The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Luxotic BF squonk owners

Discussion in 'Liquid Feed APV Discussion' started by AvaOrchid, Dec 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. AvaOrchid

AvaOrchid Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    20191220_134800.jpg
    Okay so I finally got the little gold pin in the luxotic BF out but it came at an angle unlike in every video I saw where it just sort of slid right out. It has a leaking problem quite common to the device. I tested it and mine did. Now I have a problem because I can't get in the thing to go back in. Thankfully I decided to try before I put it in glue.

What purpose does that pin serve because it doesn't seem to connect to anything. And I don't personally think I can get it back in there. Is it just there to keep 510 area squonk thingy from leaking or is it actually serving like a conductive purpose. I can probably try to flatten out the pin a little bit and stick it in some super glue and fit it back. But I know I can definitely fill the hole with some super glue without the PIN. I just don't really know what to do and I'm hoping I didn't just break my little device before I ever even got a chance to properly use it
    Please help

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Astron

Astron Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 24, 2014
    Washington
    Bump - I wish I could help you - I will also likely need to know for my own purposes. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. AvaOrchid

AvaOrchid Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    I spoke to someone a while back on the Forum who did not take the pin out they actually just put a silicone over the area to seal it they just reported back that it didn't work out very well. So hopefully your PIN will come out easily Honestly I'm going to have to reshape the pin and put it back and then I'm probably going to seal over it this time rather than trying to pull it put a sealant on it and then place it back. I don't have a final answer on this yet but if you can easily remove that pin it's fine to go ahead and do it just like all the videos where they just pull it out and put a dot of super glue on it and then they put it back in but practice putting it back in first :) if it's hard to get out I wouldn't suggest pulling it.

I don't honestly even know what the purpose of the pin is. If it's designed as a stopper first off it's a fantastic failure and second off that would mean it's not really necessary there just needs to be something to stop up that hole but I don't know if that's all it is I don't know if it serves an actual purpose other than that. I'll let you know if I come up with something :)

• Love Love x 1
  4. puffon

puffon Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    The pin keeps the whole 510 from pulling out of the mod.
    If you screw an atty on and pull, you'll see the whole 510 slide up, without the pin in there.
    You might have enough superglue in there to hold it without the pin tho...:)

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. AvaOrchid

AvaOrchid Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    This thing is whacked it's not budging from what I can tell when I pull the atomizer. It's probably crusty or something just pure stubbornness is holding this thing together Like it's still strongly fastened in there and I don't have the pin and I don't have any super glue I have nothing it's just a hole. Is it literally just a little thing attached to the one part that keeps the other part from moving upwards? Because if that's all it does then it doesn't really matter if that pin is all the way in there as long as it's far enough to keep it from moving out...right? because there's no way I'm going to be able to position this pin correctly. As it stands I'm going to have to go get some clamps and make this pin a little bit thinner because there's no way I'm going to position this in the amount of time that it's going to take for super glue to dry

6. AvaOrchid

AvaOrchid Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    Oh can I use a different something to shove in there to keep it from pulling out I'm about ready to throw the thing into a wall it was $6 if it wasn't so darn cute if it wasn't my favorite looking mod this thing would have been crunched by now.

• Like Like x 1
  7. puffon

Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Yes, that's all it does. Maybe some dried juice is holding everything together?

8. AvaOrchid

AvaOrchid Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    I've never actually used it until a few hours ago when I put some VG in the squonk bottle to see if mine did leak once I couldn't get the stupid pinout so I don't know if that could be what's happening it seems like there's a lot going on in this little box. I mean that little bit of solder below it would also keep it from being pulled out completely cuz that would hit the ledge too

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. puffon

Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    I also have a Luxotic Surface that was missing the pin.
    I made one out of a small brad nail. Once the cover is screwed back on, it holds the pin in place.
    I feel for you. The pin is very small. I used tweezers to put it in. Sounds like your pin and 510 is a tight fit.

10. BigPappa

BigPappa Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Fort Myers, FL
    I have 3 of them and have been putting off doing them... I will probably get to it within a week. I just hope mine is easier. Sorry I can't be of any help.

11. AvaOrchid

AvaOrchid Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    Well when my husband comes back from work today he's going to bring me some Loctite which will give me extra time compared to Superglue to properly position the pin back in. I don't really know the safety of Loctite in the mod but at this point I don't think I care I mean they use it in engines so I imagine it's prolly fine once fully dry

12. BigPappa

BigPappa Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Fort Myers, FL
    In the one video I posted in the "Are you done stocking up?" thread, he was using Loctite. That's what I bought as opposed to using dollartree superglue. I also bought Loctite clear silicone clear sealant and I am going to pack the electronics box with that once the pin is glued in place, just as an extra measure.

People use it on ceramic coffee cups and still drink coffee from it, so I am assuming it would not leech.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. AvaOrchid

AvaOrchid Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    Well that eases my mind. Yeah the Loctite thing came from the video that you posted and then when I asked my husband if he happened to have any silicone he said well I have Loctite at work will that work when he looked at everything I was doing and I said yeah let's do that so that's the route we're going as well let me know how it goes with sealing the whole thing when you get around to it

• Like Like x 1
  14. BigPappa

BigPappa Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Fort Myers, FL
    I'll probably be doing it on Xmas day. I will let you know.

• Love Love x 1
  15. b.m.

b.m. Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 30, 2014
    Ohio
    I would not suggest covering everything in silicone,it could cause excess heat buildup in the electronics and cause a premature failure.Simply sealing that pin is all that's needed.
    I've never sealed my pin yet,and have been using the mod for several months.Mine does leak pretty bad occasionally,but still works perfectly fine,so even if a tiny bit of juice would get past the sealed pin,which i doubt it will,i still don't think there would be an issue.

16. *RJ*

*RJ* Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Nov 28, 2015
    Vaping since 8/9/2012
    Mine auto fired due to the leaked liquid after only a couple hours of usage when it was brand new. Be careful. I will be sealing mine soon, although that mod will forever and a day scare me. It’ll be dark days with nothing else available that I will have the desire to pull it out of the stash.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. b.m.

Mar 30, 2014
    Ohio
    Yeah,i remember when you posted about that.Before that,i had never given any thought to sealing mine,but your incident did get me to decide i need to do it,i just never have yet.Mainly because i can't find my torx bits,and have been too busy to look for them.
    I have to say,i have been lucky though,i've had a few different squonk mods leak through the years,and was lucky that none ever auto fired,those ones just got real wonky on me,either the up/down buttons quit working,or the whole board would quit.I really like my Luxotics though,so will definitely get them sealed once i find the bits.
    As far as being scared on yours,once you pull it apart to seal it,since it already had juice on the board,i would use a swab and rub it down good with alcohol and let it all dry before putting it back together.I've had a few mods i had to clean up that way,and it fixed them right up,never any issues since,so i would definitely take that step.

• Like Like x 1
  18. BigPappa

BigPappa Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Fort Myers, FL
    I would be most concerned about the moisture being trapped between the plastic piece covering the fire button electronics that caused it to autofire. Not sure how you can make sure that is totally dry though.... maybe an eyedropper with rubbing alcohol and try to flush it out?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. BigPappa

BigPappa Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Fort Myers, FL
    I probably would not cover any chips with the silicone, but I would cover on and around the pin (after using loctite on it) and also try to form a barrier between where the pin is and the board and fire button.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. b.m.

Mar 30, 2014
    Ohio
    The eye dropper would probably be best option,then just turn the mod over to let the excess alcohol run out and let it dry before reassembling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.