Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
I'm sure I will. I just hope has everything I need by the time he re-stocks the shelves. It ain't cheap shipping here ya know.

Have you thought of emailing him the list of everything you'd like to have? Maybe he would set aside what he has currently and add other items as they come in. I know that he has been extremely helpful to me. Just a thought.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Ah... here we go... everything you ever wanted to know about switching vs linear voltage regulators

http://www.fer.hr/_download/repository/Linear___Switching_Voltage_Regulator_Handbook_(ON_Semiconductor).pdf

Switched IS extremely knowledgeable and helpful!! I might not always understand everything he says, but do generally get the idea and enjoy reading what he has to say.

Thank you Switched for all the time you spend explaining things!!
Thanks guys. Well I have just met my match LOLz.

I am going to have to read up on that VM, that is definitely not what I thought we were discussing.

mini_art

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2010
Florida USA
Frankly I am an electronics dummy LOL. However I do know enough to sort out who knows what they are talking about. When I chose the lr 901 atty to try on my Ego Ikan very nicely has it listed to work with the voltage? on my device. Very helpfull!! Many suppliers dont do that.
This has been the best choice I have made (for me) since I started vaping
I tried cartomizers , on all different batteries, they are great for when I am out and about.

For at home , which is most of the time for me, this atty has done the trick.

Switched thank you for explaining the matching voltage thing, I think I understood most of that LOL> I will keep reading as long as you keep educating us :) Someday I'll get it LOL

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
LOLz

I was recently in a conversation with an another vendor, who had nothing but praise for our beloved Isaac. So when that happens, you know that your decision to patronize an establishment over another was a good choice.

There are several things that have led me to IkenVape. I can't place my finger on any specifically, with the exception of the one that meant the most. He did not try to sell me anything, or anyone else for that matter. That my friend is a 10+ in my books.

Since the acquisition of my lizard and finding this fine bunch of folks, I am a happy vaper. I believe my enthusiasm may show a little too much at times, please forgive me, my heart is in the right place. But I am what I am, I like to share with friends to make their vaping experience as pleasurable and positive as folks made mine.

I would also like to extend to Isaac and Val (I believe, forgive me I am old) a hearty thank you for making this little niche a home away from home for us :D

Iken

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
PA,USA
I'm sure I will. I just hope has everything I need by the time he re-stocks the shelves. It ain't cheap shipping here ya know.
Ofcourse! What do you need? Make a list! I wanted to ask you to email me anyway!
LOLz

I was recently in a conversation with an another vendor, who had nothing but praise for our beloved Isaac. So when that happens, you know that your decision to patronize an establishment over another was a good choice.

There are several things that have led me to IkenVape. I can't place my finger on any specifically, with the exception of the one that meant the most. He did not try to sell me anything, or anyone else for that matter. That my friend is a 10+ in my books.

Since the acquisition of my lizard and finding this fine bunch of folks, I am a happy vaper. I believe my enthusiasm may show a little too much at times, please forgive me, my heart is in the right place. But I am what I am, I like to share with friends to make their vaping experience as pleasurable and positive as folks made mine.

I would also like to extend to Isaac and Val (I believe, forgive me I am old) a hearty thank you for making this little niche a home away from home for us :D
Switch,
I can't even convey into words what feelings you just gave and what they bloomed into.

Guys, I just don't know what to reply, I been staring here typing and back spacing, and Ii just don't know what to say. Thank you!! you so very much! You guys really know how to make a guy feel like he's on top of the world!

I was chattin with Andrew today from AW batteries about Limn and discharge rates with atomizers. He gave me this chart that maybe you all would enjoy.:)
23921905.jpg

He also said

"A LiMN can only be damaged by over discharging. If your application draw the battery down to the last draw, take the battery out and measure
the voltage ( if it shows less than 2.5V, it is damaged because it does not have a protection circuit ). Based on your supplied data, the
amperage draw is only 1.85A which falls in the comfortable range of a LiMN cell. Please see the attached discharge graph of an IMR16340
and see the discharge @ 2A."

Also, I was on with Caesar from the Precious today via skype, we both agreed on that both the LiMn batteries & 1.5Ω atomizers's lives are accelerated. The eGo battery has a runtime for 4 hours after 2 months of usage. The battery cells are estimated to fully die in 2-3 months top. There are places like Eastmall that sells these batteries in bulk and according to Janty's site, they will soon follow. So it's really a matter of acceptance. "Would you sacrifice some your battery's life for heightened feelings of vaping?" I Love the 901 to death but it did sever my Limn battery life permanently into half, just like Caesar's 510 1.5Ω. Really 4 hours is still good for me, with the unit being as small as it is.
Funny thing is, the 510 and 801 hasn't harmed a battery yet.

Switch, the battery in a Riva, David Y said he's making a 1300mah Lifep04, but Andrew says it can't be done because of capacity limits. Do you know how the Riva's battery compares to the eGo's?
eGo is supposed to have a output of 3.2v??

Last edited:

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Ofcourse! What do you need? Make a list! I wanted to ask you to email me anyway!

Switch,
I can't even convey into words what feelings you just gave and what they bloomed into.

Guys, I just don't know what to reply, I been staring here typing and back spacing, and Ii just don't know what to say. Thank you!! you so very much! You guys really know how to make a guy feel like he's on top of the world!

I was chattin with Andrew today from AW batteries about Limn and discharge rates with atomizers. He gave me this chart that maybe you all would enjoy.:)
23921905.jpg

He also said

"A LiMN can only be damaged by over discharging. If your application draw the battery down to the last draw, take the battery out and measure
the voltage ( if it shows less than 2.5V, it is damaged because it does not have a protection circuit ). Based on your supplied data, the
amperage draw is only 1.85A which falls in the comfortable range of a LiMN cell. Please see the attached discharge graph of an IMR16340
and see the discharge @ 2A."

Also, I was on with Caesar from the Precious today via skype, we both agreed on that both the LiMn batteries & 1.5Ω atomizers's lives are accelerated. The eGo battery has a runtime for 4 hours after 2 months of usage. The battery cells are estimated to fully die in 2-3 months top. There are places like Eastmall that sells these batteries in bulk and according to Janty's site, they will soon follow. So it's really a matter of acceptance. "Would you sacrifice some your battery's life for heightened feelings of vaping?" I Love the 901 to death but it did sever my Limn battery life permanently into half, just like Caesar's 510 1.5Ω. Really 4 hours is still good for me, with the unit being as small as it is.
Funny thing is, the 510 and 801 hasn't harmed a battery yet.

Switch, the battery in a Riva, David Y said he's making a 1300mah Lifep04, but Andrew says it can't be done because of capacity limits. Do you know how the Riva's battery compares to the eGo's?
eGo is supposed to have a output of 3.2v??

I believe you meant "death" vs lives.

To many the vaping experience is what they want, but at the same time will complain about reduced battery life. So it is life in the 21st century.

I do not have nor do I intend to posses a Riva or anything associated with it. I refuse to buy knock offs. This has painted a large target on me. I do not care. My performance, devices and accessories speak for themselves. No, I do not have money to burn, but I have learned a long time ago you get what you pay for, and I believe doing my way saves me money in the long run vs short term satisfaction.

I do not understand the whole battery chemistry thingy Isaac, so is it possible? I will categorically say this: The Chinese have made 1200 mAh batteries etc... and claimed them to be 1200 mAh batts, when in reality they are much lower.

Wrt overdrawing a battery, my metaphoric comparison to cholesterol build up and plaque is a good example of what is happening to your battery. You can eat healthy or eat fast food, which one leads to pushing daisies quicker.

Because of how we use our batts (outside of design safety considerations) I would not use a batt without protection. It would be like having sex without a condom with someone you picked up off the street. Oh, you had your fun for 20 min or so, but it only takes one session to ruin the rest of your life.

Although PCBs might fail, just like a broken rubber, the chances of over-discharging without one far exceed the chances of using them with.

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
Iken said:

Thank you for making us all so welcome here!

Because of how we use our batts (outside of design safety considerations) I would not use a batt without protection. It would be like having sex without a condom with someone you picked up off the street. Oh, you had your fun for 20 min or so, but it only takes one session to ruin the rest of your life.

Although PCBs might fail, just like a broken rubber, the chances of over-discharging without one far exceed the chances of using them with.

For a counterpoint regarding unprotected LiMN batts. My only real concern is putting it on a short circuit and ruining the batt itself and some of the componentry (like the tiny little push-button tact switch) in that circuit. With other battery chemistries, there's a real concern of it bursting into flames. It's happened. PCBs can help avoid the conditions that cause that type of failure mode, but can't stop it from happening entirely.

I think LiMNs won't burst into flames no matter what. At least that's my understanding, maybe I'm wrong.

Over-discharging the LiMN during normal use won't really happen. Performance would fall unacceptably low long before the batt was over-discharged. It could happen if the button was pressed and held accidentally. That could ruin the battery and/or the atty. If the atty "popped" to create an open circuit, the battery could be spared, otherwise the battery would be over-discharged and ruined.

I'm more concerned with exceeding the max discharge rate when using the regular li-ion batts and LR attys, and that excess triggering the dangerous failure mode in the worst case.

Staying well within the max discharge rate and the safe LiMN chemistry arguably add up to more protection than protected li-ions provide.

All that is why I'm hesitant to use li-ion batts in the unvented Chameleon. I have done it, and do get longer runtime with cartos... but still wary of the battery going bad in a really bad way... and that being made all the worse in a tightly sealed piped.

Wow, that's got an excess of doom and gloom in it ;)

On a cheerier note, Smooth8 in an Iken LR510 is heavenly.

mini_art

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2010
Florida USA
Ok all you geniuse electronic experts , give a lady a hand here please?
I am thinking of getting mod when my Ego batteries die, and they surely will.
3.7 is fine for me , I dont want high voltage .
It needs to be very small and round, and it needs to run the lr901 atty with the capability of occasionally running the 801 or 510 atty, It needs to be safe,
Is there such a thing? Where would I find it? I guess I am basically asking, is there a mod that is simular or even close in size to the Ego that takes protected batteries instead of the Ego battery.
I am such an electronics dummy. Please help LOL

Last edited:

Iken

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
PA,USA
If you would like something (I believe to be small) small and discreet. There's always the BB from AltSmoke.com | Personal Vaporizers | Electronic Cigarette | Ecigs | The BB. It takes a 14500 battery that will produce a 5-8 hour run time and since. There is also an alternative Electronic Cigarette / eCig Starter Set Storm - Quality ecigs from Aqua Vapor Cig I'm not too sure on the device itself, but the specs say pretty solid but heard great things about their service. Altsmoke I know personally and are definitely good people.

mini_art

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2010
Florida USA
Thanks Iken, LOL. The one I liked from those 2 is of course sold out ! It figures.
Thing is , I wish people would put an object for point of reference in photos. You really can tell how big these things are from the pics. I ended up buying my Ego partly because someone stuck a dime on the end of it so I could actually gauge how big it was,

Not a big deal for most perhaps, but I have small hands so it matters to me.

I really appreciate the help !! Thanks!

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
Not a big deal for most perhaps, but I have small hands so it matters to me.

If you intend to get a Chameleon but just can't wait, you might think about getting one that takes the same kind of batts.

My backup MOD is a Mini-VapeStack. It takes a 16340 batt just like the Chameleon and is also small. Has different proportions though, more short and squat. I too have small hands and both MODs are comfortable for me. In fact, I got that one while waiting for the Chameleon to come back into stock after the volcano in Iceland had disrupted lizard migrations from Europe to North America :)

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
Ok all you geniuse electronic experts , give a lady a hand here please?
I am thinking of getting mod when my Ego batteries die, and they surely will.
3.7 is fine for me , I dont want high voltage .
It needs to be very small and round, and it needs to run the lr901 atty with the capability of occasionally running the 801 or 510 atty, It needs to be safe,
Is there such a thing? Where would I find it? I guess I am basically asking, is there a mod that is simular or even close in size to the Ego that takes protected batteries instead of the Ego battery.
I am such an electronics dummy. Please help LOL

My personal suggestion is to simply wait until the Chameleon is available again. I know exactly what you mean. I had my Ego for about 3 months and wanted a mod for exact same reasons as you do. After seeing a Youtube video by GrimmGreen and a written review by Switched, I was convinced that the Chameleon was the one. I waited for over a month before it became available and it was definitely worth the wait. You can easily use 510, 901 and 801 atties by simply exchanging one of the three adapters included with the unit. My AW batteries last me about the same amount of time as my Ego batts and are obviously much more cost effective to replace. IMHO, if you are looking for an all-in-one package, look no further. And btw, Isaac is just awesome to do business with.

mini_art

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2010
Florida USA
Vapor thank you so much for the pictures. That really does make it so much easier to determine the sizes!
Voporologist , I may well just wait as I am not in a hurry. My Ego bats should last quite a while yet but I am thinking the next one will be a mod and I should start looking before the ones I have now take a dump LOL>

Thank you both!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread