Lynda's "Lucious"

Status
Not open for further replies.

marlboro_man

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
Across-the-Pond-England-UK
This one has been a year in the making. In order to avoid controversy, I've given it a new name but many of you will recognize it when you read the recipe. In the begining, it began as Ecopure "Rich" and morphed to an even richer version by a well known vendor. This is my take on the two.

First, you must mix a batch of ethyl maltol. I mix 30 mls at a time and pour app. 1/3 bottle of crystals and fill with PG. It takes a lot of shaking and soaking in hot water to dissolve all the crystals. I wait until the next day and if there are no crystals settled in the bottom, I put more crystals in and repeat. This recipe is always mixed at 70% VG 30% PG and must be mixed using 100% VG nic. Here's the recipe for a 10 ml bottle of "Luscious."

Luscious 10 ml 18 mg nic

1.8 ml VG 100 mg nicotine
1.2 ml EM (mixed as above instructions. This replaces plain PG)
7 ml VG

Sit back and watch the plumes engulf you!!!

Enjoy!

Hi Lynda.. I have a 15ml glass bottle of ethyl maltol crystals that I got from thepurfumers apprentice a long time ago..

In your description you say

"First, you must mix a batch of ethyl maltol. I mix 30 mls at a time and pour app. 1/3 bottle of crystals and fill with PG."

Does that mean fill a 30ml bottle to a third with ethyl maltol and then fill the empty space with PG.. shake,rattle & roll warm with

hottish water until crystals have dissolved and repeat?

What size bottle are we talking about or is there a USA standard sized bottle like eg Cup..

please can you let me know as I am making a batch now

so it all depends on what sized bottle you have?

Thank you Art :)

marlboro_man

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
I mix the crystals in a 30ml bottle with app. 1/3 of the 30ml filled with crystals, fill with PG heat, shake and you're good to go! Sorry I didn't see this sooner. The quickest way to dissolve is in a microwave for 10 seconds, no more than that.
Big thanks Lyndagayle I have it right now, I made some Yesterday and used a sit in hot water jug like a bain marie to soften the crystal and then shake I kept thinkong about the micro wave I will try that on the next batch..I have 1 sitting with vanilla pods in cut in 1" bits

Nepenthy

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
Cbus, Ohio
I'm a huge Eco pure fan, the wife would actually catch me habitually sniffing the bottles! With em I've found I can get reliable solution with 1/4 tsp per 20ml pg,shaken well and ultrasonic bath for 15 mins. Does not recrystallize even when cold. Math isn't my forte which isn't helping with diy juice. With that said I mixed a 24 mg nic batch with 30% em from above method and 5% tfa English toffee and I'm in heaven! Tastes exactly like the ecopure toffee mix I used to get from cignot. Thank you so much for this! My best diy ended up being the most simple mix.

Lyndagayle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Arkansas
I'm a huge Eco pure fan, the wife would actually catch me habitually sniffing the bottles! With em I've found I can get reliable solution with 1/4 tsp per 20ml pg,shaken well and ultrasonic bath for 15 mins. Does not recrystallize even when cold. Math isn't my forte which isn't helping with diy juice. With that said I mixed a 24 mg nic batch with 30% em from above method and 5% tfa English toffee and I'm in heaven! Tastes exactly like the ecopure toffee mix I used to get from cignot. Thank you so much for this! My best diy ended up being the most simple mix.

Glad you've found a flavor you really like! If you want the exact toffee used in Eco, it's Lorann's English Toffee. You're happy with that though and that's what counts!

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
Lynda, I am planning to dissolve the EM crystals in distilled water instead of in pg as an experiment. After all Ecopure reportedly does contain a substantial amount of water, apparently between 15 and 18%. Have you ever tried such a thing? I am guessing the amount of Water/EM should be less than the equivalent amount in pg since water absorbs more of the EM than Pg does. Any thoughts on that? I could use your experience :)

Nepenthy

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
Cbus, Ohio
Glad you've found a flavor you really like! If you want the exact toffee used in Eco, it's Lorann's English Toffee. You're happy with that though and that's what counts!

Lydagayle, thanks! Makes sense now, was wondering why mine didnt have a darker tint. FA Toffee is clear, LA Toffee is brown. Last night the wife asked if I had pulled old vaping gear out, as she was smelling burnt sugar again! Burnt sugar is a marked improvement compared to some of the names she'd given to some of my latest endeavors.

Lyndagayle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Arkansas
Lynda, I am planning to dissolve the EM crystals in distilled water instead of in pg as an experiment. After all Ecopure reportedly does contain a substantial amount of water, apparently between 15 and 18%. Have you ever tried such a thing? I am guessing the amount of Water/EM should be less than the equivalent amount in pg since water absorbs more of the EM than Pg does. Any thoughts on that? I could use your experience :)

I have no clue how that would work. It seems it would make for a very thin juice but maybe not if you use straight VG. Do post your findings. I have never used water in any of my mixes.

marlboro_man

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009

"I am planning to dissolve the EM crystals in distilled water"

Hello IMHO. I think as long as you then use VG in its natural 100% Viscosity then it should not be to thin? after all It is a vape machine

not a steam machine :) although the process is similar ...

I could be totally wrong,,!!! :laugh: OTOH I would try the process without the EM crystals and see if it vapes without damaging the coil etc

We wouldn't want to waste precious hard earned etc :)

Ta2ooz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2013
Langley B.C. Canada
Just made up a batch,but all I had was 50/50 100mg, so I just added a ml more VG I know it will reduce my nic level a bit but WTH, I vapes it up and it's pretty good if I do say so myself. Just wanted to say thanks and ask what kind of percentages of flavours I should be adding? I'm thinking Creme de menth, just to see what happens. Oh and what kind of steep should this stuff have?

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
Lyndagale, I tried a version of your recipe using distilled water instead of pg and It turned out pretty well if I say so myself. It even improved the throat hit a bit by increasing the vapor production hitting the throat. Here is what I did:

I first diluted the VG with 18% distilled water and then added some EM crystals letting it sit for a few days, shaking and using hot water baths occasionally. Then added enough Nic base to bring the solution to 12mg. If you prefer more EM in your vape than I do, all you have to do is dissolve the crystals in distilled water instead of the diluted vg. You can then use the mixture as part of the 18% water you are adding to the vg. As I said before, water seems to somehow increase the throat hit, if that is what you are into.

Ta2ooz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2013
Langley B.C. Canada
I know this thread is kinda oldish but I just ordered everything I need for this- it'll be my first attempt at DIY!

I go through a lot of a particular version of this, it's become my all day, every day and I'm really hoping I can make this work to save some cash :)
It's good and really mild I find it perfect for the times when my flavours aren't popping, I wind it an excellent palate cleanser, very happy I found this DIY.

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
Mixin' up big batches right now...with a twist.

One 30ml batch of 'flavoring' is "as written", using 9 grams of EM plus 21 ml of our base* for a 30% solution

The other half is 8 grams of EM, 1 gram of Ethyl Vanillin plus 21 ml of our base* to equal the 30% solution

Very interesting chemical occurence - we're using a heated ultrasonic, shaking the two bottles thoroughly every 5-8 minutes. The batch with the Ethyl Vanilla crystals went into solution within 30-45 minutes - but two hours later the batch with only the EM is still semi-cloudy. We don't have/use a microwave, so I'll soak the EM solution in boiling water for a few minutes - that should finish it off.

Right now, the one with the vanillin smells incredible - we're so looking forward to trying both (as we both have come down with our first case of vaper's tongue and everything tastes terrible...grrrr).

In doing the math on this I find that this works out to basically be a typical 10% EM solution...so is there (or not) any difference between this and typical 'cotton candy'? If so, what might account for the difference?

*Our base = 80% VG; 9% distilled water; 2% PGA; 9% saline solution (standard sterile saline .9%)

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
'Just got finished mixing, steeping & shaking (in the ultrasonic w/ heat for an hour)...and tasting.

We're both thrilled to be able to taste something...and what we taste is fantastic! The one with the vanillin crystals steals my heart :)

For those wondering, yep, it does taste very similar to other cotton candy's we've tried in the past...but for some reason it does seem somehow more rich (?) more 'depth' (?). We're anxious to find out what it tastes like when we're over our case of vaper's tongue.

Thanks for a great recipe and addition to our DIY inventory!

Lyndagayle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Arkansas
Mixin' up big batches right now...with a twist.

One 30ml batch of 'flavoring' is "as written", using 9 grams of EM plus 21 ml of our base* for a 30% solution

The other half is 8 grams of EM, 1 gram of Ethyl Vanillin plus 21 ml of our base* to equal the 30% solution

Very interesting chemical occurence - we're using a heated ultrasonic, shaking the two bottles thoroughly every 5-8 minutes. The batch with the Ethyl Vanilla crystals went into solution within 30-45 minutes - but two hours later the batch with only the EM is still semi-cloudy. We don't have/use a microwave, so I'll soak the EM solution in boiling water for a few minutes - that should finish it off.

Right now, the one with the vanillin smells incredible - we're so looking forward to trying both (as we both have come down with our first case of vaper's tongue and everything tastes terrible...grrrr).

In doing the math on this I find that this works out to basically be a typical 10% EM solution...so is there (or not) any difference between this and typical 'cotton candy'? If so, what might account for the difference?

*Our base = 80% VG; 9% distilled water; 2% PGA; 9% saline solution (standard sterile saline .9%)
The cotton candy you buy premixed is a 10% solution. I could never get the richness that I was seeking with that recipe so I mixed some super concentrated EM and voila! I've found that the super concentrated version does more for less in my mixes. Most people are happy with the 10% saturation and that's great but I like it stronger, especially for this particular recipe. Glad you like it! :)

I've never tried the vanillin crystals. I might just have to give that a shot.

Last edited:

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
EM CONCENTRATION & PERCENTAGE

Cotton Candy (typically a 10% EM solution in a PG base)
VS.
This recipe (a 30% EM/PG solution mixed as directed, adding the 30% EM/PG solution to a VG/nic base)​

For a 100ml bottle, a typical Cotton Candy e-liquid would use 10 grams of EM crystals mixed with 90 mls of base (VG or PG or blend of both with nic - most typically PG)

In a 100ml bottle, this Lucious would use 70mls of VG/nic with the addition of 30 mls of a 30% EM solution (in PG). That 30mls of EM solution (30% solution) would be 10 grams of EM crystals and 20 mls of PG.

Wowee - both recipes use the same concentration of EM crystals! The ratio of EM crystals to "base" is the same in typical Cotton Candy as it is in Lucious - it's just prepared in a different manner.

So (assuming my math is correct), whatever differences there are between this and typical "Cotton Candy" would be attributed to the increased VG, the sweetener, the vinegar (or any wee-smidge of EM over the 30%).

--70% (or more) VG would certainly account for the large amounts of vapor.

-- VG (to most) vapes more 'flavorless' than PG (so perhaps the VG would allow the flavor of the EM to come through more/better, maybe).

--Since most Cotton Candy's are going to be high/all PG, perhaps there's some beneficial chemical-play going on between VG and the EM.

Any other thoughts/possibilities?

hildicat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2011
SoCal
EM CONCENTRATION & PERCENTAGE

Cotton Candy (typically a 10% EM solution in a PG base)
VS.
This recipe (a 30% EM/PG solution mixed as directed, adding the 30% EM/PG solution to a VG/nic base)​

For a 100ml bottle, a typical Cotton Candy e-liquid would use 10 grams of EM crystals mixed with 90 mls of base (VG or PG or blend of both with nic - most typically PG)

In a 100ml bottle, this Lucious would use 70mls of VG/nic with the addition of 30 mls of a 30% EM solution (in PG). That 30mls of EM solution (30% solution) would be 10 grams of EM crystals and 20 mls of PG.

Wowee - both recipes use the same concentration of EM crystals! The ratio of EM crystals to "base" is the same in typical Cotton Candy as it is in Lucious - it's just prepared in a different manner.

So (assuming my math is correct), whatever differences there are between this and typical "Cotton Candy" would be attributed to the increased VG, the sweetener, the vinegar (or any wee-smidge of EM over the 30%).

--70% (or more) VG would certainly account for the large amounts of vapor.

-- VG (to most) vapes more 'flavorless' than PG (so perhaps the VG would allow the flavor of the EM to come through more/better, maybe).

--Since most Cotton Candy's are going to be high/all PG, perhaps there's some beneficial chemical-play going on between VG and the EM.

Any other thoughts/possibilities?

That would be true if you vaped pure cotton candy flavor (10% solution in PG). Most people do not, however buy cotton candy flavor and pour it straight into a tank. The flavor is typically used in a recipe, ranging anywhere from 0.1 to 10% of the total finished juice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread