50W, so that would effectively drop me to 13.5A.

Any clarity on the above matter? All advice will be welcome.

Further, I am using the 0.2Ω coil on my regulated squonker, where I understand the board controls the draw so I shouldn't worry too much. Is this true? Is that low a coil safe on a regulated mod with those batteries?

I'm thinking of just building something with higher Ωs and save myself the agony...

Reactions: stols001

Zakillah

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2015
Vienna
On a regulated your amp draw is determined by the Watts you set it and the Voltage of your battery. Easy to calculate, its just Watts divided by Voltage. In this case 50/3 as worst case if your battery is near empty.

Also 0,2 Ohm on a Mech calculated with 4 Volts you´d be drawing 80 Watts at 20 Amps.

I don't know how the Pico Squeeze exactly works, so I cant really help you there. But in general; the battery wont explode just because you use it at a slightly higher Amp draw then the CDR. Not that its necessary/advisable to do that, because there really is no reason to. Either rebuild a little higher or get some Sony VTC5As or other 20A+ batteries.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
So I have a Pico Squeeze that I run using either a Samsung 30Q or a Sony VCT 6. Mooch rates both those batteries at 15A.

I recently built a parallel coil that came in at 0.2Ω and am scared to use it on the Squeeze because simple Ohms law says I'll be drawing 18.5A which is above the battery rating.
correct. You risk damaging your batteries. Don’t do it.
However, I read somewhere the Squeeze maxes out at 50W, so that would effectively drop me to 13.5A.

Any clarity on the above matter? All advice will be welcome.
sounds like a fragile rumor to place trust in. The consequences could be dire
Further, I am using the 0.2Ω coil on my regulated squonker, where I understand the board controls the draw so I shouldn't worry too much. Is this true? Is that low a coil safe on a regulated mod with those batteries?
It is true. To make the thing actually work you will be hitting the boost feature of your board really hard though and will run through your batteries very fast
I'm thinking of just building something with higher Ωs and save myself the agony...
That is what I personally would do. Wire is cheap and that coil doesn’t fit your mods very well

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
The squeeze is one those odd mechanical/regulated hybrids so it's hard to say, as I'm not sure when it tops out at 50 watts how this is achieved electrically. One would have to assume that your calculation on the amp draw at this wattage is correct.

As for the CDR, if you fully read both of Mooch's reviews of these two cells the 15amp rating is temperature dependent. As long as you do not exceed 70c for the Samsung at 80c for the Sony they are effectively 20 amp cells. Make your own interpretation of this, but I would imagine you would have to be working the cells extremely hard to achieve these higher temperatures. I don't chain vape myself and exclusively use dual battery mods so I consider my 30Qs to have a 20 amp CDR.

On a regulated device the wattage you select and the remaining voltage in the battery are the deciding factors in amp draw, not the coil resistance.

Ohms/Watts Law - Calculating safe amp usage | E-Cigarette Forum

Bench Retest Results: Samsung 30Q 3000mAh 18650…a great 15A/20 battery!

Bench Retest Results: Sony VTC6 15A 3000mAh 18650…a fantastic 15A/20A battery!

Kazuko

May 17, 2018
France

Pulling slightly more than the CDR isn't especially unsafe, it'll just drain your battery very hard, thus making it age bad, and as it gets used and abused, it'll only get harder on it. If it's a two years old battery, don't run this build on it. If it's a fresh cell, it'll just make it age bad, so not advisable, but it won't make it vent or anything (assuming the wrap is fine, insulating ring is in place, and your coils don't short on your RDA, of course).
That being said, you should try and stay within your cell's CDR, it'll make it last longer (not speaking about cycle time, but cycle counts)

I don't know this mod, can't help you there. I wouldn't rely on it though, treat it like a true mech, you'll be better off that way.

Yes it is true, the watts don't depend on the resistance, if you want to pull 40W, that's 40W, no matter the build. Make sure the wattage you use is safe for your cell though

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

:thumb:

I think on a Direct Output device like the Pico Squeeze, or something like an AIO, I would just treat it like a Mech Mod. And apply Ohms Law.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany

hard to say, as I'm not sure when it tops out at 50 watts how this is achieved electrically
The 50W is a manufacturer recommendation communicated only by words. It apparently (sry, forgot which thread) isn't enforced electronically at all, the mod will go way over that. The internals won't like it though so it's best to try to stay below that soft limit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread