Lung Inhale vs Mouth Inhale

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
I'm totally blown away by the number of people on this thread that said that they used to mouth hit analogs.
I'm an older guy, let's say 50+. I've known, met and seen thousands of people smoking analogs over the years.
In all my years, I've never seen one of those smokers do a mouth hit, usually a massive deep lung inhale,
especially on the first few drags. Molecules from tobacco get absorbed much faster in the lungs.

I can understand taking mouth hits on strong cigar tobacco. Ever inhaled a cigar four to five times in a row?
Better be sitting down.

Well, I'm not that old a dog. I learn something new everyday. Mouth vape, lung vape, nasal vape; as long
as we're vaping. Vape on, my friends.... Ed
Interesting. My experience was the exact opposite, everyone I knew did mouth to lung inhales smoking cigarettes, I would see them pause, then breathe in, and blow out. Perhaps a local culture thing?

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
So are you calling lung inhale something where you suck directly into lungs without letting it hang out in your mouth for a second? Is mouth inhaling just suck into mouth, hold it there a minute and blow out never to go into lungs? I really never paid attention to how I inhaled - until now. This is interesting.
Typically it's either a mouth to lung hit (MTL) or a straight to lung (STL) hit most people do. But as you see in these responses some do both, and a few don't inhale to lungs at all they just draw into mouth and exhale through mouth and nose.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
with the resistance on a cigarette or pv how the hell do you lung inhale wihout flooding the tank, also a cigarette isn't made to be inhaled directly into the lungs with the filters on them etc you would spend more energy trying to draw the air through the cigarette with your lungs instead of using the suction of your mouth to draw in the air.
When I was using Bottom Feeders, I'd drill the holes larger for increased air flow. The new generation of Tanks like the Crown have adjustable airflow and when wide open is airy and very suitable to lung inhales.

When I smoked Analogs, I was MTL. With Vaping I go directly to the Lungs.

BreilaRose

Aug 22, 2015
Was always MTL with analogs, and then with the first few devices I had. But once I got the Kanger Subtank Mini, there was just too much airflow to get a satisfying vape MTL. Tried direct lung hits, and though it was weird at first, it was much more satisfying.

Now it is habit. I MTL with my EMOW, and DL with my Subox. I don't even think about it.

Reactions: David Wolf

Steve Amor

Oct 16, 2015
I used to inhale directly to my lungs with cigarettes. But have changed to the mouth way with vaping. The cloud is denser with vapor therefore when I did a direct lung inhale with vaping I ended up in a huge coughing fit. So I switched to the mouth before inhaling and it stopped the coughing. Not entirely sure why it works but it does. 4 weeks of vaping this way its natural to me now, not awkward like it was when I first started vaping.
I hope you see this... You were smoking before you vaped thats why you cough when you lung hit. It seems nonsense but let me explain. When smoking cig, you get something we call sweepers on the part near your larynx and trachea. Vapor travels in it and the sweepers get contacts from the vapor. The tendency is that the sweepers move when touched by the vapor and cause coughing. That is normal for people who just started lung hitting.

Reactions: Julitor

Steve Amor

Oct 16, 2015
  • Deleted by retired1

John McLaughlin

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2015
I MTL'd on analogs and with the other stuff. Been vaping and analog free for a month .
I'm glad i found this forum because one of [the first i went to] my local B&M's INSISTED DL was how it was done .
There were other service disappointments. Found another better B&M luckily.
So as it is I'm doing kind of a hybrid sort of circular breathing like a horn player to keep the air flowing and rolling it round in my mouth , some goes into my lung and I half cover the drip tip for extra taste . Now I'm wondering if top air flow is for flavor chasers ?
Haven't tried a top air flow yet .

beninu

Sep 28, 2012
Denmark
I'm totally blown away by the number of people on this thread that said that they used to mouth hit analogs.
I'm an older guy, let's say 50+. I've known, met and seen thousands of people smoking analogs over the years.
In all my years, I've never seen one of those smokers do a mouth hit, usually a massive deep lung inhale,
especially on the first few drags. Molecules from tobacco get absorbed much faster in the lungs.

I can understand taking mouth hits on strong cigar tobacco. Ever inhaled a cigar four to five times in a row?
Better be sitting down.

Well, I'm not that old a dog. I learn something new everyday. Mouth vape, lung vape, nasal vape; as long
as we're vaping. Vape on, my friends.... Ed

I think your definition of a mouth hit is different than other opinions.

mouth hit = drawing vapor or smoke to only the capacity of your mouth then inhale to your lungs (not to inhale only in your mouth and blow out)

Lung hit = like hitting a joint, sucking in vapor/smoke by the lungs reaching the entire capacity of you lungs with vapor/smoke.

I only met one person my life that ever lung hit a cigarette, when I'd see him smoke a cig like that it made me want to puke.

Exactly. I also saw this post and thought to myself: This guy are talking about "teen-girl-smoking" when he's talking about "mouth hit", while the rest of the forum agree on the fact that both mouth inhales and direct lung inhales end up in the lungs. The difference is the technique, wheather you start by making a vacuum in your mouth to get the smoke into the mouth before starting to inhale (mouth hit), or if you simply close your lips around the cigarette and inhale as if you simply breathe in to make the smoke go directly to the lungs without building it up in the mouth first.

I also know of the studies that show that vaped nicotine are primarily absorbed in the mouth. But I think that the reason direct lung inhalers feel the still get a fine nicotine buzz from DLI, is that you get so much more vape that way. There's a limit to how much vape you can build up in your mouth before you have to inhale, so that ends up being the volume of your mouth (so to speak), whereas the direct lung inhales are only limited by how deep a breath you can take, and if you exhale fully before starting a direct lung inhale you have the full capacity of your lungs to fill. With a mouth hit you also see that when people inhale the smoke/vape it leaves the mouth immediately and the rest of the inhale is only air. That means that there is so much more nicotine in the lungs when you use a DLI and that somehow compensates for not having it in the mouth for a second or two before inhaling it (as you do with a mouth hit). Besides when you DLI the massive amounts of smoke/vape that passes through your mouth are bound to leave a lot of nicotine molecules on it's way through your mouth and since you keep a steady flow of vape/smoke when doing a DLI the cavities of your mouth is constantly impacted by the nicotine filled smoke/vape for as long as you are inhaling more vape through your mouth and down into the lungs.
So to conclude you probably economize more with your e-liquid with mouth hits as you give it time to absorb from the tounge and mucous membranes under your tounge, on the insides of your cheeks and your pharyngolaryngeal mucous membranes in the back of your mouth and in the upper (visible) parts of the throat, whereas direct lung inhalers expose the same areas to a constant flow of the same molecules passing by on their way to the lungs so even if it doesn't absorb from the lungs (which I found doubtful), there will still be plenty absorbing of nicotine from the mouth areas, but you'll probably also waste a lot of e-liquid if your only purpose is to get as much nicotine in your blood stream as possible. But in my experience, the inhale method is also about taste and getting the sensation that comes when you fill your lungs completely with vape/smoke. Personally I think, the taste is quite different when you DLI as opposed to when you do a mouth hit. I can't say that one is better than the other - it depends on the taste of the e-liquid I'm vaping.

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
Sub-Ohm direct lung inhale gives me the same feeling I got from smoking with just a few draws on my vape, mouth to lung whether at sub-ohm levels or above can but I'd have to vape a lot more to get that same feeling.

For me
Lung hit = 3-4 puffs per session
Mouth to lung = 10-15 puffs per session.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread