lower nicotine = increased sleepiness???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zenfrogs

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2010
Virginia
I recently lowered my nicotine level to 6mg and it did not seem to affect my cravings at all. Around the same time I noticed that I have been sleeping A LOT ... I’m talking 12 or more hours a day. Did anyone else have this happen? I am considering upping my mg. level just to feel normal again. Seems to me that they could be connected since nicotine act as a stimulant. what do y’all think?

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Sorry no one responded, but I could see that happening. I know when I used to smoke and, for instance, was driving a long distance and started to get tired, I always smoked a lot more. Whether that helped keep me awake or whether the subconscious use of the activity of smoking helped to reduce the desire to sleep, I'm not sure.

It might pay to get some liquid that you wouldn't need to have the nic content so abruptly. People like Tasty Vapor sell 1 oz bottles with nicotine up to 48mg and 4 oz bottles with no nicotine. What I did was I worked my nic level down slowly, not that I really personally cared about nic level. I just wanted to removed anything that encouraged the hand to mouth habit that I think was more of a challenge for me. I hardly vape at all anymore, more a social vaper than a habit vaper.

It also is possible that you were just overly tired. Another thing you could try is something like those little bottles they sell at convenience stores, those five hour jolts. I happen to like having one of them with me when I have a long drive (I live in PA but own a home in SW VA and it's a good 7-8 hour hike). I've found they work wonders when you're tired. Maybe something like that if you're trying to reduce nic content.

Visinedrops

Nov 14, 2010
Wenatchee, WA
Regarding your sleepiness and lower nic content; Yes, you will feel more sleepy and/or sleep more when reducing the nicotine intake you are used to. I've tried quitting smoking 3 times before, and have used the patch all three times. I noticed that I was sleeping more, and was more sleepy/groggy during the day. This is a natural reaction to withdrawal symptoms.

As you reduce the intake of nicotine, your brain must produce the chemicals naturally that the nicotine helped to stimulate. The ending result is a feeling of either restlessness (can't sleep/light sleep/bizarre dreams) or that of utter crashing (sleeping 12-14 hours, taking frequent naps, feeling groggy or unfocused).

These symptoms will go away in time, and during my 5 months of smoke-free living, I noticed that my sleep pattern changed dramatically throughout a matter of a couple months. By month 4 I was sleeping about 7 hours a night, and felt rather normal, aside from the depression I realized I was experiencing (which, by the way, is why I started smoking again).

Hope that helps.

Tuesday

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
USA
I have noticed that I am much more tired and want naps/sleep more at night. My old pattern was to wake up, gulp down 4 cups of coffee and smoke one cigarette after another until I felt awake. Then I would feel very energetic and rush around to get ready for work or do tasks at home. It all sounds so hectic now. I am down to 12mg and will stay there for awhile. I do not know if it was all the coffee and cigarettes that made me "feel" more energy or not. It is of concern to feel tired alot now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread