Lung Inhale vs Mouth Inhale

Status
Not open for further replies.

calvinguy

Sep 6, 2013
Canada
I notice that people have been giving advice to use mouth inhaling instead of lung inhaling. For me I was always a mouth inhaler and I didn't even know lung inhaling was an option. Even when I smoked cigs I would draw the smoke into my mouth first before inhaling. I always thought this was the norm, but apparently the majority of people do lung inhales when smoking cigs. So I was wondering what was your inhaling method when smoking cigs and has it changed since you started vaping?

Reactions: David Wolf

nova_did_it

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Glendale, AZ, USA
I used to inhale directly to my lungs with cigarettes. But have changed to the mouth way with vaping. The cloud is denser with vapor therefore when I did a direct lung inhale with vaping I ended up in a huge coughing fit. So I switched to the mouth before inhaling and it stopped the coughing. Not entirely sure why it works but it does. 4 weeks of vaping this way its natural to me now, not awkward like it was when I first started vaping.

eHuman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
San Diego
I mouth inhaled analogs, and ecigs at first. If you have a tight draw you almost have to mouth inhale. To take advantage of a lung hit you need more air flow. Most everyone talking about better performance with a larger air hole is lung hitting. If you mouth hit with a large air hole, it will seem too airy.

Recon Number 54

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
McKinney, TX
I am a former cigar smoker and so, I inhale into my mouth, let it settle, then either inhale into my lungs or expel/exhale through my mouth or nose. Since vaping and cigar smoking are similar in many ways, the taste is important and the nicotine is absorbed quickly by the mucous membranes of the mouth and sinuses, I didn't have to change my draw method much (if at all) from how I smoked cigars.

My wife was a 2 PAD cigarette smoker and her inhalation technique is very different. Because of the differences in alkalinity, the nicotine in cigarette smoke is absorbed better in the lungs than via the mouth. And so, her draw is short, hard, and deep straight into her lungs. She's been inhaling that way for over 30 years and it's completely automated and an unconscious process for her. She didn't (and couldn't) change her method when she switched to vaping.

So comparing our two methods, I would say that it has two major factors in play. Taste and delivery systems.

I can taste subtle flavors more easily than she does since the vapor is where my taste-buds and sinuses are, she only gets to taste vapor as it passes quickly through her mouth and as she exhales. As a result, she tries my juices and finds them "muted" or "too light and subtle". Her liquids are overpowering (in taste) to me.

As far as delivery systems, my draw really lends itself well to a Carto-Tank. The long draw (I can be taking a really long draw and my mod will "safety time out" due to firing for "too long") means that I am making a nice prolonged gentle low pressure and the carto in my tank delivers consistently to the coils. If my wife uses a carto-tank, she makes such low-pressure over the coils that even with a single-laser hole in the carto, it is "pulling" juice in from the tank faster than the coils are cooking it and more than the fill material can absorb. As a result, my wife is capable of flooding the cartos in a Carto-Tank in a couple of minutes.

So, we've got her filling and saturating those gigantic Dual-Coil Mega Cartos (no tank please) and it "works for her" and her strongly flavored liquids.

In my house (to answer your question) no one has altered their inhale, but rather found hardware and wetware that best supports our personal inhalation method.

calvinguy

Sep 6, 2013
Canada
I am a former cigar smoker and so, I inhale into my mouth, let it settle, then either inhale into my lungs or expel/exhale through my mouth or nose. Since vaping and cigar smoking are similar in many ways, the taste is important and the nicotine is absorbed quickly by the mucous membranes of the mouth and sinuses, I didn't have to change my draw method much (if at all) from how I smoked cigars.

My wife was a 2 PAD cigarette smoker and her inhalation technique is very different. Because of the differences in alkalinity, the nicotine in cigarette smoke is absorbed better in the lungs than via the mouth. And so, her draw is short, hard, and deep straight into her lungs. She's been inhaling that way for over 30 years and it's completely automated and an unconscious process for her. She didn't (and couldn't) change her method when she switched to vaping.

So comparing our two methods, I would say that it has two major factors in play. Taste and delivery systems.

I can taste subtle flavors more easily than she does since the vapor is where my taste-buds and sinuses are, she only gets to taste vapor as it passes quickly through her mouth and as she exhales. As a result, she tries my juices and finds them "muted" or "too light and subtle". Her liquids are overpowering (in taste) to me.

As far as delivery systems, my draw really lends itself well to a Carto-Tank. The long draw (I can be taking a really long draw and my mod will "safety time out" due to firing for "too long") means that I am making a nice prolonged gentle low pressure and the carto in my tank delivers consistently to the coils. If my wife uses a carto-tank, she makes such low-pressure over the coils that even with a single-laser hole in the carto, it is "pulling" juice in from the tank faster than the coils are cooking it and more than the fill material can absorb. As a result, my wife is capable of flooding the cartos in a Carto-Tank in a couple of minutes.

So, we've got her filling and saturating those gigantic Dual-Coil Mega Cartos (no tank please) and it "works for her" and her strongly flavored liquids.

In my house (to answer your question) no one has altered their inhale, but rather found hardware and wetware that best supports our personal inhalation method.

Interesting, seems like everyone has their own methods.

Leothwyn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2011
N. California
www.ci-studios.com
When I got my first ecig I was doing the lung inhale, and was wondering why the ecigs seemed so harsh. Not sure why I naturally went with lung inhale on the ecigs, because eventually, as I was smoking a cig one day I realized that I mouth inhale them.

Last edited:

Kellycat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2013
Cary, NC, USA
Digital or analog, I've always been a deep lung hitter. I feel I get best overall control (and IMO best flavor) of intake 'cause as I draw, I also take in air around the tip and da lips. I think the big difference between mouth & lung hitters is "do you seal your lips around the tip?"

Agreed with this, most of my drip tips are fairly thin, more like an analog or a mini cigar, and I don't seal my lips completely around them, didn't with my cigs either, so I take direct lung hits 99% of the time on my usual setups. Even sealing my lips on some tanks (here's looking at you Protank), I can easily manage a lung inhale and get a nice cloud at the same time due to how much airflow there is through the tank itself.

I mouth inhaled analogs, and ecigs at first. If you have a tight draw you almost have to mouth inhale. To take advantage of a lung hit you need more air flow. Most everyone talking about better performance with a larger air hole is lung hitting. If you mouth hit with a large air hole, it will seem too airy.

This is also quite accurate, I tried a mouth inhale on a few tanks and it was too airy, but when I started playing with drippers I leaned towards mouth inhales until I drilled the air holes out. Was the best way to get a full flavor and strong hit for me at any rate, without the enlarged hole.

To add my own observation and technique, while my inhale method is into the lungs, I no longer exhale like it was a traditional analog. Since the vapor is comparatively cool on the exhale and doesn't have all sorts of other crap in it, I exhale two streams of vapor, splitting it about 50/50 between my mouth and nose. I get the full taste of the liquid because of it passing through my nasal cavity as well as over my taste buds (for non-believers, either try it, or look up the linkage between smell and taste), get a better 'hit' (subjectively) as the nicotine in vapor appears to be absorbed through the soft tissues of the mouth and nose, plus with my minor diaphragm issue it allows me to fully exhale the entire contents of my lungs, unlike with analogs where I'd exhale through my mouth, take a breath, and then exhale more smoke because I couldn't clear my lungs fully. Not to mention it looks pretty cool with high-VG liquids and/or low-ohm coils, my gf's brother said I looked like a dragon when I was out on the porch with him for a 'smoke' break. He then promptly bummed my spare Ego/Evod off me to give it a try, and he may just be a convert now too.

Denrock316

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
Ohio, USA
Digital or analog, I've always been a deep lung hitter. I feel I get best overall control (and IMO best flavor) of intake 'cause as I draw, I also take in air around the tip and da lips. I think the big difference between mouth & lung hitters is "do you seal your lips around the tip?"

Yup nice big deep direct lung hits for me. I do seal my lips around the tip too. I did this when I smoked and continue to do it now with vaping. I even did this on the odd occasion that I would smoke a non-filtered. I've been doing it for years and am so used to it it's difficult for me to not inhale direct to lungs. If I stopped and concentrated and really thought about it with practice I'm sure I could change this, but nah, I enjoy vaping as I do it now no need to change it.

I generally mouth inhale. My technique involves drawing a mouthful and then quickly inhaling it into my lungs while immediately beginning another mouth draw. As I draw the second mouthful, I exhale the first hit though my nose. Finally, I inhale the second mouthful into my lungs and exhale to complete the vape. Generally my SVD times out just as I complete my second mouth inhale. I find this technique delivers maximum flavor and is very satisfying.

Slots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
Eastern Wa.
I only vape for the nicotine and both methods work equally well for nicotine absorption.

Sorry, but research has proven that the "vapor" molecules (steam), are too large for the lungs to use ...
Blood was tested before and after inhalation and the nicotine showed negative in the blood coming from the lungs.

The nicotine is absorbed by the lining of your mouth, throat, nasal passages, and sinuses.
That's why it takes longer for the nicotine is get to your brain.

Try slowly inhaling into your mouth, swishing it around like wine, and then slowly exhaling straight through your nose about 4 times in a row, and see how high of a "nicotine hit" you get within 10 minutes.
You don't even need to inhale ... ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread